“Nicest beds I've seen at a HI Express”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I decided to book their jacuzzi suite as it was only $20 more for a night and those tubs are always nice after a day of driving. I was in room 329, which was a corner room with lots of extra space. There was the tub near to the king size bed, a tv with a dvd/vcr, two windows, a little kitchenette and a nice size bathroom. Oh there was also a small table with two chairs. The tub was situated in a corner with mirrors on both walls, but not exactly at the tub level but higher than that. So if you were standing up you would see your face and torso. I don't get the point and then at night the light coming in through the windows was reflected back by those mirrors. The curtains were the general curtains almost every hotel room has that never quite seem to close. I ended up using a hair clip on each to block as much light as I could. The hotel is next to the freeway so the light coming in the room wasn't parking lights but from billboards!. Once I got that taken care of I still had to deal with the light from the door. Instead of coming in through just the bottom of the door, it was coming in from the side! In fact the door didn't completely shut on it's own most of the time. It's almost like it was a bit too small for the frame.

Once I got used to the light in the room the bed did prove to be very good for a HI Express and many other hotels. The pillows were average sadly. I did not even look at the pool so I can't comment on that. The lobby was nice and the breakfast area was nicely decorated and fairly large. Even on the weekends breakfast is from 6am-9:30am but I got there at 9:28 and there was still food out and it didn't appear anyone was rushing people to finish. Though when I checked out around 10, it was all cleaned up.

The elevator is rather small, which isn't a huge deal except they are renovating the stairs and hallways this week. One other small complaint was the air hadn't been turned on in my room before I checked in and as we've had a warm summer, it was quite warm in the room. Warmer than the 75-80 degrees it was outside. It took approx. 3 hours before I would have considered it cold, though with half an hour it had gotten better.

Even with the small issues I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 May 2011

We had the best night's sleep at this hotel. They had pocket doors between the sitting area and bedroom. So, all of those annoying lights from the microwave, hair dryer, crack underneath the door to the hallway, plus from all of our own electronics were shut out. It was so nice to have a dark room in which to sleep without having to go through a lot of trouble to cover up all of the offending lights. I'd love to see pocket doors in all hotel suites!

As for the other stuff. The young man we met upon checking in was a bit cool to us, but everyone else was very friendly. They are in the process of updating the hotel, and the rooms are very nice, so don't be too worried if the hall carpet looks like it needs to be replaced. I imagine that by the time some of you read this, it will have been. It was a non-smoking hotel, which is always a plus for me.

Room Tip: Request pocket doors.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 August 2010

The people of this hotel are GREAT!!!!!

This was a very nice hotel and your employees made it even better.

Will stay again when traveling

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2010

Made a reservation weeks in advance of a stay for a business trip. They couldn't find my last name in the computer. When I found my confirmation number, they admitted they gave my room away to someone else. I had to stay at a different hotel that night as they were at that point full.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2010

I was there for a company meeting and I used there meeting room. The staff was warm, friendly and helped me with all my needs. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone on a business trip or who needs a meeting space for a small group.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2009

This is a standard Holiday Inn Express, but for whatever reason, the rate was over $100. The TV was subpar, and the channel selection was only OK.

No complaitns about how I was treated, and the rooms were big and clean.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank GFKelly
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Very nice staff, very clean room with good internet connection and no hassles. Great parking and a good breakfast. I would recommend this place any time.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family