“Robbed”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 March 2013

For what it's worth, the food was delicious. We left that night already thinking about when we were going to come back next and why we had waited so long to try the place.

Our bill was 40 dollars (two people) and I had used a 25 dollar gift card. Because of the gift card usage, they added the tip to my bill which ended up being around 7 bringing my total bill after the gift card to around 22 dollars. I gave the waiter an extra four dollars in cash.

A few days later I noticed a 32 dollar charge from casa bolero. Someone added in an extra 10 dollar tip for themselves. Not much I can do at this point except let people know the kind of place it is and never go back. Very unfortunate.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

We visited this restaurant as a party of five. First impressions were not great as the hostess told us they don't have tables for parties of five. That's one of the strangest things I've been told at a restaurant in a while. So, we had a table for four with an extra chair. Here's the highlights:
GOOD - Margaritas are very tasty. Lots of good variety. The food is also very good. Portions are small appetizer size but everything we tried was excellent.
BAD - Even though we enjoyed the food, service ruined this meal for us
- the hostess didn't know how to seat a table for five
- the waitress never checked back about drinks, including no refills on water
- the kitchen lost part of our order resulting in the waitress trying to bring us our bills before she even brought all of our food. Then she blamed the kitchen, never did anything to compensate for our really long wait AND added an automatic gratuity for poor service because someone at our table had a coupon
- and finally, I understand the concept of tapas/small plates, but your party should all be served the food at the same time. One guy at our table had to watch us all eat two plates before he got anything.
Overall, it is pricey for what you get. I don't mind paying for quality food, which I thought this was, but I need quality service to go with it. This place definitely didn't have both so I won't go back.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

We attempted to celebrate a birthday gathering one evening at CASA BOLERO, downtown Kalamazoo, but were turned away! The staff had decided to close early, "because things were slow." What a disappointment. I did call the restaurant manager and he apologized profusely, honoring the trouble with a gift certificate to come back.
We did return and service was slow, and staff uninformed. When listing my food sensitivities, the server checked with the chef and assured me none of my foods were included in the selections I ordered. They lied. It was obvious that one of the herbs was included and when asked, the server lied and said it was another food. It was embarrasing. Since we aren't able to trust the staff there, we will not return - free or otherwise.

1  Thank TakenByTravel777
Reviewed 12 October 2012

The hubby and I really like this place and we visit when we can score some restaurant.com certificates, otherwise I think it would be too pricey for us. It's all appetizer portions, which is great if you kind of want a taste of everything. Margaritas are perfect. We always get the tableside guac. We really like the steak diablo. Not a place for kids.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Nothing was really bad about my experience at Casa Bolero. And I wished I could give it a higher mark than three, but good and not-so-good averaged out to a 3.

First the good. The atmosphere is really nice. The decor, staff, and cleanliness are a big home run. The margaritas we had were GOOD - maybe the best I've had in quite a while. We also had the table-side quacamole and it was very good - again, maybe the best I've had. The avocados were so fresh and mixed just right. I liked the chips they used too - not too big and not too thick. It was perfect.

Our small plates however, were just okay. I had a monthly special with thin sliced potatoes, cheeses and truffles. It was a bit on the greasy/spongy side and was inexplicably served on top of crostini french bread slices which really overloaded the starch. The grilled asparagus on top was over-grilled and burnt. My companion had a pork, apple, and butternut squash special. She gave me a taste and the pork was flavorful but a little dry. The squash had been over-grilled too and had a lot of char on it, and the pork was essentially served in a large hunk - not a very delicately plated small dish. On both dishes, the porportions just seemed wrong.

Not to be daunted, we each had a dessert - the flourless cake and a blueberry cheesecake that was one of the monthly specials. Again, the essential components were there, but proportions were off and the manner of plating took away from the dish and left it less that it could have been. A really good flourless cake has that dense but soft consistency. This was served as three small disks layered with too much raspberry sauce and topped with whipped cream. Each disk had a stiffness to it so that cutting into the stack made the whole thing fall apart. I didn't tasted my companion's dessert, but she had ordered it because she loves blueberries and there weren't many visible in it. She and I both ate only half of the plates.

The service was good - not exceptional but good. I was confused when my companion and I ordered our first small plates at the same time and the server brought mine 3-5 minutes before hers with no explanation. Since I waited to eat together, mine was only warm when I received it. Given the low traffic that night I don't know why the plates didn't come out together. We were there on a Monday night and it was so dead that they told us at 9:30 that it was last call and they'd be closing at 10. I would consider going back to try some of their salads and cold plates, but I'm not in a big hurry to go.