My summary of our stay at Henderson Castle B&B:
The food was very good. We had a 4 course meal of Tomato Bisque soup, bread, Flounder over rice and a Creme-Puff type of dessert. For breakfast we went with the continental breakfast option which included a fruit plate, coffee, orange juice and whole grain oatmeal. It was pretty much what you would expect for a continental breakfast in any other nice hotel.
The mansion is amazing. We were allowed to explore at your leisure as long as nobody was occupying a room, but the entire mansion was book on this night, so we couldn't see what the other rooms were like.
The staff was very friendly and courteous and service was excellent.
We stayed in the "Miracle Room" aka the "Donjon" room that is in the north tower of the mansion. The room is not what they advertise it to be in the photos on their web site. Their web site shows a larger square room with a Queen sized bed and we were in a round room (it was in the tower) with a Double bed. Also the room seemed unfinished, like they had just completed the remodeling and never bothered to finish up with the decor. The walls were bland, and the room only had an electric heater.
All this I could forgive, except that the bed in this room was way too short for me to sleep. I kept either bumping my head on the headboard, or hitting my feet on the foot board. WiFi in this room kept going in and out so I had to use my own mobile connection.
In conclusion, because the pictures on their web site are not necessarily representative of what you will actually get. for a room, I would recommend (if you can) take a tour of this amazing mansion before you book a room. That way you can get a feel for all the different rooms and make an accurate choice. The food was fine and the staff was friendly. It was a bit pricey, but we had a good time there. Too bad I didn't get a lick of sleep though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to The Henderson Castle, the most popular bed and breakfast in Kalamazoo. Whether you're local or coming from Grand Rapids, Detroit, Lansing, South Bend or Chicago, you'll find us to be the best destination for your anniversary, birthday, wedding, graduation or romantic getaway. Situated in the historic West Main Hill neighborhood, you're minutes away from the theatres, shopping and vibrant night life of downtown Kalamazoo, but secluded enough to enjoy a quiet night free from the noise of the city. When you're with us, you'll have a royal experience. Wake up to an incredible breakfast prepared by our French chef Francois Moyet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Henderson Castle Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Henderson Castle Inn Bed And Breakfast
- Henderson Castle Hotel Kalamazoo