“Just Gross!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I had to stay at this hotel for work in the Kalamazoo area in August 2012. I got to my room around 6pm and the first thing I noticed beside the fact that the entire place smelled old and musty, was white crusty stains on the comforter!! I found one of the maids (rooms were still being cleaned) and showed it to her. She took the duvet cover off, but said she would ask if she could get a replacement. I walked down the hall a few minutes later and could see that as they cleaned the rooms, they did not remove the duvet covers to be washed between guests. I went out to get bleach wipes and when I returned I had a duvet cover that was not visibly dirty.
It was down hill from there:
I wiped down all counters, sinks, tables, etc. and got visible dirt from all surfaces. 2 spiders in the bathroom on the first day. Next am.: waffle maker broken, fruit was extremely old, yogurt served in a big tub with a spoon shoved in it, milk served in a jug sitting out on the counter with no ice, almost no choices for pastries--one was hostess type chocolate covered donuts which were stale!!
The final straw was the second night when a silverfish bug crawled across my foot while I was working at the desk...checked out as soon as I could get another room (the town was booked due to several events).
I spend 30-40 nights per year in hotels...this was by far the first time I was this grossed out!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank encantagatos
fhdavidson, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

As the manager of the Country Inn and Suites, I feel compelled to respond to certain reviews posted on TripAdvisor. We strive daily to meet and exceed our guests expectations, whether it concerns product or service.

I sincerely apologize for your experience. We are, this week, with a new Housekeeping Consultant, re-training all housekeeping staff to ensure we meet and exceed expectations.

We have recently completed enhancements of both guest common areas and guest rooms, with each guestroom having new carpeting, new window treatment, new beds and bed coverings, new guest room furniture and flat screen televisions. Both our Front Desk and Housekeeping staff have undergone additional training and all have new uniforms.

Our “Be Our Guest” breakfast marks a year in existence with a greater variety of options and a rotating menu, including eggs, meats, breakfast potatoes and waffles, as well as our new HighRidge Country Reserve coffee.

Recent Guest Satisfaction Scores are among the highest we have seen in over a year.
We value guest feedback and appreciate the opportunity to address their concerns.

Most sincerely,

Franklin Davidson
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed here twice in the last two weeks while getting our son moved into WMU. The rooms were clean and comfortable and breakfast was fairly decent. The front desk people are exceptional. Every one of them was so friendly and accommodating to any request we had. We did an advance purchase so got a great deal. This is a great place to stay for the value we paid.
Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jleamm
Reviewed 14 August 2012

A decent hotel, but for the money we certainly expected more. it is showing its age, expecially in the bathroom. And it wasnt as clean as could be expected. Breakfast area was standard but not bad and the hotel is convenient to the highways. Good sized rooms though but that didnt make up for its cleanliness. Bigger rooms means there is more to clean. I think we would look elsewhere before coming back. But we wont cross it off our list.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank amigo j
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that this hotel uses real plates, bowls, and mugs for their breakfast. I wish EVERY hotel would do this. Also, for the price, this was a fine hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Nasty hotel, dirty, ants and some other mysterious bugs crawling on the walls and some were in the bed. DON'T STAY HERE IT'S A VERY UNCLEAN HOTEL.....

Room Tip: I would not refer this place to my worst enemy!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. The last thing we want is for our guests to see bugs and to feel our property is dirty. We would like to discuss this further. Please feel free to contact us at CCare@carlsonrezidor.com. We look forward to hearing from you. ~Dana

Reviewed 28 June 2012

A nice hotel in a good location front desk staff curteous and friendly,
good beds, and pillows room clean, but hot tub is only luke warm
when mentioned to managment I was given excuses, 2 days later
on our return stop it was still the same.

Room Tip: odd # rooms face airport runway even # are quiter
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I stayed here recently on business and overall, it was enjoyable. I was upgraded to a suite, which I very much appreciated, and the front desk staff were all very friendly. The bed was extremely comfortable -- great pillows! -- and the room was cleaned nicely every day. There were some little oversights -- a lightbulb out in the bathroom that I thought housekeeping would catch and never did -- and leftover signs of the place pre-renovation: a hole in the door, the HVAC unit apparently held together with duct tape, and a stain on the ceiling. Breakfast was uninspired, and the first morning I was there, was out of coffee, fruit, and eggs; only the fruit was refreshed in the 15 minutes I was there. As other posters have noted, there's sound carry-through from room to room. But the location is convenient and I would consider staying again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business