“Very convenient hotel, but no outside window that opens”

Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West - Western Michigan U
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This will probably not be an issue all year rond, but I like to sleep with a window open. This however is a true motel, with outside corridors and airconditioners on the corridor. If you want to sleep in a cool room, your only option is to turn on the noisy airconditioner. If you are not bothered by this, then the room is as standard: spacious, clean.

This hotel is available trough Hotwire.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
tnortham, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West - Western Michigan U, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for your review.

We are sorry that our windows don't open because we know how refreshing it can be when they do, but we are pleased that you enjoyed our clean rooms.

I will make sure to share your comments with our team.

We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed here for one night while visiting family. The hotel is a typical Red Rood property, meaning outside corridors, no elevators and fairly basic accommodations. Front desk service was excellent: the managers do a fine job. We had the larger king room; the sink was in the room, and the toilet/shower was in one of the smallest bathrooms I have ever seen. We did not use the microwave or refrigerator, but imagine they could come in handy. Cleanliness was adequate but the tub could have been cleaner. The bed was of the old quilted bedspread and blanket variety. The price was pretty steep, probably because it was a busy weekend in town and the hotel was full.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed the service provided by our front desk team.

I wanted you to know that we are currently in the middle of a renovation in which we will be replacing all of our beds, bedspreads, curtains and flooring. I am sure that you will enjoy the update to our product.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Our son was just accepted at Western Michigan University! We stayed here for two nights on this trip and one night on a previous trip in June of 2013. The rooms were clean and comfortable and had plenty of space for the three of us and our dog. We always get a room with a refrigerator and microwave and both worked fine. The flat screen TV was very nice! Staff was friendly and wonderful when we needed extra towels and shampoo. Great place to stay...close to the campus at the right price! You will be seeing us again over the next 4 years!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the cleanliness of our rooms and the service that our staff was able to provide for you. We have many guests that stay with us when they visit Western Michigan University and we enjoy our relationship with them.

We are pleased that we will be seeing you again.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

After driving over 1000 miles with two young children, I arrived at this hotel. It was very easy to find. The man behind the desk was very knowledgeable about the area and he was more than happy to take the time to show us local attractions that I could take the kids to that afternoon. he was spot on. His directions were great. The hotel is near a few different universities, but it doesn't seem that way.

Upon entering the room, I noticed that it smelled(good smell) very strongly of some sort of exotic fruit like mango or something. the room was neat and organized. The mattresses were old and very used.

If it wasn't for the strong(but good) smell and the very soft mattress, This hotel was perfect. I would ABSOLUTELY go back there and I RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE TRAVELING THROUGH THE KALAMAZOO WEST AREA.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
tnortham, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West - Western Michigan U, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a wonderful review.

I am happy that you were able to relax after your long journey and that our staff was able to assist you with finding our great local attractions.

Please know that all of our beds are being replaced next month as we go through a renovation project.

I will make sure to share your comments with our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

It is truly a pleasure having you as our guest and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Great place to stay that is close to everything I needed. Sharon at the front desk was especially helpful when I needed to fax something. My computer was not working properly and she faxed everything I needed faxed, was a life saver!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am happy that Sharon was able to help you with your business and that you enjoyed our wonderful location.

I will make sure to share your comments with Sharon and the rest of our team.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We are from PA our daughter is a student at WMU. We have visited this hotel frequently/monthly in the past 4 years that our daughter has gone to college. On our first visit 4 years ago we were treated wonderfully and over the years we have been treated excellent ever since. LIke all hotels and public areas we had some small issues but when addressed they are taken care of right away without fail to make it right. One employee that we would like to point out is Craig. We make it a rule to call the hotel itself and make our reservation and Every time we call for reservation and Craig answers he recognizes our voices. This is awesome and makes us feel part of the Red Roof family. When Criag is at the desk at Check in or check out he recognizes us and makes us feel welcomed and at home! He is a wonderful person and employee! Thank you Craig and Staff at the Red Roof, if any of you reading this are in the Kalamazoo area rather you are staying for a long period of time or just a night, Please stay at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West (WMU), They will take great care of you and it is clean and wonderful place to stay! Tell Craig we said Hello

Room Tip: We always stay on the first floor and over the years I think we have stayed in every room ahahah. Th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
tnortham, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West - Western Michigan U, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Wow!! What a wonderful review. I will certainly tell Craig hello and share this outstanding review with him as well as with my team.

We are so pleased that you enjoy Craig and and our hotel. We are also pleased that it has been conveniant for you to stay here as you visit your daughter at Western Michigan University.

Again, thank you for your praise, it is people like you that make our jobs most enjoyable.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

As always our stay at this location is Great Craig has been here year after year and is always helpful, friendly and I appreciate his deadication to your facility. We had stayed down the road at another hotel for years ( we have traveled for over 20 yrs to the Kalamazoo speedway for this event) and after a few years of bad experience we tried This Red Roof and have continued to return for many years now.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the service that Craig was able to provide for you. We are also happy that you noticed Craig's dedication to our company, he does take pride in his work and it shows in the many compliments that he receives for the service that he provides to our guests.

I will make sure to share your comments with Craig and the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome.