“Cleanliness issues”

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
West Bloomfield, Michigan
“Cleanliness issues”
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I really take no pleasure in writing this review. I have stayed at this hotel twice for business, and I declined to review after the first visit thinking that maybe my experience was outside of the norm. I continued to see good reviews for this hotel and consented to stay here again for a short business trip.
I concluded after both visits that the staff is quite wonderful, hospitable and enthusiastic. However, there needs to be some serious training in the housekeeping staff. I always bring Lysol, a pillow and blanket when I travel, and it was much needed here. In fact, I had to go out and get a second can of
Lysol. I don't think that my room had been cleaned in quite some time. There was a layer of dust on the dresser, ice bucket, coffee machine. The door to the bathroom had layers if dirt that were crusted into the paint. The curtains had thick visible crusty stains on them, and the chair and both duvets had white stains in them. Yuk. I really don't know why ANY hotels still have those nasty old duvets. Everyone knows that they are never cleaned.
The toilet had mold/dirt? in the bowl and the hairdryer had a crusty layer of dirt dust on the top surface.
I have posted all the photos here as well.
As much as I find the staff friendly, I cannot justify the price for the room knowing the quality that I am receiving. This room should be 40-50 bucks a night, not nearly 100.
I really hope that they overhaul the housekeeping here. It is desperately needed.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Harry P, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Sure, the staff is nice, but my neighbors were both very chatty on their phones and I could clearly hear nearly every word spoken, right from the comfort of my bed. Consider yourself warned, and be considerate of your volume!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Corey K
paris
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have stayed at this Country Inn and Suites approximately five or six time. The staff is very accommodating, the rooms are up-to-date, very clean and comfortable. The hotel was clean and quiet and the bed was very comfortable.I was surprised that it was more than just fruit and bagels. They had a few hot items, waffle makers, and a good selection of breads and pastries. They also put out cookies and fruit in the evenings, which I always think is a nice touch, especially for those traveling with children.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank susan s
South Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Here for a wedding. Hotel is average but staff goes above & beyond. The gentleman that works front desk at night (Furat) was very helpful & courteous. He is a valuable asset. Morning fellow was helpful as well. Being here with a wedding party we got to view most room types .They all were all tidy & comfy. My only complaint is they had ran out of sugar. Only aspartame was available.

• Stayed February 2014
Harry P, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We apoloize that we ran out of sugar but are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are delighted to hear that your treatment by our staff was excellent. We look forward to your next stay.

Hudson, Michigan
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Like a previous reviewer, I booked this room through Priceline not knowing which hotel I would get. After finding out and reading other reviews, I was a bit worried (since the hotel we got last year was terrible). I was delightfully surprised. The rooms and common areas were very clean (wore white socks around the room and they stayed clean). The staff was friendly and very helpful. The room had everything one could ask for: (2) beds, pull-out sofa bed, TV, coffee maker, frig, microwave, desk with chair and (2) armchairs, iron and ironing board. It was not fancy, but nice. The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast had hot waffles, eggs and sausage and cold cereal, fresh fruit, rolls and a nice choice of juices and coffee. I didn't see the pool, but my husband did and he said it was nice. Overall, we had an excellent experience and plan to stay here next year when we return for Kalamazoo Beer Week.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations. We are glad to read that you enjoyed the cleanliness of our rooms, the complimentary breakfast and your treatment by our staff. We look forward to your next stay.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I booked through an Expedia deal. The hotel was nice and clean. The front desk person was very professional and polite. The beds were comfortable and breakfast was good. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Average hotel. Nothing spectacular or outstanding. Ask for a room close to front if you don't want to make the loooong walk from the back of the hotel. Breakfast room small but the food offerings are adequate. Beds are comfortable.

We were with the kids' sports team and had to stay here. If it were up to me I'd stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Long walk to rooms in back