“Worst B & B I've ever been at.”

Henderson Castle Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Bloomingdale, Illinois
“Worst B & B I've ever been at.”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This was by far the worst Bed & Breakfast I have ever stayed at. The bed in our room had the most uncomfortable old lumpy mattress I have ever seen. We arrived for breakfast the first morning and was offered 1/2 of a banana, a few slices of orange and 2 croissants and then offered cold cereal or oatmeal. If we wanted anything else it was an upcharge. We were served by one of the house keepers. During our first day there the entire dining room was taken up by a blood drive. We took the tour of the castle given by someone who had never given a tour before and knew very little about the history of the place. There were 2 glasses in our bathroom, both were dirty. They looked like there was dried jelly on them.

I could go on and on. Needless to say we will never go back.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Greg G
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear guest ,

Thank you so much for your review. I will address your comments with my staff. We are a growing business and many of our employees have multiple roles.
Please call me next time you visit us again so I can insure you a great experience. Our goal is to make every experience be a great one .

Best regards,

Francois Moyet .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Cadillac, MI
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Our stay at Henderson Castle was fantastic! It is absolutely beautiful and comfortable. The staff is wonderful and the view from the rooftop hot tub is fantastic! I highly recommend staying here. It is a very easy walk to downtown from here and is adjacent to K Colleges campus.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. See you next time.

Your host,
Mcpherson, Kansas
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Henderson Castle. We had perfect fall weather for the hot tub up on the roof, along with a great view of the city. The steam room was marvelous. Great room--we chose the Indian themed room. Wonderful breakfast. Gracious hosts. We would recommend this to anyone who wants a special weekend get-away.

Room Tip: Each of the rooms are themed, so choose one that fits you. We toured the rooms that were vacant on...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you again. May you have great weather next time, too.

Cheers,
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I had my wedding here & it was the perfect venue for the occasion! The staff was very attentive to my needs as well as my wedding parties needs! The food was excellent. And our rooms were neat & tidy.
I look foreward to celebrating future anniversaries here!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank MrsJZandt
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Thank you for kind words. You had a wonderful wedding. We look forward to celebrating your anniversaries with you.

Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and was excited to return with husband and mother-in-law. Highly disappointed with the staff who were less than interested in helping us. They were more interested in talking among themselves than getting us situated. The bed creaked and groaned so much that neither I nor my husband dared move which meant for a sleepless night. That in addition to the staff talking, someone tripping down the stairs outside our room in the early morning made for cranky guests. The breakfast which I remember being so good was basic continental and service adequate. Won't stay here again. I'd rather go to a more modern hotel where at least I can get a decent night's sleep.

Oh, did I mention that the toilet didn't flush? Yes, that only took two turns to get someone to come and deal with it.

Room Tip: my mother-in-law slept in the first floor room and heard noise all night long into the morning. Thi...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank panamaone
Dear guest ,

Thank you so much for your review. I will address your comment with my staff and look at your bed.
Please call me next time you visit us again so I can insure you a great experience. Our goal is to make every experience amazing .

Best regards,

Francois Moyet .

Travellers are raving about these Kalamazoo hotels

Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My husband and I had our wedding at Henderson Castle in August 2013. The night turned out amazing. I cannot express how thankful I am to Francois, Jennifer and the staff at the castle. I have had many compliments on the location of our wedding and many people stated it was “the best wedding I’ve ever been to.”

The food was AMAZING, from the appetizers to the main course to dessert to breakfast the next morning. We opted for the bacon wrapped pork and chicken penne pasta dishes. I don’t think there was a single person who left food on their plates! They were also able to cater to both vegetarian and gluten free. As for dessert, we opted for a blueberry cheesecake which was to die for! We also had individual pastries for our guests. The French toast breakfast with rolls and fresh fruit in the morning were phenomenal also. Very filling and wonderful tasting.

The rooms at the castle were very clean and neat. It is definitely not a hotel. Each room has a specific theme and history. The walking tour in the castle allows to get the historical perspective of each room.

The view from the roof is breathtaking, as we took many of our wedding pictures up there. There is also a large stained glass in one of the stairways, which was beautiful in the pictures. I do wish the gardens were a little more in bloom, but I’m definitely not complaining here!

In terms of planning the wedding, I would expect that all venues have hiccups along the way. Francois and Jennifer worked with us every step of the way to get us what we wanted. The day of the wedding, we had an outdoor wedding and were able to get in a set up earlier than the usual check-in time, for which I was so grateful for. The dinner service could have used more staffing. I think if dinner was indoors, it would have been enough, but it took a while outdoors to get all of the plates served.

At the end of the night, I was a happy bride and would not have changed my venue for anything.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you so much for your amazing review I will share it with the entire staff.

Francois
Kalamazoo
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed for my boyfriends birthday and have been a few times since. This is one of my favorite places to stay, in town or out. It is nice for me because it is close to home but also I feel like I am in a whole new place. I loved the tour and all of the historical aspects. Everyone is very knowledgeable about the building and surrounding area. I loved seeing the floor with the tree branches running through it, the ceilings that were hand painted, one of which was in the room I was staying, were beautiful. The rooms are unlike any other place I have ever stayed. Even though there were others in the castle it seemed quiet and private and so very relaxing. If I have a friend in town and they would like to see somewhere fun and unique I take them here to grab a glass of wine and sit outside and talk and walk around the ground.
Now onto the dinner. I am a bit of a food snob and I love going to new restaurants and trying new things. The cuisine here is amazing. The best food I have ever had at a restaurant by far. You will not be disappointed by anything at Henderson Castle.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple