“Refused to Honor my Signed Contract”

Comfort Inn Kalamazoo
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
washington, dc
“Refused to Honor my Signed Contract”
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I am holding my wedding in Kalamazoo in June. I currently live in DC and a lot of people are coming in from out of town. I had a room block at this hotel and signed a contract with which the general manager IGNORED!!!.

My first guest called and the front desk manager told her "the bride didn't get us the contract in time so we don't have any rooms for you." ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Not only was it their fault, but they bad mouthed me!

The front desk manager told me that the GM does not allow them to call him with issues after hours and is barely in the hotel. After a week of trying to come to some agreement with them I still wasn't allowed to speak with him.

So, 2 months before my wedding I had to find 30 hotel rooms around the city and rent vans for transportation because they were now farther from the reception site and I didn't want to make them rent cars on top of everything else.

Stay far far away from these rude, incompetent people!

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank maggie526

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 November 2009

We stayed one night while visiting friends in Kalamazoo. For a basic hotel, we could find no fault once we found it (it is very difficult to find unless you strictly follow the directions on the web site. The hotel is NOT located on the street indicated in its address, and all streets around are one way - the wrong way)!
The room was comfortable and clean and the staff were very friendly.
The free breakfast was above average for this kind of establishment.
There is a small but reasonably adequate fitness center and free internet access.
Very economical and more than adequate for our needs. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 25 April 2009

I chose this hotel because of the location and arrived with friends. It was the businest weekend of the year in Kalamazoo and the manager was "on vacation in Florida," leaving behind very young front desk clerks to hold down the fort. My friend and I went to the front desk and said that we both wanted to check in. The front desk clerk took all of my friend's information (we were paying on his credit card) and didn't say a word to me, even though I offered to put one of the nights on my own credit card. Nevertheless, I was standing next to my friend throughout the check-in process. The clerk handed us two keys and gave us our room number. In other words, it was clear that I was also a guest. That evening, I told the front desk clerk that I needed to register my vehicle because it was parked in the hotel parking lot. She took my plate number, make and model and told me I was "all set." The next morning, I discovered that my car had been towed. When I approached the hotel staff, they confirmed that, yes, I had appropriately registered my vehicle but that they could really help me because their boss was on vacation. When I insisted to speak to the "boss," they produced her on the phone. She was rude and terse and said that this was my responsibility b/c I hadn't placed a parking pass in the window. I stated that I had neither been given a parking pass nor told that I needed one. She refused to speak to me from then on out. When I went to retrieve my vehicle from the towing company, I found myself in line with a man and two couples. ALL of them were coming from Comfort Inn and ALL of them had had their vehicles towed even though they were registered. Like me, they were never given parking passes at the time they registered their vehicles and didn't know they needed them. However, all of them had letter from the hotel asking for their vehicles to be released from the tow company without charge. I had to take note, among these people, I was the only pregnant female without a male companion (makes me think the clerks were a little less intimidated by me and a little less willing to help out). I stated that the hotel clerks were unhelpful to me and had not offered me such a letter. The other replied that they couldn't get any help from the front desk until they threatened to call the police. I retrieved my vehicle, paid $125.00 to the tow company, and returned to the hotel where I calmly asked again to speak to the manager on the phone. Of course, they couldn't get ahold of her until I stated that I was going to file a police report. At that suggestion, the front desk clerk immediately produced the manager on the phone (who still refused to speak with me). The clerk then stated that, because I had not "officially registered for the specific room" (remember, I had tried to but the clerk wasn't interested in my information), that I was "trespassing." She said: "You can go ahead and file your police report, but then we are going to pursue trespassing charges against you." The people with whom I was traveling, including a police officer and an attorney, pointed out that if I was "trespassing," then they too were trespassing because they hadn't registered for a room either. Nobody had told them they needed to. I left the hotel as the clerk was saying loudly in the lobby that I was trespassing and that she was not the person who towed my car (but as my friends pointed out, she is the one who could have fixed it). The behavior of the management and some of the staff was something you would expect from a scummy, roadside, pay-by-the-hour motel. Maybe they were just carried over from when this place used to be the Downtowner. Not only do I not recommend this place, but I will not use ANY of the Choice Hotels again unless and until this is rectified. Do not use this hotel! You too may be victimized.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank winanne
Guelph, Ontario
Reviewed 22 August 2008

We stopped in Kalamazoo recently on a long distance drive. Got in to the hotel around 11:00 p.m. and were given a non-smoking room with two double beds for $65 (clerk was willing to negotiate set price of $89). Room was clean and had all necessary amenities. No issues at all with parking as mentioned by others. Free breakfast was fine - lots of fruit, yogurt, cereal, coffee/tea/juice, bagels and pasteries.

• Liked — Clean, good price, free breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Maui
Reviewed 19 March 2008

This is a new or refurbished building just outside of the downtown center. Parking is on the tight side, but not as bad as some other reviewers have commented. I was in and out without incident or inconvenience driving a large SUV.

Pricing was reasonable, and front desk staff intelligent and efficient. They made a modification to my internet-made reservation moments after I made it without any issues or problems.

Building is clean and well kept, grounds excellent, access excellent.

Workout room is a former hotel room, complete with washbasin and restroom. It is well appointed with high quality equipment....I wish I had such nice stuff at home! This room was WELL above average for a hotel fitness center.

Room quality was above average; plenty of towels, good bed and bedding, properly equipped. Television was high quality, plenty of cable channels, TV rotated to all necessary angles without hitting wall. Remote operated properly.

Internet speed above average for a hotel.

Breakfast was a little sparse; this area needs improvement. Waffles, apples, danish, toast, muffins, juice, cereal.

There is no public computer (I often need to print a document); this is unusual for such a nice property in a college town.

Elevator access and operation is excellent, stairways clean, carpeted, and well maintained.

Several restaurants and a sports bar within easy walking distance. DO NOT MISS "Pasta, Pasta" Italian Restaurant across the street...great food, reasonable prices, excellent service.

This is overall an above average Choice property.

• Liked — Fitness center
  • Disliked — Breakfast a little sparse, no public computer.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank antennaman
Ohio
Reviewed 28 July 2007

Our stay at this hotel was less than pleasant because there is not adequate parking in the hotel lot. There was construction going on in the street and curb area of the hotel, but it did not appear that there would be any more parking spaces when construction is finished. When we returned late at night, there were no spaces remaining in the lot. A sign in the lobby told us to park across the (four-lane) street, in an unlit lot belonging to a gift shop. This did not seem like a safe option for us, or for our car. Other guests were having the same problem, and the desk clerk seemed harried and not especially friendly. He finally, reluctantly, moved his own car from a space in front of the hotel to allow us to park there. Other aspects of the hotel were OK, with the exception of a rollaway bed which was unusable; it had a plastic mattress covered only with a thin sheet (no mattress pad). I would not return to this hotel, since adequate, well-lit parking should be a "given."

• Liked — Close to stadium music event.
  • Disliked — No parking, small public areas, indifferent service, unusable rollaway.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed 14 May 2007

As an alternative to the very pricey Radisson or the spartan
Western Michigan U. dorms, this is a good choice for those attending the annual International Congress on Medieval Studies. The rooms are ample, with a very comfortable bed, free internet access and even a fridge and microwave. The hotel seems new, so everything was in good condition. Bus 16 connects the hotel with the conference or else it is an easy 20 to 25 minute walk. There are a few nearby restaurants. My only cavil is breakfast, where offerings beyond the waffle station were uneven and sparse. For example, as a cereal only fruit loops were available one day; bananas (the only fruit available) disappeared quickly and were not replenished. Bagels evidently were kept in the back for those who made a special request.

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank arkcruiser