“Fantastic!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

My husband and I just attended a Bells beer / tequila pairing with specially selected dishes at Casa Bolero. The chef came out and described each dish. He was very passionate about his food and every dish was delicious. The general manager educated us on the tequila and a representative from Bells educated us on the beer. My husband and I will definitely go back for dinner or another event. We originally did not hear great reviews on this restaurant, but I believe the chef is fairly new and the staff couldn't have been nicer. If you haven't tried it, you should.

• Visited April 2013

Portage, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Robbed”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

For what it's worth, the food was delicious. We left that night already thinking about when we were going to come back next and why we had waited so long to try the place.

Our bill was 40 dollars (two people) and I had used a 25 dollar gift card. Because of the gift card usage, they added the tip to my bill which ended up being around 7 bringing my total bill after the gift card to around 22 dollars. I gave the waiter an extra four dollars in cash.

A few days later I noticed a 32 dollar charge from casa bolero. Someone added in an extra 10 dollar tip for themselves. Not much I can do at this point except let people know the kind of place it is and never go back. Very unfortunate.

Kalamazoo, MI
“Not a good value - poor service”
Reviewed 19 January 2013

We visited this restaurant as a party of five. First impressions were not great as the hostess told us they don't have tables for parties of five. That's one of the strangest things I've been told at a restaurant in a while. So, we had a table for four with an extra chair. Here's the highlights:
GOOD - Margaritas are very tasty. Lots of good variety. The food is also very good. Portions are small appetizer size but everything we tried was excellent.
BAD - Even though we enjoyed the food, service ruined this meal for us
- the hostess didn't know how to seat a table for five
- the waitress never checked back about drinks, including no refills on water
- the kitchen lost part of our order resulting in the waitress trying to bring us our bills before she even brought all of our food. Then she blamed the kitchen, never did anything to compensate for our really long wait AND added an automatic gratuity for poor service because someone at our table had a coupon
- and finally, I understand the concept of tapas/small plates, but your party should all be served the food at the same time. One guy at our table had to watch us all eat two plates before he got anything.
Overall, it is pricey for what you get. I don't mind paying for quality food, which I thought this was, but I need quality service to go with it. This place definitely didn't have both so I won't go back.

• Visited January 2013
Michigan
“Food Good - Staff Not”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We attempted to celebrate a birthday gathering one evening at CASA BOLERO, downtown Kalamazoo, but were turned away! The staff had decided to close early, "because things were slow." What a disappointment. I did call the restaurant manager and he apologized profusely, honoring the trouble with a gift certificate to come back.
We did return and service was slow, and staff uninformed. When listing my food sensitivities, the server checked with the chef and assured me none of my foods were included in the selections I ordered. They lied. It was obvious that one of the herbs was included and when asked, the server lied and said it was another food. It was embarrasing. Since we aren't able to trust the staff there, we will not return - free or otherwise.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank TakenByTravel777
Michigan
“A Date Night Favorite”
Reviewed 12 October 2012

The hubby and I really like this place and we visit when we can score some restaurant.com certificates, otherwise I think it would be too pricey for us. It's all appetizer portions, which is great if you kind of want a taste of everything. Margaritas are perfect. We always get the tableside guac. We really like the steak diablo. Not a place for kids.

• Visited August 2012