“Not so bad”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Read some of the reviews before I wrote this and was surprised by some of the comments. We didn't have that bad a stay at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and the room was fine. There was a nasty smell in the hall when we first checked it - an old skunky smell - like someone had been smoking some bad weed but the cleaning staff seemed to be working on the issue and the smell was gone in a few hours.

I did check for bed bugs upon arrival (like I do with every hotel I stay at) and didn't find anything.

The hotel was convenient for the University and we would probably stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 August 2011

This hotel is about on par with the Quality Inn on the other side of the freeway, but a little bit nicer in a few ways. But watch out at both hotels for extra charges. Both hotels add $2.50 a day to your bill on top of the 11% state/city/county taxes. They sometimes refer to it as a tax (which it is not) or a subsidy to the “free breakfast”, but it is really just an additional charge. Both properties will usually take it off your bill if you ask nice.

My room at Best Western was a pretty good size, enough to move around without stubbing your toe on the furniture. Everything was clean and looked pretty well maintained. Good pillows and pretty comfortable bed. And nothing smelled funny or weird. Internet speed was pretty good for a hotel, about 3-5mb/sec. Also, lots of channels on TV. Good water pressure in shower too. Breakfast included scrambled eggs, B&G, sausage, waffles, fruit, etc.

And don’t forget to ask about the 10% discount at the restaurant across the street. The beer is cold, the food is somewhere between good and just okay. The crowd is friendly (lots of regulars) but beware of VERY loud bands on weekends. The place is just too small for a live, loud, band.

Having paid the same rate at both hotels, both are okay, but I prefer the Best Western over the Quality Inn.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank BJDealer
Reviewed 28 July 2011

From the moment you drive into the parking lot I could tell this was going to be a great hotel. Beautiful grounds and plenty of parking. Rooms were very spacious. Well worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Trenbren
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We stopped here on our way to visit Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek. This hotel was OK. We were too tired to wake up in time for breakfast as it ends at 9 AM. We had to switch rooms since our first room smelled of cigarette smoke and someone removed the smoke detector from the wall. Our replacement room was fine. We noticed some areas of the room are not cleaned as needed.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2011

The staff at this hotel was wonderful! Every single person, from the front desk clerks, to the maintenance staff to the housekeepers were friendly and welcoming! We stayed 3 nights and this was consistent. My room was fine and even had a small refirgerator and microwave (although not all rooms have this). It had a small hairdryer and coffee maker as well. There is a computer for general use in the lobby, but I think they also have free wifi. We had to do some business and were able to borrow two tables. There is free breakfast each day. The pool, sauna and hot tub were are nice and very clean. It is not the Ritz, but next time I am in Kalamazoo, I will stay here again for sure!!! Seriously, the nicest staff ever!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Denvergal1234
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel with our extended family. We had a wide range of ages and three family groups. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. The pool, breakfast area, lobby and the spacious rooms accomodated our family group very nicely.
We took a trip to the nearby Air Zoo and just loved it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Olympiagrandma
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I don't usually take the time to write a review, but this hotel warrants a review and I caution all to steer clear. For the $120 price tag, you can hopefully do much and I mean MUCH better. Our room came complete with someone else's food in the refrigerator, a dirty tub and someone else's hair in the sink upon arrival. Not a great first impression and NOT what you want to deal with after a long travel day and a 9 pm check in. My son said he was afraid to sleep in this room for fear of bed bugs. We requested a different room and were told that they were sold out. When I pressed, they gave us a different room.The carpets throughout the facility were filthy. The elevator had no documentation of safety records displayed and sounded like someone was cranking it by hand. The walls in the hallways and in the rooms have paint chipping off and could use some serious washing and upkeep. Beyond that, I was awoken at 2 a.m. and at 2:30 a.m. by the front desk staff ringing my telephone for no apparent reason. I would very emphatically stress that this was a HORRIBLE experience. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank tripchicle
Travellers also viewed these Kalamazoo hotels
Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo
Baymont Inn & Suites Kalamazoo East
Quality Inn Kalamazoo
Quality Inn Kalamazoo
#21 of 31 in Kalamazoo
Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East - Expo Center
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Kalamazoo, MI

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Clarion Inn

Address: 3640 E Cork St, Kalamazoo, MI 49001-4645 (Formerly Best Hospitality Inn Kalamazoo)
Region: United States > Michigan > Kalamazoo County > Kalamazoo
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Shuttle Bus service Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Price Range: £45 - £80 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Clarion Inn 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Clarion Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Best Western Hospitality Hotel Kalamazoo