“Room not available for our stay”

Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We had booked a 1 bedroom suite (king bed along with a pullout sofa sleeper) for our stay on June 19, 2010. I was traveling with my 3 teenagers. We got to the hotel later than expected (around 11pm) due to storms on the drive to Kalamazoo. Upon check in, they gave me a room and I asked if it was the 1 bedroom suite we reserved. The front desk stated that the only room they had left was a standard room (one king bed only in the room). I showed them my confirmation which indicated that I had reserved the suite. I informed them that a room with only one bed for myself and 3 teenagers would not do. They told me to go up to my room and they would let me know shortly what they could do. I said that since there wasn't anymore rooms open at the hotel, I wasn't sure what they meant by 'they would see what they could do'. I mentioned to them that I knew of several other suite hotels in the area which might have an open room in case they could call them and arrange a transfer. They were able to find the Best Western Suites about 5 miles away which did have a Suite available, so after packing up the car again we drove over to it and had a very nice stay. Also, some other reviewers noted that this hotel has a nice free breakfast, but that is not true. I even showed the manager the print out I had showing the reviews, and he said he wasn't sure what they were referring to. His hotel does not offer any type of free breakfast and does not even have an eating area for such a meal. So be careful if you plan to stay here and have a breakfast the next morning. I travel alot and know that situations like this come up every now and then, so I wasn't very upset when it did happen. It was just the last thing you want to hear when it is late at night and you spent the entire day driving with your family that your room is not at the hotel.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
debbiem12, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

We sincerely regret the situation that occurred in connection with the room booking. It appears that due to a system error, our property was listed as having a room that we did not along with amenities that we do not offer. Though such a glitch is certainly an exception and not the rule, it is understandable that this was very disappointing to our guest. Fortunately we were able to secure suitable accommodations for the guest in a nearby area hotel that was able to fit the needs of his family. Additionally, follow-up was done to ensure that such a situation did not reoccur. Thank you again for your patience and constructive feedback.

Reviewed 30 June 2010

My 12 year daughter was playing tennis in the biggest tournament of the year, the Midwest Closed. I didn't get a room until she qualified for the tourney at the beginning of the month. When I called to book the reservation, I told them that I needed two rooms from Thursday June 24 through Sunday June 27 and if she won, I would just recheck in on Sunday. I admit I did not check the confirmation because I had such a long conversation with reservations. We checked in at 1:30 a.m. on Friday, June 25 and thought we were good until Sunday. On Saturday morning because of a rain delay, I did two loads of laundry and could not dry the clothes because the hotel was drying towels in all three dryers. I took the clothes out and put two loads in one dryer and then checked and saw my daughter still needed to report at her regular time. I unloaded wet clothes thinking I would dry later. My daughter played singles and doubles in the afternoon. The hotel called at 2:30 wondering why we hadn't checked out. When I checked my phone and called them at 3:30 I told them I wasn't leaving my daughter and as soon as she was done I would come there to deal with the situation. When I arrived, they had packed both of our rooms, including liquor and things in the freezer. My wet clothes were in bags. My 69 year old mother spread everything out in the lobby to see if they had stolen anything. They charged us a $50.00 late fee and $25.00 service fee. They did nothing to help us look for another hotel. It was one of the most demeaning experiences of my life and a terrible situation for my daughter for the biggest tournament of the year. When I complained to guest relations on Monday, June 28, they were horrified. The general manager called on Tuesday, June 29 and told me they followed hotel policy. Guest relations then told me that the matter was closed. We ended up at the Red Roof Inn a mile from Candlewood were they treated us very kindly and with respect.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank SouthernILTennismom
debbiem12, Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2010

To ensure the accuracy of each reservation, our hotel utilizes a 3-step confirmation procedure that includes: 1) Confirming the dates and rates at the time the reservation is made;
2) Sending an email to the guest confirming dates and rates; and 3) Confirming the rate and checkout date once the guest arrives by asking them to initial both on their registration card at check-in. In this particular case, all three hotel procedures were followed. Unfortunately, as the guest states, they did not review the confirmation that was sent to them; or review the checkout date on their registration card at check-in. Since the dates of the guest's stay were during an area-wide sell-out, we regretfully were unable to extend the guest's stay beyond their confirmed checkout date, as their two rooms had been reserved by other guests who were due to arrive that afternoon. The hotel made three earnest attempts to contact the guest to explain the situation; however, the guest was unwilling to return to the hotel and check out, stating she would be there "whenever she would be there", and hung up on our Guest Service Associate. In an effort to secure alternate accomodations for the guest, a hotel representative called multiple hotels in the area, however when we attempted to contact the guest to inform her, the guest again refused to listen and hung up. At 6:00 p.m. (approximately 6 hours after our hotel checkout time and three hours after our hotel check-in time), we had no other reasonable alternative other than removing and storing the guest's items in order to clean and prepare the room for the guests scheduled to arrive that day who had made confirmed reservations for the rooms. Extreme care was used in the handling of the guest's item and they remained stored in a secure location until the guest arrived at the hotel. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused by this situation and earnestly conveyed this to the guest. It is always our endeavor to satisfy every guest, every stay. However, given the particular details of this situation, we feel we did make every earnest attempt to act fairly and reasonable with all parties involved, as was later confirmed with our Guest Relations department when all of the facts were considered.

Reviewed 22 June 2010

This is the way a hotel should be! Super clean, very spacious, well appointed, warm and friendly. I had a difficult time with a death in the family and it felt comforting to go back to the hotel in the evenings. I have now stayed at the same hotel 3 times totaling 11 nights. You won't be dissapointed!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you so very much for your positve and heartfelt remarks. We here at Candlewood Suites take pride in making our guests feel at home, particularly during difficult times. On behalf of our entire staff, many thanks!

Reviewed 7 April 2010

My stay at the Candelwood Suites Kalamazoo was quite positive and pleasant. This is a new hotel, however, the maintenance and upkeep of the facility is quite evident. The current management team and the entire staff were very accomodating, courteous, polite and constantly professional.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business

We are delighted that you enjoyed our facility, and even more delighted that you were pleased with our service! We strive to ensure that each and every guest at our hotel not only is able to enjoy the beauty of our hotel ---- but that the true spirit of hospitality and service rings through as well. Our entire staff thanks you for staying with us, and hope you are able to return should you return to the Kalamazoo area.

Reviewed 21 February 2010

Came in town for a business trip with a few colleagues. This is a fairly new hotel and we were looking for a suite with plenty of room to do some work and relax as well. the hotel is very clean and the customer service is outstanding, the desk clerk that checked us in was great she even pointed us in the direction of some great places to eat. they even had a place on the ground floor called "The Cupboard" where you can purchase small things from toothbrush to even small snacks and even meals, it was great, all in all the experience was great and the service outstanding, we will be returning our next time down.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Many thanks for your positive feedback! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return!

Reviewed 17 February 2010

I had confirmed reservations for 2/13/2010 of a suite with a kitchen. We had asked for an early check in at 1pm. When we arrived our room was not ready. The front desk clerk was very nervous and asked us if we could downgrade our room. We told her no since we had made special plans and had brought food for the occassion. She then told us that she was the only person working and would clean our room herself and it would be ready in an hour could we wait. We opted to wait and left to find a cup of coffee. We came back at 2:10 pm. There were people in line checking in so we waited in the lobby. The desk clerk called my husband's name and handed him the phone. The manager of the hotel, Debbie, was on the line and told my husband that we would not be able to get the room for 2 -3 hours and there was no guarantee that it would be ready then since only one person was on duty and housekeeping had went home. My husband politely asked the manager why she couldn't get in her car and come down to help the frazzled desk clerk or call housekeeping to clean our room. She told us that she could not do that. I am a general manager of a company and would never treat a customer like that. I haven't spoken with anyone at the hotel regarding this. They haven't returned my calls. How can a big hotel have one person working the whole place on a busy Saturday at 1:00 in the afternoon? RIDICULOUS

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tricity_mom
debbiem12, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2010

Though we certainly attempt to accommodate early check-ins, we, like most hotels, are unable to guarantee them. Our confirmed check-in time is 3:00 p.m. Unfortunately in this case, we were unable to grant an early check-in, as we were sold out the night before. We did, however, assure the guest that his suite would be ready for his confirmed 3:00 p.m. check-in. Additionally, we contacted 3 other hotels in the area to find alternate acommodations that were ready for an earlier check-in to give the guest an additional option. We recognize the value of our customers and always attempt to meet the special requests of our guests. In most instances, we are able to grant early check-ins; but regretfully due to circumstances we were unable to do so in this case.

Reviewed 11 February 2010

Have stayed here five times and in some cases was the first person to stay in a room. The rooms are spacious and well appointed with a small kitchen area fully, equipped for basic cooking needs. HOWEVER - there is no continental breakfast (although they have a "store where you can purchase basics) and the room keys don't work after midnight SO if you go out in the morning and try to get back into your room you are out of luck. They have figured out how to by-pass this, but do not tell you upon check=in that this could be a problem. Very new and quiet.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Since our opening in the fall of 2009, we are happy to say that we have done the necessary "tweeking" to correct our room key issue. We appreciate your constructive feedback, as it allows us to enhance our product and services. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts and to allow us to serve you even better! We hope to see you again should you return to Kalamazoo!