“Dinner Yes, spent the night….”

Henderson Castle Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent the night in the maple room, all the rooms in the house are being worked on so you will see plaster repair going on everywhere, our room was no exception, the paint on the walls did not match where repairs were done, light bulbs were missing from some of the lights, the TV turned on and off by its self in the middle of the night and the mattress was past its time, years ago, there is a sinkhole in the middle that pulled us into it all night and every time we rolled over the headboard creaked and hit the wall, I felt sorry for the people in the other room, we were rolling over to escape the sinkhole all night.
Also each room has window air conditioners, that is kind of cheesy for a $200 a night place.
All in all the Castle is beautiful and is a place to experience but in no way top notch. The highlight was dinner, we had the 11 course and enjoyed every one of them, the service was great and that alone will bring us back, But only for dinner, spending the night not so much worth it. I have gone over all the reviews and can see both the good and bad in them, I guess it is what you are looking for combined into what you expect.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fedman
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2014

Thank you for your review, as i just mentioned earlier , I will address these issue as tomorrow Thank you so much. As far the AC is concerned I totally agree with you but cheesy is better than 95 degree room temperature. I'am working on a better solution for next year . The castle have a central AC in some part of the castle. But as you can imagine it is a huge project and very expensive. And we try the best we can to manage remodeling , improvement , repairs and being open as you witness for your self.

truly yours,

Francois Molyet

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I used a easytobook.com to book with Henderson Castle, and was called to cancel with less than two weeks to find a new place to stay WITH a sold-out show in town. Poor service. If you want to go with this place, be sure to call and make sure that they haven't already booked the room that you are set up with.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
5  Thank Kendall S
Reviewed 10 July 2014

After over a year seeing the billboard on i94 in Michigan, my 76 year old mother asked me to take her there. I understood it was small but only 1 hour away it was worth the drive for mom, so we went today.

The tour took maybe 20 minutes because my mom drug her feet, but so not worth the 10$ per person fee.
However we could smell the food and the dining area looked exquisite. I'd go back for lunch.
Word of caution - there is a bathroom in basement for diners and doesn't look handicap accessible... "Normally diners use the bathroom in the main level, but that room in occupied...." The tour girl told my mom.... Really?!

I think this place will be better in 2 years when remodeling is done.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Berta W
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2014

Dear Madame,

Thank you for your comments.The 10 $ tours actually is little be over 35 minutes and is just the introductory tour . Please visit our web site for the tour menu. Being a national historical landmark we are not obligated to complied with the normal rules for handicap accessible bathroom. How ever we do have one available in the earth sky room and was unfortunately used at the time of your visit. We have a also plan to build a new elevator outside the castle within a new tower and a new bathroom so every one have access to the entire 5 floor. That should happen in the near future hopefully as it will cost a Little fortune as you can imagine.
Yes our restaurant is amazing I wish you did had lunch here .

Love,

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Beds were comfortable. Rooms were roomy. & had window a/c. We had Victorian room which had a strange Toilet/shower. They were close so if you used the shower everything got wet. No elevator Front desk help were friendly. The young lady carried my husband 's suitcase up to the room. We were welcomed to explore the other unoccupied rooms. Breakfast was included. It was Cereal or oatmeal. Both came with juice, fruit plate. & coffee/tea. You could order hot items : eggs or french toast for extra cost. Charlotte our server was very friendly. & attentive.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank JM895

Merci beuacoup madame for your lovely comments.Yes the shower is designed with an European flavor and I guarantee you than if you pull the shower curtain correctly all the water stay within.

love,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I chose this B&B because of the wonderful pictures of the building and grounds online. We reserved one of the coach rooms, because it offered a separate bedroom with a sleep sofa, our own hot tub outside the door, and seemed to be a little more spacious than the typical rooms in the castle itself.

We were taken on a tour of the castle by a knowledgeable and friendly young woman, which was fascinating. however, when we went to bed that night, we had a difficult time getting comfortable. the sleep sofa was threadbare and the springs were almost visible - no cushioning at all. the queen size bed in the bedroom was a platform bed, with one thin mattress. there were also no bedside tables on which to place anything and no clock anywhere. in addition, the occupants in the room adjacent to ours left the tv on all night and it was clearly audible thru the walls.

breakfast the next day was wonderful and attractively presented in the gorgeous dining room by the large windows. there was a lot of construction going on, some of which we discovered was because of the creation of a wine cave and tasting room. i am sure this will add nicely to the attractiveness of the castle, but wondered why more effort and $$ wasn't being put into making the rooms more comfortable.

it was a memorable experience at a truly unique b&b, but not all the memories were good.

Room Tip: upon check in inspect your room in person to be sure it fills your needs. some rooms are definitely...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review it is greatly appreciated.I hope to see you soon again.

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed here a couple of years ago while visiting for my daughters graduation in May '12. I'm in the military and have lived overseas since 2001 and I love the decor and the ambience that Francois is trying to set here. I stayed three nights and was pleased when I asked for, and was given, a typical european-style breakfast each morning. Given time, I'm sure that Henderson Castle can recapture some of it's former glory and that Francois will give it the Old World spin he's looking for.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments. . I perfectly remember you and your daughter you did stay in the Tibetan room. please give your daughter my best regards and hope to see both of you soon and well.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

My room had repair work in progress on walls and ceiling ( patch ) . Small tv up high on wall above a armoire . You enter the room into bathroom with your first view being the toilet ! Condom wrapper under edge of bed I left skirt of bed tucked up so when housekeeping came in to make up room they would pick it up along with bottle cap and lots of crumbs ... I guess that's why there is a mouse trap under there too , and soap dispenser was empty on sink too . Next morning soap filled bed made but condom wrapper and stuff still under bed .... Reported to front desk they then went to room and removed it ! Tile around rooftop hot tub broken up . Had gotten a gift certificate for here called for reservation had to give my credit card which was charged to my card till I mailed them back my gift card ( piece of paper ) they said do to people making duplicate copies of paper and using . Need to find a better way to gift card .

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank ElyrSolotraveler

Hello Mademoiselle,

Yes indeed the castle need a lot of work and always will need .This part of the game, how ever what you describe is very unusual and I apologize for the inconvenience.Last winter we suffer several damage due to ice and frozen pipe witch result into a huge remodeling project all spring and summer long. Thank you again for your comment I appreciate it.

Francois

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalamazoo
Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center
#16 of 31 in Kalamazoo
Bay Pointe Inn & Restaurant
Bay Pointe Inn & Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Shelbyville

Been to Henderson Castle Inn? Share your experiences!