“Had High Hopes for the Castle-Extremely Disappointed With Their Customer Service :(”

Henderson Castle Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I am a big fan of Francios and still am BUT we had such high hopes for this place. I took my husband here for our 1st Anniversary. First, we are on a middle class budget so I purchased a Groupon for the couples massage and an extra service for $189.00. We tipped $40.00 to the therapist but still had $122.00 charge on our card afterward that I later found out (the next day when it appeared on my card) to be a service fee/tax on the full price of the amenities. I didn't realize there was tax on a service in MI but was quickly schooled in this area. Next, we paid for two services (which I though would each be one hour) and only received a 45 minute massage and a 15 minute sugar scrub. This was to include use of the hot tub and sauna as well although when I checked in I was told not to bring my suitcase with me (it had my swimsuit in it) since there were robes to use... but the hot tub was OUTSIDE on the roof which meant we couldn't use it at the time and who wants to be in the sauna with workers there? I told the therapists that Francios said not to bring it and so they assured me that since we were staying the night at the castle we could use it anytime we'd like that night. Much to our surprise they were having a private party later on that no one told us about! So using anything after 6 (we planned for after dinner) was not going to happen and the party went until around 11 (I could hear them from our room till then). Dinner was another story since we were seated and waited 20 minutes for someone to acknowledge us-not an offering of water or a hello from the server- disappointing since I would have waited if I would have at least had a drink. They did give my husband a free glass of wine (or so they said at the time). When I called to work everything out the manager after a mysterious $122 appeared on my credit card told me she would speak with Francios and get back to me-no call, nothing. She also said didn't you have drinks at dinner? That may be part of the charge. I had bottled water and my husbands wine I guess did show up on the bill! Unfortunately, I am a little more sensitive than the next person since I worked in the hospitality industry for 20 years. I also run a groupon myself so I was shocked that they could add on such a high tip without your consent (It is on the original amount of $388.00 so mind you we paid over $600 for one night at the castle and that was with our dinner coupon (free 4 course) and a free continental breakfast...ummm what would it have cost without? I'm sorry but I could have went to a really nice resort for a weekend in the Caribbean- schooled again. Nothing like a million dollar education I guess. Unfortunately as much as we love the beauty of the castle and our friend Francios we will probably not be back nor share a good experience with anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the French Room bed is really high so if you get up a lot this may not be the room for...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank HolisticNut
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Friend,

I 'm truly sorry about your experience but once again as a groupon user you should know since it is clearly stated on their web site and the coupon itself than taxes and gratuity will be added on the full value of the package. For the record all of our massage are 1 hour massage and the sugar rub is actually 20 minutes and follow with a 10 minutes steam shower and then a 30 minutes oil massage. As far your dinner bill is concerned as we discuss it over the phone you was charge correctly. As far the party upstairs ,I apologize for the inconvenience but the roof top is a public area and nowhere it is stated than you may some privacy or intimacy in my hot tub. Again thank you so much for your review and I'm glad than you consider me as a friend as I can't imagine otherwise what kind of review you will have posted...

There are newer reviews for Henderson Castle Inn

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay at the Henderson Castle. We booked a room and dinner and both were fabulous. We had an awesome time when we stayed at another B&B in Michigan, but this goes so much farther above and beyond that. The castle was so beautiful and authentic. It was so unique and romantic for us. We enjoyed the delicous meal and the overall service at the Inn was exceptional. We really felt welcomed and special. The staff went above and beyond and we can't wait to go back again in the spring or summer and enjoy the rooftop hot tub!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are quite larger than others. I would suggest calling to make reservation rather...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much we appreciate it very much .

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I took my wife to the castle for an early valentines dinner and couples massage and stayed the night in the castle. Our couples massage was very relaxing and enjoyable(not sure if I like having the camera in the room while we were getting dressed or undressed). We had the 7 course meal amazing taste and very filling. On room looked great at first inspection, however when we bulled the blankets down the under blanket was ripped up very badly in the Dutch room. Badly needs to be replaced. Even with thta, I will definately go back.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are very small, if you have the opportunity to go to the castle in advance to look...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your input. For the record the camera in the nail salon is not activated as you can imagine. We provided the massage temporarily in the nail salon just for the last couples of days as we was remodeling the real massage room where there is no camera what so ever. I apologize for that inconvenience.As far the blanket in the room We already take care of it . I do not know what happen here but thank you for letting us know.

See you soon , It was very nice to meet you and enjoy our conversation the other morningat breakfast.
Truly yours,

Reviewed 1 February 2014

My summary of our stay at Henderson Castle B&B:

The food was very good. We had a 4 course meal of Tomato Bisque soup, bread, Flounder over rice and a Creme-Puff type of dessert. For breakfast we went with the continental breakfast option which included a fruit plate, coffee, orange juice and whole grain oatmeal. It was pretty much what you would expect for a continental breakfast in any other nice hotel.

The mansion is amazing. We were allowed to explore at your leisure as long as nobody was occupying a room, but the entire mansion was book on this night, so we couldn't see what the other rooms were like.

The staff was very friendly and courteous and service was excellent.

We stayed in the "Miracle Room" aka the "Donjon" room that is in the north tower of the mansion. The room is not what they advertise it to be in the photos on their web site. Their web site shows a larger square room with a Queen sized bed and we were in a round room (it was in the tower) with a Double bed. Also the room seemed unfinished, like they had just completed the remodeling and never bothered to finish up with the decor. The walls were bland, and the room only had an electric heater.

All this I could forgive, except that the bed in this room was way too short for me to sleep. I kept either bumping my head on the headboard, or hitting my feet on the foot board. WiFi in this room kept going in and out so I had to use my own mobile connection.

In conclusion, because the pictures on their web site are not necessarily representative of what you will actually get. for a room, I would recommend (if you can) take a tour of this amazing mansion before you book a room. That way you can get a feel for all the different rooms and make an accurate choice. The food was fine and the staff was friendly. It was a bit pricey, but we had a good time there. Too bad I didn't get a lick of sleep though.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joe B

Hello Sir,

Thank you very much for your review. I appreciate your comments. I just realise the mistake on our part as far the wrong room description and picture of the room between the Tower and the miracle room.I will communicate that matter immediately to our web master to remedy the issue right away.

Best regards,

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I took my leadership team there for the 4 course lunch. Our waiter, Mike, was attentive and very good. The food was fresh and we immediately said that we would come back in the summer. The dining room was very comfortable and the table was set with crystal and china. The staff was very nice in giving us a tour of the facility. Some have said they will return for a personal outing. Great place for a good meal.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lisa H

Dear madame,

I want to thank you personally to take the time to wright your review on your experience at the castle.It means the world to me as we use them to improve our self all the time.

Truly yours,

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Can not say enough about the Castle. Every visit is incredible. The food is a reflection of pride by this owner. Every dish is magnificently prepared and beautifully plated. The staff is as warm and inviting as the Castle itself. Put this on a bucket list of places to visit!
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Look on line and select. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ldoorlag

It is always such a pleasure to read such positives comments , thank you so much for taking the time to do so . See you soon ,

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I had my wedding here at the castle on Dec 22nd 2013 and I can't say how much we loved it! Everything was gorgeously decorated for the Christmas atmosphere and we didn't have to do much at all to add to it. The staff was also wonderful to work with and always answered all of our questions promptly. They also helped us out so much on the wedding day with set up. We had our ceremony inside on the beautiful staircase, and the staff was able to accommodate all of our 90 guests. Many people said it was one of the most beautiful ceremonies they had ever seen!
We then had a cocktail hour and the bartender (who was great and very knowledgeable/experienced) made a specialty candy cane martini just for our event. Guests were also free to look around the castle and loved seeing all of the different rooms and architecture. Dinner was amazing also! We had chicken, pork, or stuffed peppers with creamy tomato soup, rolls, and salad. The cake was custom designed by their pastry chef and made to look like a stack of Christmas gifts, everyone was very impressed and thought it was very unique.
We had the reception upstairs in the ballroom and it was really fun. The DJ that the castle provided was great and took requests and did games with the guests all night long. We also had a photo booth upstairs which the guests loved (provided by studio 616). At the end of the night, my bridesmaids and I went up into the rooftop hot tub with our wine which was a perfect end to the night. Many of our wedding party and family members went down into the "man cave" to enjoy some after party drinks with the bartender which was a great way to wind down after the party.
We rented out the castle for 24 hours so my wedding party and family all stayed the night in the castle. It was a great night and we had a true French breakfast in the morning which was delicious.
I had such a great experience at the castle and it honestly exceeded my expectations. I planned this wedding from Virginia since my husband and I go to school there so I was a little worried about how things would turn out, but the staff was so great and knowledgeable that many guests said that it was the best wedding that they had ever been to. Overall, I couldn't be happier with my experience. My husband and I will definitely be back to the castle to celebrate anniversaries in the future!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sara D

Bonjour Madame,

That is a beautiful review on our performance at the Henderson Castle. Thank you so much. We work very hard to try to please every one all the time for any occasion , especially for any wedding.
This is why we certainly won the Best wedding venue in MI 2013 brides and editor choice from the knot magazine . I will make sure than all my staff read it as they will enjoy your comments I'm quite sure. Again thank you so much and we will see you on your anniversary oif not before .

Love,