If not for a few mishaps the rating would be excellent.
The Food: Dinner; we had the 11 course; beef tenderloin for both of us, escargot and crayfish appetizers, lobster bisque soup. Most of the food was simply amazing, a few small complaints; the amuse bouche was a tomato and pepper quiche: this didn't say artistry of the evening as an amuse should. The desert: pumpkin pie with whipped creme and cinnamon covered almonds, this was pretty good but was cold and had obviously been frozen and left to thaw to room temp. Finally the petit four; again a pre-made freeze and thaw approach was taken with mini lemon pies. At the price of Dinner (over $250 for the two of us after drinks), I felt like there should not have been any frozen food in the mix. However...the beef tenderloin, vegetables, potatoes, crayfish, salad, bisque, trou normand and desert coffee were all spectacular and made the experience a great one despite the small mistakes.
Breakfast: the wife had an omelet made with fresh veggies and I had scrambled eggs and house traditional french toast. One of the best breakfasts I've ever had.
The Room: this room was amazing!!!! huge with massive bed and many beautiful pieces of furniture, the bed was so comfy I didn't want to leave it. There was one huge problem...the room had an antique 13 head shower, the shower had an out of order sign posted on it and seemed as if it had for some time. they had even put a tub into the room to sideways remedy the situation. I was not happy at the fact that my only bathing option was in a strange bath tub nor was I happy about the 13 head shower(major selling point of that room) not working. other small problems included the fact that there are almost no electrical outlets in the room, the temp was quite high and no A/C in the room.
The property: this place is beautiful at every turn. wherever you look or go the place screams old world beauty and true architecture. On the roof is a sitting area and a rooftop hot tub, having drinks on the roof in chilly air and hot water with an amazing view of the city at night was probably my favorite part of the stay.
The Staff: The staff here was extremely friendly, the hosts were hospitable in every way, the waitstaff were as perfect as I could expect from anywhere and the owner Francois was wonderful and friendly, a real honor to meet him, many chefs at his level wouldn't mingle with regular patrons but he actually speaks with many of his customers and at night he can usually be found working the front desk as he does his books and surfs the internet.
Additional: The Henderson Castle is considered one of the most haunted properties in Michigan, while we didn't see any ghosts, staying there on all hallows eve made for great conversation and entertainment, there also were a couple of strange occurrences but no definite proof of the supernatural. There was also an issue with an overcharge, it seemed that there was a mistake on the restaurant bill and I was originally charged about $40 too much, turned out that gratuity had been added to the bill by the waitress and then again by the hotel but when I noticed I brought the matter to the attention of the hostess and the matter was taken care of right away.
All and All even despite the mistakes I wanted to give this rating 5 stars because in my opinion it was a 5 star stay, but I know that it wouldn't be accurate so I did lower it to 4 but to call it anything less than a 4 star experience would be under-rating at it's worst. I loved it, my wife loved it, WE TRULY HAD AN AMAZING STAY.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to The Henderson Castle, the most popular bed and breakfast in Kalamazoo. Whether you're local or coming from Grand Rapids, Detroit, Lansing, South Bend or Chicago, you'll find us to be the best destination for your anniversary, birthday, wedding, graduation or romantic getaway. Situated in the historic West Main Hill neighborhood, you're minutes away from the theatres, shopping and vibrant night life of downtown Kalamazoo, but secluded enough to enjoy a quiet night free from the noise of the city. When you're with us, you'll have a royal experience. Wake up to an incredible breakfast prepared by our French chef Francois Moyet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Henderson Castle Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Henderson Castle Hotel Kalamazoo
- Henderson Castle Inn Bed And Breakfast