“Wonderful B&B with tons of charm!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Henderson Castle Inn

Henderson Castle Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wonderful B&B with tons of charm!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I had my wedding here & it was the perfect venue for the occasion! The staff was very attentive to my needs as well as my wedding parties needs! The food was excellent. And our rooms were neat & tidy.
I look foreward to celebrating future anniversaries here!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank MrsJZandt
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Thank you for kind words. You had a wonderful wedding. We look forward to celebrating your anniversaries with you.

Francois Moyet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Panama City, Panama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and was excited to return with husband and mother-in-law. Highly disappointed with the staff who were less than interested in helping us. They were more interested in talking among themselves than getting us situated. The bed creaked and groaned so much that neither I nor my husband dared move which meant for a sleepless night. That in addition to the staff talking, someone tripping down the stairs outside our room in the early morning made for cranky guests. The breakfast which I remember being so good was basic continental and service adequate. Won't stay here again. I'd rather go to a more modern hotel where at least I can get a decent night's sleep.

Oh, did I mention that the toilet didn't flush? Yes, that only took two turns to get someone to come and deal with it.

Room Tip: my mother-in-law slept in the first floor room and heard noise all night long into the morning. Thi...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank panamaone
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear guest ,

Thank you so much for your review. I will address your comment with my staff and look at your bed.
Please call me next time you visit us again so I can insure you a great experience. Our goal is to make every experience amazing .

Best regards,

Francois Moyet .

Travellers are raving about these Kalamazoo hotels

Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

My husband and I had our wedding at Henderson Castle in August 2013. The night turned out amazing. I cannot express how thankful I am to Francois, Jennifer and the staff at the castle. I have had many compliments on the location of our wedding and many people stated it was “the best wedding I’ve ever been to.”

The food was AMAZING, from the appetizers to the main course to dessert to breakfast the next morning. We opted for the bacon wrapped pork and chicken penne pasta dishes. I don’t think there was a single person who left food on their plates! They were also able to cater to both vegetarian and gluten free. As for dessert, we opted for a blueberry cheesecake which was to die for! We also had individual pastries for our guests. The French toast breakfast with rolls and fresh fruit in the morning were phenomenal also. Very filling and wonderful tasting.

The rooms at the castle were very clean and neat. It is definitely not a hotel. Each room has a specific theme and history. The walking tour in the castle allows to get the historical perspective of each room.

The view from the roof is breathtaking, as we took many of our wedding pictures up there. There is also a large stained glass in one of the stairways, which was beautiful in the pictures. I do wish the gardens were a little more in bloom, but I’m definitely not complaining here!

In terms of planning the wedding, I would expect that all venues have hiccups along the way. Francois and Jennifer worked with us every step of the way to get us what we wanted. The day of the wedding, we had an outdoor wedding and were able to get in a set up earlier than the usual check-in time, for which I was so grateful for. The dinner service could have used more staffing. I think if dinner was indoors, it would have been enough, but it took a while outdoors to get all of the plates served.

At the end of the night, I was a happy bride and would not have changed my venue for anything.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you so much for your amazing review I will share it with the entire staff.

Kalamazoo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed for my boyfriends birthday and have been a few times since. This is one of my favorite places to stay, in town or out. It is nice for me because it is close to home but also I feel like I am in a whole new place. I loved the tour and all of the historical aspects. Everyone is very knowledgeable about the building and surrounding area. I loved seeing the floor with the tree branches running through it, the ceilings that were hand painted, one of which was in the room I was staying, were beautiful. The rooms are unlike any other place I have ever stayed. Even though there were others in the castle it seemed quiet and private and so very relaxing. If I have a friend in town and they would like to see somewhere fun and unique I take them here to grab a glass of wine and sit outside and talk and walk around the ground.
Now onto the dinner. I am a bit of a food snob and I love going to new restaurants and trying new things. The cuisine here is amazing. The best food I have ever had at a restaurant by far. You will not be disappointed by anything at Henderson Castle.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I had my wedding here and it was beautiful! All of our pictures had amazing backdrops of the castle! I didn't worry about center pieces, decorations or staging a room because everything is already in place! Couldn't ask for a more beautiful place, to share my special day with my friends and family! From getting ready the day of the wedding in a beautiful suite, having your guest stay the night, an intimate breakfast in the morning to the level of service received! OUTSTANDING! It was the best wedding I've been to!!!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you , thank you , thank you so much I really appreciate your kinds words and will share them with our staff.

Grand Rapids, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

My wife and I went to the Henderson Castle last year; it may be the most beautiful place that we have ever stayed. The top of the Castle hot tub was spectacular. It would be hard not to be romantic in this castle.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much , again we appreciate all your comments as we need theme to improve ourself every day.

Lakeport, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

It was a beautiful summer day in June, 2013, as we drove up the winding driveway and up the steep hill to the Henderson Castle in Kalamazoo, MI; we were in awe of this great establishment built in 1895. The Henderson Castle has so many things to offer such as a very interesting historical background, many updates and amenities, a breathtaking view of the city from a roof top Jacuzzi, and five star dining.

We entered the castle and were immediately greeted by the staff, shown to our room which was Mr. Henderson’s personal suite. We were given a brief history of the room by a courteous and friendly staff member and she even gave us hot tea and biscuits, which were delicious. There are so many unique rooms to choose from at The Henderson Castle, and each room has its own uniqueness, theme, and history. The rooms are affordable, clean, and have all the amenities that you need in order to be comfortable during your stay and The Henderson Castle staff is friendly, courteous, and professional.

After dinner, we sat at a small cafe table on the porch, just the two of us, enjoying our cocktail prepared in the Henderson Castle’s own bar that’s tucked away in a little room. We reflected on a perfectly prepared 5 Course dinner by Chef Francois Moyet, Owner, and how our waiter played violin for us beautifully during dinner.

We couldn’t help but wonder what it must have been like to purchase this castle like Francois did, with a goal in mind for a Bed & Breakfast. Suddenly, it all became so clear to us. Francois was “allowing” his guests to be part of his dream. At that moment, we decided not to leave the castle for sight-seeing in the city and we immediately booked a tour of the castle for the next day after we ate a delicious breakfast prepared by Francois. As the day went on, Francois gave a group of people a tour of the castle and we got to see the beautiful garden where fresh vegetables are grown that are used on The Henderson Castle menu.

When you choose to stay at The Henderson Castle, you’re not getting a predictable experience… you’re getting a once on a life time experience. We hope to come back again soon, spend time together as a couple and learn even more about this national historical landmark, that’s right here in Michigan!

Thank you to Francois, and his dedicated staff, for making our 2 day getaway seem like we travelled the world, to explore a hidden gem that was just 4 hours from our front door.

Respectfully yours,
Angie Smiley and Bob Kerrigan
Burtchville, MI

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for this great review , we appreciate it .