“Clean, comfortable hotel - friendly staff”

TownePlace Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Tampa, Florida
“Clean, comfortable hotel - friendly staff”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed there for a weekend. Had a spacious, clean room. The do-it-yourself breakfast is minimal but sufficient - cold cereal and juice, muffins and toast available, and some microwaveable sandwiches in the fridge. The front desk staff was helpful and friendly. Overall, no complaints. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed here in January 2012 for a few days. Hotel is very clean and maintained, rooms are very cozy, but furniture is very worn down and could be replaced. Housekeeping is very warming and friendly but only a couple housekeepers were, other housekeepers were hard to interact with and understand. Management was very cold and not friendly, even though they might of been helpful, they were not friendly

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sara M
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Sara M,

I’m Gary, General Manager at this hotel. I would like to thank you for offering this feedback about your recent stay with us. I am so sorry that you did not receive exceptional customer service during your stay; I assure you this is not the norm. We strive for our staff to be courteous to all and this concern will be discussed with our staff. Thank you for complimenting the cleanliness of our rooms, housekeeping takes pride in their work and we appreciate you noticing. I hope that you’ll stay with us on your next visit so we can make this up to you. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel at (269) 353-1500.

Gary Sabbagh
Denver, CO
Reviewed 19 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights on a recent trip to Kalamazoo. We normally stay at one of the hotels at 1-94 & Portage Rd or I-94 & Cork St., all of which are getting a little threadbare. Based on the rave reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to try the TownePlace Suites. The hotel is clean and well maintained. We stayed in a King Suite which was more than adequate for us. The breakfast buffet was pretty standard fare - bagels, cereal, fruit, etc. No problem there but they close it at 9 am on both weekdays and weekends which is too early. There was a boys hockey tournament in Kalamazoo over the weekend so there were kids everywhere running up and down the halls - very noisy. Management stuck me as cold and impersonal. Overall, I'd rate the hotel as adequate, but nothing special or memorable.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms quieter
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Michigan
Reviewed 18 January 2012

So I stayed here on a business trip once before and was satisfied so I made a return trip only to find that their standards have gone downhill.

Poor housekeeping - hairs all over the bathroom

Maintenance in need - both the tub and the sink were backed up and took forever to drain, ever heard of Drano??? or Liquid Plumber???!!! How does someone in housekeeping not notice this? Also the water feels very slimy as if they need to add water softener. Anyone who regularly works in housekeeping should notice this if they're actually doing their job - which they're NOT!

Amenities - No wireless internet in the rooms.

Overall - still a newer hotel than the other Marriott properties in Kalamazoo but very disappointing, next time I will stay in Grand Rapids and do the daily drive to my meetings.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MIbusinesstraveler
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We came down here for new years eve. True that Kalamazoo doesn't have much to offer when it comes to attractions but because of this hotel it made this trip worth while. Were a family of six and our suite fit us pretty decently. It was kind of small but good enough for us. Every inch in this hotel is super clean and very organized. The service from all the staff was phenomenal. However, I need to mention the great great service from the hotel manager Gary Sabbagh. This man is by far one of the best hotel managers I have ever seen. We had an incident on our second day at the hotel, were we had some issues with the bathroom. So we called down and I talked to a guy named marcus. They weren't able to fix the issue because their repair man was out of town. So he called Gary and said that they would give us the key to the room next to us so we can use its bathroom. Also, They dropped the rate for us down from $129 to $69. We ended up staying an extra night because of the weather so they switched us to another room and kept it at the same rate. We truly thank the staff and Gary for there wonderful service and I really recommend this hotel for any person looking to stay in that area.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank almosawi11
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I stayed here on a business trip funded by the place I was interviewing with. They booked a suite for me and it was very spacious and modern. There was a full kitchen, complete with a dishwasher for the in house plates, cups, and silverware, a living area, separate bath, and separate bedroom. I was pretty impressed. The neighborhood was typical with the I-94 only seconds away and it seemed like a safe place to stay. After a snafu with the company I had been brought in by- my credit card had been charged for the room instead of the company being billed directly- the manager, Gary, straightened out the problem right away and I had a receipt confirming the chargeback within an hour. I would highly recommend this hotel for business travelers or those with extended stays.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My two kids and I stayed here a few days ago for a repeat visit. The hotel is still in good condition, has a friendly desk staff, and is a good price for families with children. A small but sufficient pool is available, ample parking, and nicely appointed modern rooms. The breakfast is free and the location is right off of the freeway which makes for easy sightseeing/visits. It is definitely worth paying a few dollars extra for the largest queen suite.

Room Tip: Great family spot-- pay up for a larger suite...it is a few dollars more and very worth it!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family