“One of the best”

GreenLeadersGold level
Croswell, Michigan, United States
“One of the best”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

If not for a few mishaps the rating would be excellent.
The Food: Dinner; we had the 11 course; beef tenderloin for both of us, escargot and crayfish appetizers, lobster bisque soup. Most of the food was simply amazing, a few small complaints; the amuse bouche was a tomato and pepper quiche: this didn't say artistry of the evening as an amuse should. The desert: pumpkin pie with whipped creme and cinnamon covered almonds, this was pretty good but was cold and had obviously been frozen and left to thaw to room temp. Finally the petit four; again a pre-made freeze and thaw approach was taken with mini lemon pies. At the price of Dinner (over $250 for the two of us after drinks), I felt like there should not have been any frozen food in the mix. However...the beef tenderloin, vegetables, potatoes, crayfish, salad, bisque, trou normand and desert coffee were all spectacular and made the experience a great one despite the small mistakes.
Breakfast: the wife had an omelet made with fresh veggies and I had scrambled eggs and house traditional french toast. One of the best breakfasts I've ever had.
The Room: this room was amazing!!!! huge with massive bed and many beautiful pieces of furniture, the bed was so comfy I didn't want to leave it. There was one huge problem...the room had an antique 13 head shower, the shower had an out of order sign posted on it and seemed as if it had for some time. they had even put a tub into the room to sideways remedy the situation. I was not happy at the fact that my only bathing option was in a strange bath tub nor was I happy about the 13 head shower(major selling point of that room) not working. other small problems included the fact that there are almost no electrical outlets in the room, the temp was quite high and no A/C in the room.
The property: this place is beautiful at every turn. wherever you look or go the place screams old world beauty and true architecture. On the roof is a sitting area and a rooftop hot tub, having drinks on the roof in chilly air and hot water with an amazing view of the city at night was probably my favorite part of the stay.
The Staff: The staff here was extremely friendly, the hosts were hospitable in every way, the waitstaff were as perfect as I could expect from anywhere and the owner Francois was wonderful and friendly, a real honor to meet him, many chefs at his level wouldn't mingle with regular patrons but he actually speaks with many of his customers and at night he can usually be found working the front desk as he does his books and surfs the internet.
Additional: The Henderson Castle is considered one of the most haunted properties in Michigan, while we didn't see any ghosts, staying there on all hallows eve made for great conversation and entertainment, there also were a couple of strange occurrences but no definite proof of the supernatural. There was also an issue with an overcharge, it seemed that there was a mistake on the restaurant bill and I was originally charged about $40 too much, turned out that gratuity had been added to the bill by the waitress and then again by the hotel but when I noticed I brought the matter to the attention of the hostess and the matter was taken care of right away.

All and All even despite the mistakes I wanted to give this rating 5 stars because in my opinion it was a 5 star stay, but I know that it wouldn't be accurate so I did lower it to 4 but to call it anything less than a 4 star experience would be under-rating at it's worst. I loved it, my wife loved it, WE TRULY HAD AN AMAZING STAY.

Room Tip: If you want ghosts, pick the Italian, Dutch or donjon room, If you want an awesome decor choose the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear guest,

It was nice to meet you as well. Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to seeing you again.

Merci,
Francois Moyet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Virginia
Reviewed 31 October 2013

No heat. The continental breakfast consisted of lukewarm Lipton tea, a stale croissant and a small plate of barely edible fruit. It is definitely not worth the $100 per room that we paid. It seems like the owner is just charging what he get away with to pay the mortgage and is cutting corners on everything else to maximize his profit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank kalequine
Dear guest ,

Thank you so much for your review. I will address your comments with my staff. We are always want to know when there are areas where we can improve.
Please call me next time you visit us again so I can insure you a great experience. Our goal is to make every experience amazing .

Francois Moyet .

Travellers are raving about these Kalamazoo hotels

Bloomingdale, Illinois
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This was by far the worst Bed & Breakfast I have ever stayed at. The bed in our room had the most uncomfortable old lumpy mattress I have ever seen. We arrived for breakfast the first morning and was offered 1/2 of a banana, a few slices of orange and 2 croissants and then offered cold cereal or oatmeal. If we wanted anything else it was an upcharge. We were served by one of the house keepers. During our first day there the entire dining room was taken up by a blood drive. We took the tour of the castle given by someone who had never given a tour before and knew very little about the history of the place. There were 2 glasses in our bathroom, both were dirty. They looked like there was dried jelly on them.

I could go on and on. Needless to say we will never go back.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Greg G
Dear guest ,

Thank you so much for your review. I will address your comments with my staff. We are a growing business and many of our employees have multiple roles.
Please call me next time you visit us again so I can insure you a great experience. Our goal is to make every experience be a great one .

Cadillac, MI
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Our stay at Henderson Castle was fantastic! It is absolutely beautiful and comfortable. The staff is wonderful and the view from the rooftop hot tub is fantastic! I highly recommend staying here. It is a very easy walk to downtown from here and is adjacent to K Colleges campus.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. See you next time.

Your host,
Mcpherson, Kansas
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Henderson Castle. We had perfect fall weather for the hot tub up on the roof, along with a great view of the city. The steam room was marvelous. Great room--we chose the Indian themed room. Wonderful breakfast. Gracious hosts. We would recommend this to anyone who wants a special weekend get-away.

Room Tip: Each of the rooms are themed, so choose one that fits you. We toured the rooms that were vacant on...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you again. May you have great weather next time, too.

Cheers,
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I had my wedding here & it was the perfect venue for the occasion! The staff was very attentive to my needs as well as my wedding parties needs! The food was excellent. And our rooms were neat & tidy.
I look foreward to celebrating future anniversaries here!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank MrsJZandt
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Thank you for kind words. You had a wonderful wedding. We look forward to celebrating your anniversaries with you.

Love,
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and was excited to return with husband and mother-in-law. Highly disappointed with the staff who were less than interested in helping us. They were more interested in talking among themselves than getting us situated. The bed creaked and groaned so much that neither I nor my husband dared move which meant for a sleepless night. That in addition to the staff talking, someone tripping down the stairs outside our room in the early morning made for cranky guests. The breakfast which I remember being so good was basic continental and service adequate. Won't stay here again. I'd rather go to a more modern hotel where at least I can get a decent night's sleep.

Oh, did I mention that the toilet didn't flush? Yes, that only took two turns to get someone to come and deal with it.

Room Tip: my mother-in-law slept in the first floor room and heard noise all night long into the morning. Thi...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank panamaone
Dear guest ,

Thank you so much for your review. I will address your comment with my staff and look at your bed.