“Comfortable Room - Friendly and Helpful Staff”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Traverse City, MI
“Comfortable Room - Friendly and Helpful Staff”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My Mother and I stayed at the Country Inn for two nights while attending a funneral. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The staff, more than once sought us out to make sure everything was okay and to ask if there was anything else they could do for us. The deluxe breakfast was amazing, well stocked, Only disappointing features were the pool (which was COLD!) and the jacuzzi (which was out of order the entire time we were there).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank InTheHeart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Orion, Michigan
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The hotel is currently being remodeled. I have stayed at other hotels during remodeling but never noticed the contractors. The carpenters were cutting lumber just outside of my window. I heard the circular saws until 10:30 at night. Obviously the owners had no regard for their guests to schedule this kind of work. The hotel was only 20-30 percent full, there had to be a room further away from the construction area than where they put me.
Also, over a three day period, we ran out of hot water every time we truied to shower. I used my Club Carlson points to stay here and usually don't have issues like this at a Country Inn and Suites, but I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OrionTraveler
Tinley Park, Illinois
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We hid our children's electronics UNDER CLOTHING IN A DRAWER and returned to find them stolen. The manager promised replacement and the owner said too bad. Not to mention the bathrooms were disgusting and never cleaned. Do not stay here unless you enjoy being robbed.

Room Tip: Noisy room, filthy bathrooms
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Tammy G
IL
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed here for one night in January 2012. It was a bit difficult to find (it was dark and very foggy), but once I figured out where it was, it wasn't a problem. I had wonderful service (both check in by friendly staff and check out by the manager).

Room was spacious (one king bed). Toilet and tub were separate from sink area. They have the usual toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soap and moisturizer). Everything was clean and in good condition. The bed and pillows were comfortable. I didn't notice any noise from other rooms or from the interstate (very close by). Had a great night sleep here.

Breakfast had the usual cold items (donuts, bagels, muffins and cereal) and some hot items.

I would stay here again. It's a good clean hotel, right off the interstate with a decent breakfast for a fairly good price.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Goshen, Indiana
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Booked this reservation through priceline. Thought I was bidding on a 3-star but instead I had hit 2 1/2-star. Paid $60/night which isn't bad but I think I could have gotten this for $45. I would have felt better about that price. The best thing about this hotel was the service and staff. The owner/manager was working at the front desk and was very friendly. The other staff I talked with was also friendly. They did every thing they could to make our stay a good one. Their buisness center was down so they let me use a computer behind the front desk to print some things.
They are in the process of remodling some rooms here. We were in a newly remodled room but there were still some spots on the wall that needed sanding and painting. Our room was clean but my wife said it just sort of "felt" dirty.
The breakfast was good not great. In addition to the waffle maker they had some type of hot eggs, sausage, buiscuits, and gravy. Didn't use the pool. This hotel is on the northwest corner of the battlecreek airport but surprisingly the airplane noise was not very noticable.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I just got back from a two night stay at this hotel. I stayed here as I got a good deal through the name your own price option on Priceline but will gladly return and pay the usual rate. As others have commented it is ridiculous to find. I had to get off the freeway, make a u-turn and then swerve to make the turn onto the service drive. In actuality you can access the hotel's road from Portage Rd., it's probably not any much further but the GPS does not tell you this.

Once I got there both the manager and desk clerk were very polite and helpful with any questions I had on the area. I had a room with two beds that was roomy and the fridge and microwave were very great! The bathroom appeared small but there was enough counter space for all my makeup and other girly face/hair things. The bathroom fixture are a bit dated but that doesn't bother me at all. They worked and I had enough hot water for a bath at night and a shower in the morning, which is all that's important. Of course everything was very clean.

I got up too late for breakfast both mornings but a staff member was still cleaning up when I wandered in for some juice and they allowed me to grab a glass of juice, which is more than others would do, especially since she had to turn the machine back on for me the first morning.

The bed and pillows were some of the best I've seen in a hotel in this price/star range. I love that this hotel still has the older heating/air unit under the window because I was able to run the fan option to help block out some noise. The curtains blocked most light and I never noticed any light coming from around the door either. For any people concerned about the airport being so close, don't be. I never heard a plane after 10pm.

My only complaints is the fact I was on the first floor and had some noise issues I generally avoid by staying on upper floors. I travel with a service dog and being helpful put me right next to a side entrance. While this was appreciated and so nice of them to think of it, the double doors were kind of loud and woke me up in the morning a few times. When other guests were outside my window it was like they were in my room! Thankfully no one really stood there for any length of time. Again this is not a deal breaker and it was not enough to turn me off from returning and I was still able to get decent sleep.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Kalamazoo
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We hosted a dinner reception for 40 guests at the Country Inn & Suites' banquet room and reserved 10 rooms for the convenience of our out-of-town guests. The newly remodeled lobby and rooms are lovely.

The desk staff was very kind and worked hard to make our guests' stay confortable. Any problem I was aware of (such as rooms situated rather distant from each other to placement of tables in the banquet room) was quickly handled to our satisfaction. No guests reported any unresolved problems to me ... and my mother would've told me about any problems, believe me!

Oh, one thing: getting there is a problem. The motel's address is on Kilgore Road, but you actually have to be on on Kilgore Service Road to get to the motel. GPS units seem to leave our guests on the north side of I-94 and unable to see the sign for the motel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family