“Amazing Internet!!!”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The internet at this place rocks! I was able to get download speeds of up to 1MB/s, just like I get at home! Truly outstanding. Anywho, the rest of the place was great, room was clean and comfortable. The only reason I did not give this 5 stars is because the bed was lumpy.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Thank you for contributing your opinion about the Holiday Inn Express & Suites of Kalamazoo on TripAdvisor. We are very proud of our internet connection. In order to provide the best connection for every guest, we have 6 different access points through out our building. One access point on each end of the hall on each floor. You dont find that in a lot of hotels! This is definitely a plus for business travelers needing to do work or leisure travelers looking to download games/videos.

Come back and use our complimentary blazing fast wireless internet anytime!

We look forward to accommodating you in the future.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I live in Chicago and travel to Michigan to see my dad who has cancer. It is imperative to have a comfortable place to stay, especially since I hate not being in my own bed probably more than the average person. Let me name the perfect things at this hotel: the staff, the room, the cleanliness, the smoke-free status, the mattress, the pillows, the coffee, the internet connection, the flat screen t.v., the ironing board and iron, the swimming pool, the fitness room, and even the breakfast! All for 99.99 on a last minute check-in, can't beat that. Small things that were also good: the smell of the soap and the way the room was very darkened by the curtains at night for good sleeping. The only bad thing was my own lack of forethought: the sun shining directly into my room early in the morning when I didn't go to sleep until 2 a.m. Note to self: room on the other side of the hotel next time. There is a little sound from the expressway if you are sensitive to that but it didn't bother me at all. Let me say again that the staff were super friendly and attentive. Thanks for a great stay and I will be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to boast about us on TripAdvisor! I sincerely appreciate the time you spent reviewing the hotel and all the kind comments you shared. The outlook you had on your stay is exactly what we pride ourselves in.

I understand there are a lot of other choices for accommodation in Kalamazoo and especially appreciate that you chose us. I am forwarding on this wonderful review to the staff. This way they know how great of a job they are doing and to keep up the heartwarming hospitality.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

As with other hotels in the HI Express chain, this hotel is not fancy but was very clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was very friendly. There was plenty of the breakfast foods and it was very good. The internet worked well and the location is perfect for those passing through - right off of the highway.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Thank you for the kind review. We pride ourselves in treating every guest like family by greeting them with a warm smile as soon as they arrive to making sure everything is perfect during their stay and wishing them a fond fairwell upon their departure.

We look forward to accommodating you in the future!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stay at HIE's because we have come to enjoy their consistent commitment to quality. Every hotel seems nearly identical in a comforting way. My children thought we were on the way to florida. They look that alike. The HIE in K-zoo was no surprise. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Checking in was painless. When asked for a room preference, experience has taught me to ask for a room away from the parking lot. In this case puts you at highway side of things. It could be a distraction if the windows were open for fresh air. Not a problem for us.

The room was clean and well made. There was a strong air freshener odor that quickly cleared after the windows were opened. My blanket had a couple of grease like marks on it ,but was not a problem. I strip those off as a rule since they are the least cleaned item on the bed. The shower had good pressure and instantly hot water. The water was softened which I really enjoy. The bathroom was clean which is very important to me.

Breakfast was really good and worth the visit. Good quality and well stocked well after the end of breakfast hours. It one of those things that keeps me coming back since the rest of my family are not early risers. This hotel looked adequately staffed.

This hotel is easy to find right off of the highway, but is adjacent to an industrial area that is not too picturesque. It is a better choice than a couple of the brand new hotels dropped into what I would consider less than desirable neighborhoods that I recall from working in the area. The only bad marks I could give are on the cleanliness of the common areas around the elevators.

• Stayed: February 2012
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your experience at the Holiday Inn Express of Kalamazoo! We greatly appreciate your feedback and have noted the areas where we can improve. As part of the Holiday Inn Brand we strive to create a consistent and memorable experience for every guest.

I am very happy to read that you always stay at Holiday Inn Express. Your loyalty means the world to us!

We look forward to accommodating you and your family in the future!

Reviewed 2 February 2012

This is probably the nicest hotel I have been to in a long time. I was in town for work and will be staying here again if I come to town. The cleaning staff was tremendous and the desk lady Angel is the nicest person you will ever meet. She was busy every time I seen her which would make some people in annoyed but not her. She was very nice to me and I would stay here again just because of her. Plus she's gorgeous, if I didn't live 80 miles away I would definitely be asking her on a date. :-)

Room Tip: Room 303 is always nice.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on how wonderful the staff is. We take pride in going above and beyond to create a legendary experience for all of our guest. We look forward to accommodating you in the future.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

I was in Kalamazoo on business. I was in this hotel from Monday thru Friday. I had a lovely stay in a very clean room. The staff was really great also. Excellent bargain. And I have hotel phobia so if I say I enjoyed it....then I enjoyed it. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank backpack42
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Thank you for not only taking the time to think of us in your spare moments, but to share your experience on TripAdvisor as well. This small act of kindness is worth more than you know and is truly appreciated. At the Holiday Inn Express of Kalamazoo we strive to create a stay filled with fond memories for every guest. Once again, thank you for the wonderful review and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

We have stayed at this hotel often in the last 15yrs on trips back and forth across Michigan. I chose the hotel because I knew it well. We arrived to an 'empty' reception desk. I had to ring a bell, although the amount of noise we were making coming in should have been enough. The girl who came out, acted like I'd interrupted her. I am a gold PC member, so asked for an upgrade. She gave me a flat..nope...nothing available. It was after 10pm, and the parkinglot was empty. I also found out that the pool was being renovated, although the sign in the lobby said 'pool hours 7-11. She tossed me my key, and disappeared.
The room was 'fine', but the tub had hair in it and the last resident's shampoo was still in there. The sheets did not fit the bed, but the bedding was clean.
Breakfast was only until 9:30am on the weekend. Another detail the 'friendly' night staff forgot to mention in her hurry to get away from the desk. I ran down at 9:20 to find the usual HIEx fare. There was no fruit except for BLACK bananas. We went in and out to the car in the morning, and saw no one at the front desk.
At checkout, I had to AGAIN ring for service and wait. This time I was at least greeted with a smile, but this young lady looked like she'd just gotten home from a very rough night, messy hair, dirty T-shirt. She never asked if I'd enjoyed my stay or had any issues. I'm wondering if they'd stopped asking. It was Christmas Eve morning, and would have at leased liked to hear a 'happy holidays' from someone.
Although this hotel had the new HIEx sign, it appeared they'd done nothing to earn it. If they are in the process of remodelling, I hope they work on cleaning the place up a little. We won't bother to stay here again. There are many other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank IA_Canuck
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

On behalf of Holiday Inn Express, kindly acknowledge our sincere apologies for not giving the high standard of warmth hospitality that is the usual norm in the hotel. We regret the discomfort and the inconvenience that it caused you. I am new to the General Manager position here and have been diligently working on improving every aspect of the hotel, department by department. Your feedback is a great learning tool for me and has been taken to heart.

Please accept my apology for the difficulties and inconvenience you experienced. I am deeply troubled that your recent stay with us has caused you, our valued guest, to not want to stay again. I have looked into your feedback and after much review, I have narrowed down the cause of each issue and have taken appropriate action.

At Holiday Inn Express, we are in constant pursuit of perfection and are already working on solutions that will prevent similar problems from occurring in the future. I truly hope that you will give us another chance as this is not the routine service we strive to provide. I assure you that your future visit will be nothing like this one. If there are any further concerns or complaints please feel free to contact me.

Karissa Baker