“It has lost its luster”

Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Canton Michigan
“It has lost its luster”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

When traveling, I usually do not support the big chains as I am trying to preserve the" Private Owned Motels" and help our economy thrive. On this occasion I returned to an old stand by that my family used to visit years ago. Although it was a well known chain, I guess I expected better. The pool and hot tub were clean and refreshing, the front desk staff friendly, and the standard breakfast adequate, the rooms were less than expected.
I should be assured clean rooms wherever I go and this one was not. The bathroom had mold growing under the tub,(check under the creases in the surround enclosure) the carpet left your feet black and the window and pictures had not seen windex in months. These are evident areas and set the overall presentation as tacky and uncomfortable. The bathroom light never went off so you close the door at night for darkness to sleep. These are minor issues, yet for the price, a clean room is most important. Forgo this one and try another as I cannot give a good review considering. If a clean room is important to you.......this is not the place to stay!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Oak Lawn
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We were returning from a "Lake Michigan circle tour". This was the last stop before returning home. I chose ths hotel because it is close to I-94, not expensive and how bad could it be for one night? VERY BAD. Lobby and desk clerk, Caitlyn were ok. The room was nothing special. The first thing we noticed was there was only about 3 sheets of toilet paper in the bathroom. Called the desk and someone promptly brought up 2 rolls. There was a refrigerator in the room that looked like it came from someone's dorm room. It was dirty on the outside with a label partially stuck to the front. When I went in the bathroom much later to take a shower, I found the bath mat to be soaking wet. Obviously left from the previous guest. There was 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and only 1 washcloth. When I sat on the bed, the side collapsed and stayed squished down. So the sheets won't stay on the bed. I looked at the mattress and it had to be at least 20 years old. I didn't look in the dresser drawers. but After reading other Trip Advisor reviews, I wonder what "goodies" were left behind.
Fortunately, the manager was at the front desk the next morning. We told him our complaints. I noticed we didn't get the usual e-mail asking about our experience from Best Western.
We didn't stay for the free breakfast. We weren't going to take a chance on the cleanliness of the kitchen. There's an Arby's next door and a Burger King and Denny's across the street. Wish I had read Trip Advisor before staying here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2011

we are an early twenty,s couple, the other reviews where right, it is a nice quiet hotel, car park was safe and the hotel rooms where nice, clean and comfortable, hotel manager was also very helpful. Its a bit aged but clean. Perfect for cheap one night stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Backpackerpaddy
SUDBURY
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Read some of the reviews before I wrote this and was surprised by some of the comments. We didn't have that bad a stay at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and the room was fine. There was a nasty smell in the hall when we first checked it - an old skunky smell - like someone had been smoking some bad weed but the cleaning staff seemed to be working on the issue and the smell was gone in a few hours.

I did check for bed bugs upon arrival (like I do with every hotel I stay at) and didn't find anything.

The hotel was convenient for the University and we would probably stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Scottsdale
Reviewed 13 August 2011

This hotel is about on par with the Quality Inn on the other side of the freeway, but a little bit nicer in a few ways. But watch out at both hotels for extra charges. Both hotels add $2.50 a day to your bill on top of the 11% state/city/county taxes. They sometimes refer to it as a tax (which it is not) or a subsidy to the “free breakfast”, but it is really just an additional charge. Both properties will usually take it off your bill if you ask nice.

My room at Best Western was a pretty good size, enough to move around without stubbing your toe on the furniture. Everything was clean and looked pretty well maintained. Good pillows and pretty comfortable bed. And nothing smelled funny or weird. Internet speed was pretty good for a hotel, about 3-5mb/sec. Also, lots of channels on TV. Good water pressure in shower too. Breakfast included scrambled eggs, B&G, sausage, waffles, fruit, etc.

And don’t forget to ask about the 10% discount at the restaurant across the street. The beer is cold, the food is somewhere between good and just okay. The crowd is friendly (lots of regulars) but beware of VERY loud bands on weekends. The place is just too small for a live, loud, band.

Having paid the same rate at both hotels, both are okay, but I prefer the Best Western over the Quality Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank BJDealer
Kalamazoo
Reviewed 28 July 2011

From the moment you drive into the parking lot I could tell this was going to be a great hotel. Beautiful grounds and plenty of parking. Rooms were very spacious. Well worth the money.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Trenbren
Westland, Michigan
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We stopped here on our way to visit Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek. This hotel was OK. We were too tired to wake up in time for breakfast as it ends at 9 AM. We had to switch rooms since our first room smelled of cigarette smoke and someone removed the smoke detector from the wall. Our replacement room was fine. We noticed some areas of the room are not cleaned as needed.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family