“Great Place”

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Lansing, Michigan
“Great Place”
Reviewed 2 February 2012

This is probably the nicest hotel I have been to in a long time. I was in town for work and will be staying here again if I come to town. The cleaning staff was tremendous and the desk lady Angel is the nicest person you will ever meet. She was busy every time I seen her which would make some people in annoyed but not her. She was very nice to me and I would stay here again just because of her. Plus she's gorgeous, if I didn't live 80 miles away I would definitely be asking her on a date. :-)

Room Tip: Room 303 is always nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on how wonderful the staff is. We take pride in going above and beyond to create a legendary experience for all of our guest. We look forward to accommodating you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I was in Kalamazoo on business. I was in this hotel from Monday thru Friday. I had a lovely stay in a very clean room. The staff was really great also. Excellent bargain. And I have hotel phobia so if I say I enjoyed it....then I enjoyed it. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank backpack42
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Thank you for not only taking the time to think of us in your spare moments, but to share your experience on TripAdvisor as well. This small act of kindness is worth more than you know and is truly appreciated. At the Holiday Inn Express of Kalamazoo we strive to create a stay filled with fond memories for every guest. Once again, thank you for the wonderful review and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We have stayed at this hotel often in the last 15yrs on trips back and forth across Michigan. I chose the hotel because I knew it well. We arrived to an 'empty' reception desk. I had to ring a bell, although the amount of noise we were making coming in should have been enough. The girl who came out, acted like I'd interrupted her. I am a gold PC member, so asked for an upgrade. She gave me a flat..nope...nothing available. It was after 10pm, and the parkinglot was empty. I also found out that the pool was being renovated, although the sign in the lobby said 'pool hours 7-11. She tossed me my key, and disappeared.
The room was 'fine', but the tub had hair in it and the last resident's shampoo was still in there. The sheets did not fit the bed, but the bedding was clean.
Breakfast was only until 9:30am on the weekend. Another detail the 'friendly' night staff forgot to mention in her hurry to get away from the desk. I ran down at 9:20 to find the usual HIEx fare. There was no fruit except for BLACK bananas. We went in and out to the car in the morning, and saw no one at the front desk.
At checkout, I had to AGAIN ring for service and wait. This time I was at least greeted with a smile, but this young lady looked like she'd just gotten home from a very rough night, messy hair, dirty T-shirt. She never asked if I'd enjoyed my stay or had any issues. I'm wondering if they'd stopped asking. It was Christmas Eve morning, and would have at leased liked to hear a 'happy holidays' from someone.
Although this hotel had the new HIEx sign, it appeared they'd done nothing to earn it. If they are in the process of remodelling, I hope they work on cleaning the place up a little. We won't bother to stay here again. There are many other hotels in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank IA_Canuck
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
On behalf of Holiday Inn Express, kindly acknowledge our sincere apologies for not giving the high standard of warmth hospitality that is the usual norm in the hotel. We regret the discomfort and the inconvenience that it caused you. I am new to the General Manager position here and have been diligently working on improving every aspect of the hotel, department by department. Your feedback is a great learning tool for me and has been taken to heart.

Please accept my apology for the difficulties and inconvenience you experienced. I am deeply troubled that your recent stay with us has caused you, our valued guest, to not want to stay again. I have looked into your feedback and after much review, I have narrowed down the cause of each issue and have taken appropriate action.

At Holiday Inn Express, we are in constant pursuit of perfection and are already working on solutions that will prevent similar problems from occurring in the future. I truly hope that you will give us another chance as this is not the routine service we strive to provide. I assure you that your future visit will be nothing like this one. If there are any further concerns or complaints please feel free to contact me.

Karissa Baker
Interim GM
kbaker@alliancehospitality.com
269-373-0770
Evergreen Park, Illinois
Reviewed 15 December 2011

My husband and I stayed for one night in a king bedroom. We came to Kalamazoo for Bell's Brewery's Eccentric Day. The hotel location was very quiet and there were plenty of fast food options (Taco Bell, Burger King, Denny's, etc.) for anyone with a need for a quick snack or meal. Bell's was within a reasonable distance with only a couple of turns.

The hotel was very clean and the eating area was a good size with a warm and welcoming fireplace. Our room was spacious and clean and the beds were very comfortable with the pillows being some of the very best I have ever slept on! The only complaint I have is that the lighting in the bathroom is SO DIM. I am a female who wears make-up and likes to do her hair and the lighting was just awful in the bathroom. The shower had very good pressure and the room was nice and warm for our chilly December night.

The breakfast was included and it was the typical free breakfast fare. Nothing stood out here, not even the well publicized cinnamon rolls. I think I would stick to the cold options and enjoy a bagel or toast with my cereal or oatmeal. That's usually enough to make it to lunch anyway.

Overall I would saty at this hotel again when I am in the area for an event and I would recommend it to just about anyone.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank terrapin21
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 16 December 2011
First of all, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write this lovely review. Secondly, I would like to let you know that you are not the only guest that has mentioned the bathroom light is too dim and we have taken that to heart. As part of our Property Improvement Plan we are replacing the wallpaper and light fixtures in every guest bathroom. We have 4 rooms complete as of this week and the new lighting combined with the lighter wallpaper is a HUGE improvement. I am excited for when you return so you can experience the new lighting in person! We look forward to your next visit with us!
tawas
Reviewed 3 December 2011

book this hotel because it was on our route to my sister's place. The price was reasonable. The staff from the front desk to the breakfast ladies were friendly and helpful. Gave us a complimentary 2 bottled water and snack. The room was clean and neat. Had a comfortable night sleep from a long day's travel. Will definitely stay in this hotel again. Keep up the excellent work.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TawasKayaker
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 4 December 2011
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express of Kalamazoo as your place to rest while traveling. We appreciate your heart warming review and are very pleased that you took the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. The staff here are extremely motivated to provide memorable stays for all of our guest and look forward to accommodating you and your family in the future.
Norway
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We chose the Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Kalamazoo not only because of their reasonable rates, but because of the stay we had last summer at a Holiday Inn Express in Wausau, Wisconsin. It seems apparent that the company is intent on providing a clean room, great amenities, and an excellent breakfast at every one of their facilities, and we hope to check out more of them in the future. A great stay at to different locations seems to support this theory. Our only problem was with the heating system, but by leaving the fan on continuously, we were able to get the room down to a comfortable temperature. We were given the option of relocating, but we wanted to stay on the first floor, and the problem was not too big of a deal. The office staff was friendly and well trained, and the morning breakfast buffet exceeds expectations for a hotel at this price. Wish the pool area had a whirlpool, not sure why you'd build an aquatic area and NOT have one, but that was minor. Worst part about the weekend was having to go home:-)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Thank you very much for your pleasant review. At the Holiday Inn Express of Kalamazoo we strive to go above and beyod our guest expectations in order to create a memorable experience that will enspire you to tell everyone! We appreciate the time you took to express your feelings here on tripadvisor and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Kalamazoo!
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Only complaint is the noise of the highway. It is right outside the window. Otherwise mo complaints. Clean with great staff!

• Stayed November 2011
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Thank you very much for choosing Holiday Inn Express as your hotel of choice while in Kalamazoo! I have shared this review with the entire staff. We all appreciate your kind remarks in regards to your recent stay with us and look forward to seeing you in the future!