“A great place to take the kids!”

Kalamazoo Valley Museum
Ranked #1 of 41 things to do in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have been taking my children to this museum for probably close to 20 years. I really like the hands on educational portions of the museum. It really makes kids learn, while having fun.

I also enjoyed learning about the history of Kalamazoo and the famous products that were made here and the people that created them.

1  Thank Jeanine_RR
"whole family"
"gibson guitar"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Located in the down-town walking district, this little museum offers a fun and interactive experience for the whole family. Their emphasis is on kids, but there is enough for the whole family to enjoy. And the price is right (free)!

We did not see any of the special shows or programs, but we heard that they were excellent. One must be there at the right times.

We particularly enjoyed the historical artifacts and the view into life back then. Also, the hands-on science experiences were quite good.

1  Thank pontevecchio56
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Great atmostphere, roomy, clean, modern and a ton of exhibits for all age groups. My younger children enjoy the new exploration area with puppets, dress up, books, games in a bright contained trio of rooms.

1  Thank kjohnson76
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We take our kids here a few times a year . Its free but they do take donations . The planetarium is great especially around Halloween time . My son always go straight to the mummy which is a very cool display . Would love it if they had a snack shack and the gift shop has been gone for years . Great place to bring young children.

1  Thank HotelAvenger1369
See more reviews
Reviewed 11 August 2013

A completely unexpected surprise. It is difficult to find things that are worthwhile that are absolutely free but this place was AWESOME. I went with a group of adults (all with cognitive disAbilities) and they LOVED it (as did I). There are plenty of hands on things to do which is so great to keep people of all ages involved in the museum experience. There is a planetarium that you can plan a private show (ahead of schedule) or go to regularly scheduled shows. The second floor was a favorite for sure, really wonderful and detailed exhibits.

There wasn't a lot of parking available in the immediate area, there were a few places pretty close (parking ramps) that you had to pay for.

Staff was friendly and helpful especially in interactions on the phone in order to plan our visit. We were originally going to bring a picnic lunch in. They brought a large cart out for us to store our food in even labeled with our group name. We didn't end up using it but what a nice option.

I will be returning without a doubt.

1  Thank Emma N