My husband and I stayed at the castle in the Tower Room (Donjon room) in April on a Saturday evening. The building is amazing, and the views from the roof are wonderful. The castle is obviously in need of restoration, but they seem to be working on that. We did not dine there that evening, so we can't say anything about the dinner.
The Tower room is situated through a banquet room - I would hope they wouldn't rent it out if they had one that day. We noticed a lot of the lights were burned out in that room. Our room had a private porch with a view of Kalamazoo - a wonderful touch.
The bed was comfortable - but my husband did have to put his feet on the wooden foot board to be able to fit. The bedroom had cobwebs on the light fixture, two of the bulbs were burnt out in the room. There was a pile of sand at the corner of the bed - presumably from a previous occupant. And the worst part about the room - no shower. The hot tub is tucked under a very short ceiling (not unexpected in a sloped roof situation) - but the problem was, the water smelled awful when it started to fill up, and it was cold. We tried to let it run for 10 minutes, but the water stayed cold, and started to smell like rotten eggs. So, neither my husband or I were able to take a shower or a bath.
We are early risers, so we were up and on the way downstairs by 7:30 am, but the fire alarm went off because the kitchen burned something, so everyone else came out in their robes... not the best way to start the morning. The included breakfast is a plate of fruit, juice/coffee/tea, and a slice of banana bread. We didn't feel like paying any extra at that point so we left at that.
After we ate, we tried to check out, but apparently, the person who could check us out wasn't arriving until 9 am, so we were supposed to get an emailed confirmation of checkout, but, it never arrived.
The staff was friendly, but there is a lot of work to do.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to The Henderson Castle, the most popular bed and breakfast in Kalamazoo. Whether you're local or coming from Grand Rapids, Detroit, Lansing, South Bend or Chicago, you'll find us to be the best destination for your anniversary, birthday, wedding, graduation or romantic getaway. Situated in the historic West Main Hill neighborhood, you're minutes away from the theatres, shopping and vibrant night life of downtown Kalamazoo, but secluded enough to enjoy a quiet night free from the noise of the city. When you're with us, you'll have a royal experience. Wake up to an incredible breakfast prepared by our French chef Francois Moyet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Henderson Castle Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Henderson Castle Hotel Kalamazoo
- Henderson Castle Inn Bed And Breakfast