“A Date Night Favorite”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 October 2012

The hubby and I really like this place and we visit when we can score some restaurant.com certificates, otherwise I think it would be too pricey for us. It's all appetizer portions, which is great if you kind of want a taste of everything. Margaritas are perfect. We always get the tableside guac. We really like the steak diablo. Not a place for kids.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

Lunch is a little different than dinner. Dinner is more like tapas, little servings of delicious foods that you can order and share with others. Lunch is regular entrees. Their guacamole is the best I have ever had. They make it fresh at your table in a HUGE bowl and you can choose the ingredients you want and don't want. NO frozen margaritas, but their drinks are unique and good. Parking is across the street and you have to pay, but it's definitely worth it.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Nothing was really bad about my experience at Casa Bolero. And I wished I could give it a higher mark than three, but good and not-so-good averaged out to a 3.

First the good. The atmosphere is really nice. The decor, staff, and cleanliness are a big home run. The margaritas we had were GOOD - maybe the best I've had in quite a while. We also had the table-side quacamole and it was very good - again, maybe the best I've had. The avocados were so fresh and mixed just right. I liked the chips they used too - not too big and not too thick. It was perfect.

Our small plates however, were just okay. I had a monthly special with thin sliced potatoes, cheeses and truffles. It was a bit on the greasy/spongy side and was inexplicably served on top of crostini french bread slices which really overloaded the starch. The grilled asparagus on top was over-grilled and burnt. My companion had a pork, apple, and butternut squash special. She gave me a taste and the pork was flavorful but a little dry. The squash had been over-grilled too and had a lot of char on it, and the pork was essentially served in a large hunk - not a very delicately plated small dish. On both dishes, the porportions just seemed wrong.

Not to be daunted, we each had a dessert - the flourless cake and a blueberry cheesecake that was one of the monthly specials. Again, the essential components were there, but proportions were off and the manner of plating took away from the dish and left it less that it could have been. A really good flourless cake has that dense but soft consistency. This was served as three small disks layered with too much raspberry sauce and topped with whipped cream. Each disk had a stiffness to it so that cutting into the stack made the whole thing fall apart. I didn't tasted my companion's dessert, but she had ordered it because she loves blueberries and there weren't many visible in it. She and I both ate only half of the plates.

The service was good - not exceptional but good. I was confused when my companion and I ordered our first small plates at the same time and the server brought mine 3-5 minutes before hers with no explanation. Since I waited to eat together, mine was only warm when I received it. Given the low traffic that night I don't know why the plates didn't come out together. We were there on a Monday night and it was so dead that they told us at 9:30 that it was last call and they'd be closing at 10. I would consider going back to try some of their salads and cold plates, but I'm not in a big hurry to go.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

We dined at Casa Bolero last evening and were extremely satisfied with their offerings. Being devoted customers at Fandango, Bolero's sister-restaurant on the Kalamazoo Mall, we were familiar with the small plate style dining experience. We were just in time for the Friday night half-off margarita special. Our server recommended the Anjeorita margarita as we mentioned we didn't want a sweet margarita & it was delicious! The tequila flavor was silky smooth. Our favorite entree was the Cilantro Pesto Quesadillas, followed by the Pacifico Fish Tacos. The chipotle aioli on the fish tacos gave the grilled tilapia a perfect kick. We ended our dinner with the Roasted Chili Mac & Cheese. Being a lover of the Fandango Manchego mac & cheese, I was not as fond of this dish, but that is strictly a matter of personal taste. The presentation was excellent with a cheese crisp of Gouda on the side. The dish had a considerable amount of heat due to the roasted poblanos and red peppers. All in all, it was a very pleasant dining experience. The dining room and bar area are large enough to accomodate groups without feeling crowded and the outside/streetside tables are perfect for groups of 2-4 for margaritas & guac. Will definitely return!

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I'm not sure why no one has addressed the fact that the name of the restaurant is in fact, Casa Bolero, not Cafe Bolero, bu that's completely beside the point. The food at Casa is delicious. I always get a Casarita and their tableside guacamole. They have weeknight specials that include half off guac or half off margs. I recently tried their queso as well and it was absolutely delicious. Take advantage of the outdoor seating during the warmer months, it's perfect for people watching in downtown Kalamazoo.
The food is delicious as well but since they are tapas style small plates, the guac is the way I always go.