I am a big fan of Francios and still am BUT we had such high hopes for this place. I took my husband here for our 1st Anniversary. First, we are on a middle class budget so I purchased a Groupon for the couples massage and an extra service for $189.00. We tipped $40.00 to the therapist but still had $122.00 charge on our card afterward that I later found out (the next day when it appeared on my card) to be a service fee/tax on the full price of the amenities. I didn't realize there was tax on a service in MI but was quickly schooled in this area. Next, we paid for two services (which I though would each be one hour) and only received a 45 minute massage and a 15 minute sugar scrub. This was to include use of the hot tub and sauna as well although when I checked in I was told not to bring my suitcase with me (it had my swimsuit in it) since there were robes to use... but the hot tub was OUTSIDE on the roof which meant we couldn't use it at the time and who wants to be in the sauna with workers there? I told the therapists that Francios said not to bring it and so they assured me that since we were staying the night at the castle we could use it anytime we'd like that night. Much to our surprise they were having a private party later on that no one told us about! So using anything after 6 (we planned for after dinner) was not going to happen and the party went until around 11 (I could hear them from our room till then). Dinner was another story since we were seated and waited 20 minutes for someone to acknowledge us-not an offering of water or a hello from the server- disappointing since I would have waited if I would have at least had a drink. They did give my husband a free glass of wine (or so they said at the time). When I called to work everything out the manager after a mysterious $122 appeared on my credit card told me she would speak with Francios and get back to me-no call, nothing. She also said didn't you have drinks at dinner? That may be part of the charge. I had bottled water and my husbands wine I guess did show up on the bill! Unfortunately, I am a little more sensitive than the next person since I worked in the hospitality industry for 20 years. I also run a groupon myself so I was shocked that they could add on such a high tip without your consent (It is on the original amount of $388.00 so mind you we paid over $600 for one night at the castle and that was with our dinner coupon (free 4 course) and a free continental breakfast...ummm what would it have cost without? I'm sorry but I could have went to a really nice resort for a weekend in the Caribbean- schooled again. Nothing like a million dollar education I guess. Unfortunately as much as we love the beauty of the castle and our friend Francios we will probably not be back nor share a good experience with anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to The Henderson Castle, the most popular bed and breakfast in Kalamazoo. Whether you're local or coming from Grand Rapids, Detroit, Lansing, South Bend or Chicago, you'll find us to be the best destination for your anniversary, birthday, wedding, graduation or romantic getaway. Situated in the historic West Main Hill neighborhood, you're minutes away from the theatres, shopping and vibrant night life of downtown Kalamazoo, but secluded enough to enjoy a quiet night free from the noise of the city. When you're with us, you'll have a royal experience. Wake up to an incredible breakfast prepared by our French chef Francois Moyet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Henderson Castle Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Henderson Castle Hotel Kalamazoo
- Henderson Castle Inn Bed And Breakfast