“Paper Thin Walls, Heard Every Word From Next Door”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
San Diego, CA
“Paper Thin Walls, Heard Every Word From Next Door”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Many of the reviews here seem dubious. This place is neither as wretched or fantastic as some are claiming. It's your basic mid-range motel-type property set amid an unattractive snarl of concrete and traffic. My major gripe is that the walls are so thin, we could hear every word of our next door neighbor's lengthy, late-night phone call. The man was making plans to place his mother in an assisted care facility. You could tell it was an emotional ordeal for him. I didn't mean to listen, but there was no escaping it--even with our TV on. His headboard was opposite the "wall" from ours, and he was just laying there in bed, giving us a blow-by-blow on one of life's more difficult decisions. It was like we were all in bed together. Apart from privacy concerns, this strikes me as a potential security issue. If a guest thinks they are alone and gives out certain numbers over the phone--credit card, social security, date of birth, address--they could get their identity stolen by their next door neighbor. I kind of feel bad for this Country Inn because they are clearly trying to improve what appears to have been a troubled property. Our room was pretty clean and looked fairly attractive compared to the public areas of the building. I did notice the oft-mentioned new carpeting and bedding. But no matter how many enhancements--new staff uniforms, biscuits and gravy, those yet-to-be-installed flat screen TVs--they will never be able to overcome the basic structural flaw of those paper thin walls. When I check into a hotel, I'm looking for a good night's sleep; it's hard to appreciate new staff uniforms when you're bleary eyed. A few other things: A sign in the lobby indicates that this CI&S is a licensed franchise, so it was probably converted rather than developed by the parent company, Carlson. Not that I'm planning on a return visit, but I would never pay the rack rate here. We secured our reservation through Priceline for about a 50% discount. And that comment about the chlorine smell? Definitely. Like walking into the YMCA.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mikxe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I've traveled through Kalamazoo many times for both business and leisure. I've always thought staying righ tby the airport would be a bad idea because of the noise or whatever the case may be. I was WRONG! The hotel didn't seem like anything fancy or out of the ordinary from the outside, but the inside impressed me. I stayed at this hotel this past weekend with my toddler daughter as we were visiting family/friends in the area. Usually, we're able to stay with one of them but it just didn't work out.

When I checked in, the front desk receptionist, Jennifer, was very polite and bubbly and welcoming. She explained the room we were in, the amenities available to us, and was cheery even after what I'm sure was a long shift, late night. Our room was very clean and very modern looking. We stayed in a King Suite and the small fridge, separated spaces and dresser space were much better than I expected.

I don't normally sleep well outside of my own home, but I was impressed that I barely even noticed the airport traffic, and my daughter had no problems sleeping on the pull out. She especially enjoyed playing in the pool and I was able to workout. I have to have my daily workout and this hotel provided that!

One of the mornings we came down for a continental breakfast and I noticed the GM, Franklin, making sure things were filled up and doing a once over on the sitting area and he presented such a professional appearance and friendly demeanor. It made me feel good that I was staying there, like he really cares about that place and his job.

My only mediocre rating was the value because I can be cheap. I'm used to "bunking" with friends/family, and to shell out money for a hotel can be tough. However, for a King Suite, and my satisfaction with the whole experience, it was worth it!

AND - I'll be sure not to pass over a place just because it's by the airport or highway, since I have been (gladly) proven wrong by this place!

I recommend to travelers both business and leisure because it is close to the airport, there are several restaurants in the immediate area, and close to the freeway as well.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Upon check in found the bathroom to be filthy from long term accumulation (not just a spotty over sight) - greasy dust on light switch, dryer cord, top of shower stall

Also only had luke warm water

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
fhdavidson, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
We appreciate the reviewer sharing his thoughts and experiences and I apologize for our shortcomings. However, this is not representative of a typical stay with us. We are completing revovations and enhancements to all of our guestrooms with new carpeting and window treatments, new beds and bedding (all sheets and towels replaced with new), new lighting and artwork and (soon) flat screen televisions. Next on our list will be upgrades in guestroom bathrooms. Over the last six months we have experienced the highest Guest Satisfaction scores in two years and we continue to strive to meet and exceed our guests expectations. I regret this particular issue was not brought to our attention at the time of the guest stay, but am nonetheless pleased the reviewer decided to stay a second night with us in the same room.
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 3 October 2010

During a weekend in Kalamazoo in which all hotels were soldout, I stumbled upon
a one night stay at this location. The room was minimalist with an outdated TV and few channels. I checked the bed and was pleased for no bedbugs, but was grossed out
to find hairs all over the mattress cover.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
fhdavidson, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 5 October 2010
As the new manager of the Country Inn and Suites, I feel compelled to respond to certain reviews posted on TripAdvisor. We strive daily to meet and exceed our guests expectations, whether it concerns product or service.
We are currently undergoing enhancements of both guest common areas and guest rooms, with each guestroom having new carpeting, new window treatment, new beds and bed coverings. New guest room furniture is on order, to be followed by flat screen televisions. Both our Front Desk and Housekeeping staff have undergone additional training and all have new uniforms.
Our new “Be Our Guest” breakfast will be rolled out in October with a greater variety of options and a rotating menu, including eggs, meats, breakfast potatoes and waffles, as well as our new HighRidge Country Reserve coffee.
In response to media coverage of bedbug outbreaks in New York and the Midwest, we have strengthened our room inspection procedures to take a pro-active position against such a possibility here and have recently been certified by local pest control agency as “bedbug free.”
Recent Guest Satisfaction Scores are among the highest we have seen in over a year. We value guest feedback and appreciate the opportunity to address their concerns.
Most Sincerely,
Franklin Davidson Hotel Manager
Country Inn and Suites by Carlson Kalamazoo, Michigan
Rudyard, Michigan
Reviewed 24 July 2010

I stayed for a family reunion that was being held in Portage. Franklin, the manager, worked with our group to give us a discounted rate that still included everything. The complimentary breakfast in the morning is very good - I didn't expect there to be a hot section but I really enjoyed the biscuits and gravy! The pool area was a bit hot but the kids in our group loved it. The adults enjoyed the hot tub. ;-) We were even able to put together an impromptu game of soccer outside because the hotel has a large area of land that it owns without anything on it. It was very refreshing to be "in the country" even though we were near all of the conveniences of the city! The staff was really great. The rooms were very clean and I was informed that they were in the process of remodeling - brand new bedding, carpets, and window treatments are already in the room. We had a king suite and it was HUGE. All in all this is one of the best experiences I've had in a hotel in a long time, and with a large extended family I travel a lot.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 15 June 2010

After being denied Check-In at the Marriott Residence Inn as they unexpectedly had no rooms for our paid & reserved reservation, we were sent to the Country Inn. When you walk into the Lobby, the smell of chlorine hits you in the face (probably from their poo)l, but the smell has permeated the entire facility. When you walk into the extremely hot room, you have to guess how to get cold air from the bedroom to the sitting area - there is a switch that starts a fun near the ceiling that pushes some cold air between the wall. There is make-shift construction to keep the ceiling from caving onto the dividing wall between the bedroom and sitting room. The bathroom has some construction issues, and the whole room smells like mildew and who knows what else. Yuch!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
fhdavidson, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 13 September 2010
September 13, 2010

Most sincerely,

Franklin Davidson
Hotel Manager

Country Inn and Suites by Carlson
Kalamazoo, Michigan

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Every other Country Inn and Suites I have stayed at has been nice, clean, relatively new and quiet. This one was exactly the opposite. I'm wondering if this was formerly a different hotel (like a Motel 6?) that converted to a Country Inn and Suites because it definitely was a different (lower) caliber. The room furnishings were old and in poor condition. (read: this was the kind of room where I definitely didn't want my almost-two-year-old walking around barefoot). And there seemed to be at least 2-3 different high school tournament groups that took over the entire hotel - a cheerleading competition and a soccer competition for sure. They sat in the lobby and were awfully loud for hours.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family