“Good food, great service”

Comensoli's Italian Bistro & Bar
Ranked #42 of 340 Restaurants in Kalamazoo
Price range: US$9 - US$21
Cuisines: American, European, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Akron, Ohio
“Good food, great service”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We went on a busy Saturday night, with a reservation. The bar area is a little small, so not much room to sit while you wait. The hostess seated us promptly and the waitress was very helpful and attentive. The salmon picatta and chicken cacciatore were very good, although the sauces were a little heavy for our tastes. Wines by the glass were good and reasonably priced. As mentioned in other reviews, it's a little hard to find the parking lot entrance, but the location is central and near Kalamazoo College and downtown. I'll be sure to go again on my next trip to Kalamazoo.

Visited February 2014

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Wonderful food and perfect atmosphere”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I found this place using the tripadvisor search. I was on a business trip in Kalamazoo and wanted to treat colleagues to a nice Italian meal. I had never been to Comensoli's before, so I took a chance based upon the reviews and Comensoli's web site. It was wonderful. It's small, about 12 - 15 tables for four, not counting the patio area, but it's very cold in February. They pulled a couple together for our group of six.

The wine selection is good, not extensive, but good variety. The food was fantastic. Prices were very reasonable. I expected slightly higher prices for the quality of the food.

We arrived just before 6:00 on a Monday night, and there was only one other couple present. That made me a little nervous, but by 6:15, nearly half the tables were full. By 6:30, tables were full and a couple sat at the small bar.

Not much divides the dining room from the kitchen, so the place filled with a wonderful aroma. It has personality, and the pictures on it's website do show what the decor is like.

Meals were between $12 - $16. Wine $5 - $8 per glass. I will definitely go back.

• Visited February 2013
Constantine, Michigan
“Pizza special”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We had a couple of the pizza and salad specials...enjoy them! Owner was there and checked on our. Satisfaction, really seemed to care.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Love the tomato sauce!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I ordered chicken parmesan and my husband had the manicotti. We were both very impressed with the sauce, which made both dishes very tasty. The do not make their own desserts, my husband tried the cannoli and it would be considered average. They were a bit short staffed and our waitress was obviously running herself ragged, but she was polite and cheerful anyway. A real trooper!

Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
“Terrible service, mediocre food”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We arrived around 6, 3 other tables and 2 servers, still they were slow to acknowledge us. Our waiter was in a total fog, kept messing with his hair and had to be reminded to bring water. Anyway, after 20 min. we asked about our food, he said "oh, the gluten free pasta takes longer." That would have been good information when we ordered. And, when it arrived, it was still under cooked. The sauces saved the meal, but that was about it. My dining companions had a small pizza and a salad. The salad was a poor example of a ceasar. They just opened a bag of romaine and and tossed some Parmesan cheese and dressing on it and called it a ceasar for $10. The pizza was ok. Because of the poor service and long wait time, I would not recommend this place unless it was the only place open.