“Unsanitary”

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Fort Smith, Arkansas
“Unsanitary”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

During a weekend in Kalamazoo in which all hotels were soldout, I stumbled upon
a one night stay at this location. The room was minimalist with an outdated TV and few channels. I checked the bed and was pleased for no bedbugs, but was grossed out
to find hairs all over the mattress cover.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
fhdavidson, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 5 October 2010
As the new manager of the Country Inn and Suites, I feel compelled to respond to certain reviews posted on TripAdvisor. We strive daily to meet and exceed our guests expectations, whether it concerns product or service.
We are currently undergoing enhancements of both guest common areas and guest rooms, with each guestroom having new carpeting, new window treatment, new beds and bed coverings. New guest room furniture is on order, to be followed by flat screen televisions. Both our Front Desk and Housekeeping staff have undergone additional training and all have new uniforms.
Our new “Be Our Guest” breakfast will be rolled out in October with a greater variety of options and a rotating menu, including eggs, meats, breakfast potatoes and waffles, as well as our new HighRidge Country Reserve coffee.
In response to media coverage of bedbug outbreaks in New York and the Midwest, we have strengthened our room inspection procedures to take a pro-active position against such a possibility here and have recently been certified by local pest control agency as “bedbug free.”
Recent Guest Satisfaction Scores are among the highest we have seen in over a year. We value guest feedback and appreciate the opportunity to address their concerns.
Most Sincerely,
Franklin Davidson Hotel Manager
Country Inn and Suites by Carlson Kalamazoo, Michigan
I LOVE THIS COUNTRY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Rudyard, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

I stayed for a family reunion that was being held in Portage. Franklin, the manager, worked with our group to give us a discounted rate that still included everything. The complimentary breakfast in the morning is very good - I didn't expect there to be a hot section but I really enjoyed the biscuits and gravy! The pool area was a bit hot but the kids in our group loved it. The adults enjoyed the hot tub. ;-) We were even able to put together an impromptu game of soccer outside because the hotel has a large area of land that it owns without anything on it. It was very refreshing to be "in the country" even though we were near all of the conveniences of the city! The staff was really great. The rooms were very clean and I was informed that they were in the process of remodeling - brand new bedding, carpets, and window treatments are already in the room. We had a king suite and it was HUGE. All in all this is one of the best experiences I've had in a hotel in a long time, and with a large extended family I travel a lot.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2010

After being denied Check-In at the Marriott Residence Inn as they unexpectedly had no rooms for our paid & reserved reservation, we were sent to the Country Inn. When you walk into the Lobby, the smell of chlorine hits you in the face (probably from their poo)l, but the smell has permeated the entire facility. When you walk into the extremely hot room, you have to guess how to get cold air from the bedroom to the sitting area - there is a switch that starts a fun near the ceiling that pushes some cold air between the wall. There is make-shift construction to keep the ceiling from caving onto the dividing wall between the bedroom and sitting room. The bathroom has some construction issues, and the whole room smells like mildew and who knows what else. Yuch!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
fhdavidson, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 13 September 2010

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY

Travellers are raving about these Kalamazoo hotels

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

Every other Country Inn and Suites I have stayed at has been nice, clean, relatively new and quiet. This one was exactly the opposite. I'm wondering if this was formerly a different hotel (like a Motel 6?) that converted to a Country Inn and Suites because it definitely was a different (lower) caliber. The room furnishings were old and in poor condition. (read: this was the kind of room where I definitely didn't want my almost-two-year-old walking around barefoot). And there seemed to be at least 2-3 different high school tournament groups that took over the entire hotel - a cheerleading competition and a soccer competition for sure. They sat in the lobby and were awfully loud for hours.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

South Bend, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

I'm not sure if some of these reviews are for real, but this one is. I'm a Goldpoints member and love staying at Country Inn & Suites when I travel for business. My mistake this time was I didn't read the reviews on Trip Advisor first. We arrived for check in at 3:00pm and noticed the only cars in the parking lot belonged to staff. Once inside I noticed the great need for a major renovation. To CIS credit, I did observe several large rolls of new carpet awaiting installation. The carpet in our suite was stained and appeared dirty. The hotel is very dated, not the best location sitting in the middle of a concrete jungle called the clover leaf at I-94. I assumed since we appeared to be the only guests present we would have received a good suite. Guess again. We were on the main floor with our only view looking directly at the trash and debris area.

When I attempted to use the "free high speed internet" I realized the signal was very weak and the high speed was 1 mbps. I was able to find another hotel online before the signal failed. Please think twice before even thinking about staying there. Maybe in a year or so the owner, Mr. Patel will have upgraded the facility .. but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Michigain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2009

This was a GREAT hotel! The room we were in had just been remodled and it was very nice. The bed was the BEST I have ever slept on in a hotel. The staff was awesome, always looking out for our needs. They went out of their way many times to make sure we were completly satsfied. I will recomend this hotel to any and all my family and friends.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Glen Ellyn, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2008

Yes, bed bugs!
My daughter and I were in bed for the night when she said she had some itchy, red bug bites on her shoulder. I also was itching in my bed under my arms. We tore off the covers, to discover several bed bugs, that we were able to put in an envelope. We quickly bagged up our clothing and went to the front desk. We were offered another room by the night manager, but judging by this experience plus the general uncleanliness of the hotel and eating area, we declined. We requested that they pay for our lodging at another hotel in the area. After checking with her manager, Mr. Patel, they said just send the bill there.
Well, the next day when our new hotel tried to get reimbursed, Mr. Patel lied and said he never said he would pay and told them we left for no particular reason.
I contacted a supervisor at the 800 number for Country Inn and they issued me a free gift certificate. Well, Mr. Patel never was held accountable for his actions.
By the way, our new hotel knew of him and the condition of his hotels. An e mail had circulated in the area hotels recently warning of bed bugs at some establishments.
All I can say is STAY AWAY!!. I have pictures and evidence to prove it.

• Liked — The location to the college
  • Disliked — The lack of cleanliness and managerial support
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family