“Bad service and poor cleaness.”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel in February.. I didn't write a review because I was so angry about the service and cleaness.

They don't clean your room, including the bathtub, you can leave the food trash everyday and if you don't put it in the trash basket, they won't do it (I purposely acumulated it for several days).

The pool and gym were not available for several days.

At the corridor, in front of the elevator entrance, someone poured something like vanilla milkshake and remained dirty until the next day.

And don't expect so much about the buffet, if you are lucky, may be you'll find scramble eggs instead of cold "boiled eggs". The person responsible for the buffet is the receptionist, so imagine how this person prepares the food, clean tables?, while he/she attends the front desk.

We complained directly with the general manager since the first day, but nothing change the next 9 days...

If you travel that area, there are several hotels next to this hotel and there are also restaurants, so be careful, ok ?

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 November 2011

I find the staff at the front office very friendly and helpful for the direction of the local attractions. Free buffet breakfast is always nice. Very good rate for my business and pleasure stay there. This is one of the large Best Western that I stay for my trips.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jm4tl
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Stayed here one night on the way to Toronto. We arrived around 2 am to a shouting match in the parking lot between two obviously drunk people. Despite the large size of this hotel, we ended up with our rooms right next to these people. The walls seemed paper thin as we could hear their conversations until around 4 a.m. when they likely passed out. Also, although the hotel is currently non-smoking, I think we were in a room that had been smoking during its previous life. The carpet still smelled of smoke, and the room had an overall musty smell. I would not stay again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We found a good rate online. The free buffet breakfast was large, with entrees changing from day to day. We were provided a roll-away bed at no charge. My only complaints were that no cribs were available and the bed linens were not changed after juice was spilled on them.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2011

When traveling, I usually do not support the big chains as I am trying to preserve the" Private Owned Motels" and help our economy thrive. On this occasion I returned to an old stand by that my family used to visit years ago. Although it was a well known chain, I guess I expected better. The pool and hot tub were clean and refreshing, the front desk staff friendly, and the standard breakfast adequate, the rooms were less than expected.
I should be assured clean rooms wherever I go and this one was not. The bathroom had mold growing under the tub,(check under the creases in the surround enclosure) the carpet left your feet black and the window and pictures had not seen windex in months. These are evident areas and set the overall presentation as tacky and uncomfortable. The bathroom light never went off so you close the door at night for darkness to sleep. These are minor issues, yet for the price, a clean room is most important. Forgo this one and try another as I cannot give a good review considering. If a clean room is important to you.......this is not the place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We were returning from a "Lake Michigan circle tour". This was the last stop before returning home. I chose ths hotel because it is close to I-94, not expensive and how bad could it be for one night? VERY BAD. Lobby and desk clerk, Caitlyn were ok. The room was nothing special. The first thing we noticed was there was only about 3 sheets of toilet paper in the bathroom. Called the desk and someone promptly brought up 2 rolls. There was a refrigerator in the room that looked like it came from someone's dorm room. It was dirty on the outside with a label partially stuck to the front. When I went in the bathroom much later to take a shower, I found the bath mat to be soaking wet. Obviously left from the previous guest. There was 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and only 1 washcloth. When I sat on the bed, the side collapsed and stayed squished down. So the sheets won't stay on the bed. I looked at the mattress and it had to be at least 20 years old. I didn't look in the dresser drawers. but After reading other Trip Advisor reviews, I wonder what "goodies" were left behind.
Fortunately, the manager was at the front desk the next morning. We told him our complaints. I noticed we didn't get the usual e-mail asking about our experience from Best Western.
We didn't stay for the free breakfast. We weren't going to take a chance on the cleanliness of the kitchen. There's an Arby's next door and a Burger King and Denny's across the street. Wish I had read Trip Advisor before staying here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2011

we are an early twenty,s couple, the other reviews where right, it is a nice quiet hotel, car park was safe and the hotel rooms where nice, clean and comfortable, hotel manager was also very helpful. Its a bit aged but clean. Perfect for cheap one night stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple