“Is this Best Western's new standard?”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I have stayed here for corporate for years. I used to enjoy my stay and even looked forward to it. Something however has changed with this place in the last year or so. Most noticable with the staff. Their attitudes are just rotten and they clearly don't strive for customer service. The breakfast has a great selection but it isn't cooked right so everything tastes old and hard. The rooms are going down. The wallpaper is bad and has strange patchwork throughout. Little things in the room are either broken, missing or oddly fixed. There is almost no vending. This place has to be under new owners or management because it wasn't always this way. If you dare express concerns they will shift you to the next person who will ultimately not take care of it anyway. I think the staff would rather you don't stay here so they don't have to do anything! Luckily corporate has decided to switch chains to stay in!!! If this is Best Westen's new standard, I couldn't be more disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank sgleske

Reviewed 9 June 2013

When you walk in it appears to be wonderful. The lobby has a beautiful staircase a nice "living room" type spot with a big tv, a computer with internet access and a nice little eating area. The level above the beautiful staircase looked new and had cool furniture. There was a girl with a bandana on and a drill in her hand ( Yes I said girl) that stopped what she was doing to apologize for the remodeling process and help me carry my luggage and draw with my kids while I checked in! The front desk girl was happy to be there it seemed and very helpful. Unfortunately that's about where it ends.The doors that are supposed to be secure by key entry are propped open at all hours for some reason.. It looked as if they were busy remodeling rooms but the room I was in was gross. The floor felt sticky, I didn't even want to put my feet on it without shoes. The toilet didn't flush right, the toilet paper holder kept falling off. You could see where some things had been damaged and someone tried to fix it but it was awful. A maintenance man knocked on my door twice to see if someone was smoking pot or if we knew if someone around there was.When we assured him we were not he treated us as if he was CSI. I felt so unwelcome and insulted. The next morning the cleaners knocked a couple times to see if we were still there. Must have been in a hurry. Hot tub wasn't working and I was really looking forward to it. Maybe when the remods are done this hotel will be worth it but as it stands now it is not. Thank you to the girls mentioned above but the rest has me never wanting to visit this place again.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room if possible
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Taryne running the front desk on my arrival was wonderful. Michelle taking the night shift also wonderful.
Rooms are ok. Much older building.
WiFi constantly kept going out. Front desk had to keep resetting. Owners need to provide reliable WiFi!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Powerplant66
Reviewed 15 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently on a drive from MN to our home in Canada. We only spent one night, but we were pleased with the hotel. The staff was very welcoming to us as well as to our Sheltie dog. (for a $15 fee). The room was reasonable for the price, everything worked and the beds were pretty comfortable. We had no shampoo in our room, but this was probably a small oversight by the person who cleaned the room. Nothing to get upset about. The breakfast was more complete than many we have had at other hotels in this price range. There are no good restaurants nearby, but we drove a few miles down the road and found a steakhouse where we had dinner. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sara1207
Reviewed 16 April 2013

My boyfriend and I were staying in K-zoo on a couple's weekend going to FireKeepers. All of the girls at the front desk and breakfast crew were amazing. Thanks Tristan, Michelle, Shelly and Becky for making my stay feel like hanging out with friends!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Jerralyn S
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Drove through Michigan on this day and wanted to say we stayed in Kalamazoo. Found this place just by exiting off the freeway. The place was okay for the price and the breakfast area was decent. Not a lot of restaurant options nearby, we ended up eating at Arby's in the evening.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alg77
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights. I was a bit leary about it because of one of the reviews I saw...so, I called first. On the phone was a really nice, helpful young lady (deffinitely NOT a meth head as someone "revenge reviewed" prior to me btw, revenge review= someone, not even staying at the hotel (because they live IN the town of the hotel they are reviewing!) who has a problem with someone who WORKS at the hotel. There is NO WAY there was a "meth head" at the front desk at this location.
Anywho...the hotel was great. My bed was really comfortable, room nice and clean, great maid service AND extremely helpful front desk and hotel staff!
I travel for business purposes, and I do look forward to staying at this location again!

Room Tip: call before you book
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business