“Good hotel, strange location”

Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
detroit
“Good hotel, strange location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

This hotel is plunked down next to what looks like a failed industrial incubator -- a former GM plant that used to employ 3,000 people that now looks as though it employs about 3 dozen, based on the number of cars in its parking lot when we arrived. There are lots of other factories within a mile or two, though -- this is Kalamazoo's industrial area. The hotel itself is several hundred yards from any other building between the GM plant and the highway. You can't really walk to anything nearby except a gas station and a couple of other hotels. That said, the hotel itself is fine -- very clean, almost new. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, with a nice firm bed, flat panel TV, table for two, recliner, and nearly a full kitchen -- full size refrigerator, microwave, two-burner cooktop and silverware, dishes, pots, pans and glasses for two. (Obvoiusly this place is meant for extended stay.) There's a little convenience store in the lobby with microwave meals and other foods you can buy. There's also wicked fast hard-wired Internet access, five mpbs download and 2 mpbs up. If you're doing business at one of the factories nearby, or here for a hockey game or tournament at nearby Wings Stadium, this place would be OK. (No pool is a drawback for families with kids who like to play in pools, though.) Otherwise, Kalamazoo has better choices in this price range.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
debbiem12, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Since our opening in the fall of 2009, we have established ourselves as one the top performing hotels in the greater Kalamazoo area. The once closed GM plant is now a thriving business park that has brought hundreds of jobs to the Kalamazoo area. We are indeed delighted to have contributed to the vitality of the area with the addition of our extended-stay property to the hospitality market. We offer studio and one-bedroom suites---all featuring full size appliances and cookware. We are growing as fast as the speed of our internet! We extend a sincere welcome to both business and leisure travelers coming to the Kalamazoo area, and thank those valued guests who have selected us for their traveling needs.

Candlewood Suites-Kalamazoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Munith,MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites for one night. I must say it was a extremley nice place to stay. The beds were good and a very very clean hotel. The staff was friendly and helpfull also. If I ever need to stay in Kalamazoo again or any place with a Candlewood suites, I will check for avalability.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
On behalf of our entire staff here at Candlewood, we would like to thank you for your kind remarks. We value our guests and we are delighted that you enjoyed you stay with us! Please visit us again if you are traveling in the Kalamazoo area!

Titusville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

We retuned multiple times over an 8 month period, so we got to experience every aspect of this hotel. The rooms are upscale with granite countertops & tasetful decorating, high speed internet and great workspaces. They were very clean and have fantastic beds. The staff is so helpful and made us feel like we were coming home. We enjoyed weekly Manager's Receptions with catered meals, fresh fuit every morning and free on site laundry facilities. We highly recommend Candlewood Suites of Kalamazoo.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank evangelista_joan
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! The true test of the success of our hotel is the extent to which we make our guest feel at home! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are so happy we made you feel at home!

Allen Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

This hotel looks pretty new and it caters more to the business traveler. They only have housekeeping once a week unless you request it otherwise, but for just passing through, it was fine. It was clean and maintained well. The rooms have a small kitchenette in them, too.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive feedback. We strive to ensure that our guests have a pleasant experience during their stay. We hope we have the opportunity of servicing you again in the future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2010

No free breakfast, rude staff, hotel room dirty, difficult to access, nothing in walking distance, and did I mention no free breakfast? Cmon folks for the price I was paying, a hotel like this should have a free breakfast. Only nice thing was that the rooms were pretty nice inside except for the cleanliness issue. If they get a better staff and a free breakfast I might consider going back. Until then I am going to continue to stay at the nearby options that offer free breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010
We would like to meet the expectations of each of our valued guests. I deeply apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. As a brand, Candlewood Suites hotels do not serve breakfast, as is our standard. Many of our extended-stay guests have found that our fully-equipped kitchens have lead to a huge savings in terms of food costs. Though we do not feature a complimentary breakfast, we do offer complimentary coffee, tea and fresh fruit daily. Additionally, we feature our Candlewood Cupboard, an on-sight convenience store where snacks and drinks may be purchased our charged to your room. Again, I apologize that our brand failed to meet your needs and hope that you may give us another chance should you revisit the Kalamazoo area. Thank you again for staying with us.

St. Joseph, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

I always like to stay at newer hotels and this one fit that requirement at less that one year. The rooms were clean and spacious. It is in a great location with easy access to Interstate 94.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to extend our thanks to you for taking the time out to give us such positive feedback. We genuinely appreciate it!

Regards,
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

We had booked a 1 bedroom suite (king bed along with a pullout sofa sleeper) for our stay on June 19, 2010. I was traveling with my 3 teenagers. We got to the hotel later than expected (around 11pm) due to storms on the drive to Kalamazoo. Upon check in, they gave me a room and I asked if it was the 1 bedroom suite we reserved. The front desk stated that the only room they had left was a standard room (one king bed only in the room). I showed them my confirmation which indicated that I had reserved the suite. I informed them that a room with only one bed for myself and 3 teenagers would not do. They told me to go up to my room and they would let me know shortly what they could do. I said that since there wasn't anymore rooms open at the hotel, I wasn't sure what they meant by 'they would see what they could do'. I mentioned to them that I knew of several other suite hotels in the area which might have an open room in case they could call them and arrange a transfer. They were able to find the Best Western Suites about 5 miles away which did have a Suite available, so after packing up the car again we drove over to it and had a very nice stay. Also, some other reviewers noted that this hotel has a nice free breakfast, but that is not true. I even showed the manager the print out I had showing the reviews, and he said he wasn't sure what they were referring to. His hotel does not offer any type of free breakfast and does not even have an eating area for such a meal. So be careful if you plan to stay here and have a breakfast the next morning. I travel alot and know that situations like this come up every now and then, so I wasn't very upset when it did happen. It was just the last thing you want to hear when it is late at night and you spent the entire day driving with your family that your room is not at the hotel.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
We sincerely regret the situation that occurred in connection with the room booking. It appears that due to a system error, our property was listed as having a room that we did not along with amenities that we do not offer. Though such a glitch is certainly an exception and not the rule, it is understandable that this was very disappointing to our guest. Fortunately we were able to secure suitable accommodations for the guest in a nearby area hotel that was able to fit the needs of his family. Additionally, follow-up was done to ensure that such a situation did not reoccur. Thank you again for your patience and constructive feedback.