“Disappointing, mainly from the atrocious customer service.”
Review of Motel 6 Kalamazoo

Motel 6 Kalamazoo
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Disappointing, mainly from the atrocious customer service.”
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I've read the prior reviews, and was even warned off by another hotel service in the area, but I found that there was some effort to renovate the hotel room. It was a garish orange with cold, large-tile floors, barren and stripped down, not exactly in the line of comfort, but it was 'clean'. Definitely no-frills. The flush handle of the commode did not work, so I had to remove the back of the toilet to flush it. The mattress was clean without any signs of infestation, but the sheets were the barest excuse for actual sheets. There was a lot of traffic of people going past my window and door in the night, which was especially troublesome given the few numbers of cars there. The air/heat did work fine and there was no overtly offensive odor to the room. It wasn't stale or laden with tobacco odors. The worst part in the morning was having my door banged on my housekeeping at 10 am. I told them to go away, and they just kept banging and banging. I called the front desk; they said they would handled it and I could have until noon, but the banging kept going and the man was even laughing. In the end the woman at the front counter basically said I was making it up. I'm a long time Motel 6 user, but this one goes down as the worst, even with the attempts to renovate and improve. Motel 6 needs to pull the name off this one. Any pluses? Well, the WiFi was free and moved at about the pace of a 4-6 on a scale of 10.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
nate269, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 2 January 2011
Dear TravT:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Motel 6 #4437 Kalamazoo. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Motel 6, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Your comments about our housekeeping staff are most troubling, and we will address them with our staff in order to prevent further occurrence.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Stayed in this motel as a stop off on the last leg between Toronto and Chicago of a 3400-mile round road trip (so I have a good experience of staying in motels!)
Quite simply this was the worst place - the room was apparently non-smoking though smelt of bad stale smoke, the extractor fan in the bathroom sounded like an industrial unit that was so noisy, likewise the air conditioning unit and generally not very clean.
Complained at the front desk the next morning (was actually asked how was the stay!) and though sympathetic just offered me 15% discount on my next stay which I kindly declined! I was told that the motel would be renovated...hopefully other future reviewers may comment¹

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
nate269, Sales Department at Motel 6 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 24 November 2010
Thank you for your review of Motel 6 Kalamazoo. Since your stay, we have made significant progress with our renovations which are nearing completion. Our maintenance person has also been working on making sure all of the AC units are in proper working order. We would like to invite you to return on your next visit to Kalamazoo so you can personally experience our fully renovated rooms.
Tennessee
Reviewed 7 December 2008

This hotel is a disgrace to the motel 6 name. I've stayed in many Motels 6's over the years but have never ever been in a more raunchy vial room. The room smelled very heavy of someone just smoked a joint. For a non smoking room i had 2 ash trays in the room and multiple cig burn marks every where even the tolilet seat with a cig floating in the toilet bowl. The floor and bedding were burned, soiled and actually sticky in places. A light fixture was broke and hanging from the bathroom wall. No remeote for tv which looked about 11 years old. A real Kalamazoo MI cockroach greated me on the TV when i walked in and again as i walked out. There was heavy evidence of the room being used asa temp. meth lab as the chrome and all metal surfaces were coroded and rusted and acid fumes do this during cooking. (I am a former drug enforcement officer so i know these things).Once a room has been cooked in dangerous fumes emite from all surfaces and can make a person very ill and children very very sick. I noticed a room that in the 30 mins i was there have over 16 cars coming and going with real seedy men and women 'visiting' the room. I asked for refund, got a bunch of excuses about what i told them about. Called the local sherrif dept. Learned this is also a hooker hang out for over a decade and not to stay here. I thanked the sheriff and went to another hotlel. Ps the air conditioner made more noise than a 1972 chevy. DO NOT STAY HERE expecially with chidren for your own healt and saftey. Be fore warned. Peace be with you..

• Liked — leaving and seeing it in the rear view mirror
  • Disliked — arriving and soiling my shoes in the room
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank packrat2276
Thank you for your review of Motel 6 Kalamazoo. Your experience sounds horrible. Our hotel is now under new management and ownership. We work closely with various law enforcement agencies to prevent the manufacturing and trafficking of narcotics and prostitution on our premises. Additionally, our hotel is now 100% non-smoking and all rooms are newly renovated. The next time you are in Kalamazoo, we invite you to return and experience for yourself our transformed property.
Michigan
Reviewed 6 June 2008

I have been staying at this Motel 6 over a dog show weekend in May for years. It's getting worse every year. The receptionist on duty when I checked in was sullen and unpleasant. I was given a room with an air conditioner that barely worked, and was missing its cover, and looked dirty and nasty. The light over one bed didn't work because the switch had been broken off. The other bed was made up with a bottom sheet which had a large square torn out of it, leaving a big open square hole, exposing the matthress pad and mattress - this right under one pillow. As if all of this was not enough, I discovered the carpet was wet in a large area around the bathroom, including the space between the bed and the wall. Needless to say I insisted on a room change. When leaving this room I checked underneath the beds and found trash from previous guests that had never been cleaned.
The next room was a lot better, the only issue being no ice bucket or plastic glasses and a little bit of trash under the beds.
The grounds are not well kept, and the Dumpster by the rooms was overflowing when I checked in on Thursday. By Sunday it was ridiculous.
I would not recommend staying at this motel. I understand the Econo Lodge next door is quite a bit nicer and similar in price.
I normally am quite satisfied with Motel 6s, and have only found two that are truly unacceptable. This is one of them.

• Liked — proximity to fairgrounds where dog show was held
  • Disliked — gerenally seedy and getting worse every year
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank survivorMichigan
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Motel 6 Kalamazoo. Since the time of your stay, our motel has come under completely new ownership and management, and has also been completely renovated. The interior of our rooms are brand new, and our new housekeeping team takes pride in the cleanliness of each and every guest room. Additionally, our maintenance department regularly cleans and services all of the AC units. We would like to invite you to return this summer for the dog show and experience for yourself the newly renovated Motel 6 Kalamazoo.
detroit
Reviewed 17 October 2007

we've stayed in motel 6 rooms in the past and know what to expect with the rooms and amenities. however , this was a different experiance. Apparantly , this location off I-94 is a haunt for hookers and crack heads. Needless to say we would have left when the excitement started at about midnight but my wife was afraid to go in the parking lot. By the end of the night i can say i was only suprised we did not hear gunfire. Through it all the switchboard did not answer calls. DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR AND AVOID THIS MOTEL 6

Stayed October 2007
4 Thank hockeyguyDetroit
Austin
Reviewed 19 July 2007

Wanted a "non-smoking" room, didn't happen and was one of the first 10 to check in Friday July 13, there was only about 30 cars that night out of 300 rooms and it was pretty much the only hotel left in Kzoo.deu to a civil war event going on.
No remote for tv, A/C shut off several times, pot-hole parking lot.
Lumpy beds! Oh God, thank you for getting me home to my own bed, you get what you pay for, I knew I should have paid a higher price for a clean hotel.but would have had to change hotels everyday no fresh towels after 3 days, run down stained carpet. ugh! will gladly pay twice what I paid at motel 6 for a cleaner hotel. NEVER, will stay at Motel 6 again.Had to flush toilet 3 times.

• Liked — Checking out!!
  • Disliked — where should I start? Pool closed for
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple