“Clean and Basic - remodeling.”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Buffalo, Minnesota
“Clean and Basic - remodeling.”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Breakfast was good and the room was clean. Front desk staff at check in was wonderful however - there was a non-responsive person Mid-Shift. Upon discussion with the manager my issue was resolved. As always better to bring to managements attention for resolution.

Wi-Fi in the rooms seems to need to be re-set often but it always worked in the lobby area. Close to several restaurants.

I always appreciate hotels that are dog friendly and this one certainly was. As a bonus in the pool area was a lift for people with disabilities to access the pool. I didn't need it but it looked to be in order.

Room Tip: Since they are working on remodeling - if some specific amenity is important to you - (hot tub for e...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank dmcarty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We always choose to stay at BW hotels and until recently we had only experienced a few minor issues with noise. Our latest visit will be our final.

The staff is unprofessional. They are loud. Rude. They should not be in customer service. Our room was missing shampoo and conditioner and several of the other complimentary items.

The pool and hot tub were extremely dirty and filthy. They advertise amenities that are not even available for use.

This hotel is not the place to go if you are looking for leisure. It's just entirely to loud. And it's rigmarole the staff.

The beds are soft and the pillows are great.

Wauconda, Illinois
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

So for us, we needed a place to stay during our soccer tournament. If your looking for just a bed to sleep in, that's really all this hotel is good for. The rooms were ok. I think a good scrubbing would freshen the place up. It's smelled of body odor when we first arrived. The meek air conditioning unit helped to slightly freshen the place after a few hours. The pool area was dirty. Our kids wouldn't even swim (had we let them). That's how obvious it was. The sign on the door said "sap jets" were broke. Never heard of those before. When we saw the spa had visible brown dirty muck resting at the bottom, we realized it was a typo on the sign. Check your spelling please! Plus, if the spa was broke (and filthy), then put the cover on or drain it. The fact that it's dirty doesn't help the overall feel of the place. Also, the pool surface had things floating on it. The color of the pool almost looked more greenish pond like than bluish pool color. I also thought it unusual that our sold out hotel had no one in the pool area at 8pm. The girls at the front desk were nice and helpful. The halls were hot. The wi-fi isn't working on either iPhone or the iPod or the iPad or the nook. No mini fridge. There is a microwave in the room and ice machine in hallway. I'm curious as to what the breakfast will be like in the morning. Overall, I would choose another place to stay. We did get a great rate, so maybe that is what we get for the price. If we had paid the regular rate if $139, I would have been even more disappointed. When we come again next year, we will choose a higher rated hotel.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I have stayed here for corporate for years. I used to enjoy my stay and even looked forward to it. Something however has changed with this place in the last year or so. Most noticable with the staff. Their attitudes are just rotten and they clearly don't strive for customer service. The breakfast has a great selection but it isn't cooked right so everything tastes old and hard. The rooms are going down. The wallpaper is bad and has strange patchwork throughout. Little things in the room are either broken, missing or oddly fixed. There is almost no vending. This place has to be under new owners or management because it wasn't always this way. If you dare express concerns they will shift you to the next person who will ultimately not take care of it anyway. I think the staff would rather you don't stay here so they don't have to do anything! Luckily corporate has decided to switch chains to stay in!!! If this is Best Westen's new standard, I couldn't be more disappointed!

1 Thank sgleske
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed 9 June 2013

When you walk in it appears to be wonderful. The lobby has a beautiful staircase a nice "living room" type spot with a big tv, a computer with internet access and a nice little eating area. The level above the beautiful staircase looked new and had cool furniture. There was a girl with a bandana on and a drill in her hand ( Yes I said girl) that stopped what she was doing to apologize for the remodeling process and help me carry my luggage and draw with my kids while I checked in! The front desk girl was happy to be there it seemed and very helpful. Unfortunately that's about where it ends.The doors that are supposed to be secure by key entry are propped open at all hours for some reason.. It looked as if they were busy remodeling rooms but the room I was in was gross. The floor felt sticky, I didn't even want to put my feet on it without shoes. The toilet didn't flush right, the toilet paper holder kept falling off. You could see where some things had been damaged and someone tried to fix it but it was awful. A maintenance man knocked on my door twice to see if someone was smoking pot or if we knew if someone around there was.When we assured him we were not he treated us as if he was CSI. I felt so unwelcome and insulted. The next morning the cleaners knocked a couple times to see if we were still there. Must have been in a hurry. Hot tub wasn't working and I was really looking forward to it. Maybe when the remods are done this hotel will be worth it but as it stands now it is not. Thank you to the girls mentioned above but the rest has me never wanting to visit this place again.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room if possible
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Taryne running the front desk on my arrival was wonderful. Michelle taking the night shift also wonderful.
Rooms are ok. Much older building.
WiFi constantly kept going out. Front desk had to keep resetting. Owners need to provide reliable WiFi!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Powerplant66
London, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently on a drive from MN to our home in Canada. We only spent one night, but we were pleased with the hotel. The staff was very welcoming to us as well as to our Sheltie dog. (for a $15 fee). The room was reasonable for the price, everything worked and the beds were pretty comfortable. We had no shampoo in our room, but this was probably a small oversight by the person who cleaned the room. Nothing to get upset about. The breakfast was more complete than many we have had at other hotels in this price range. There are no good restaurants nearby, but we drove a few miles down the road and found a steakhouse where we had dinner. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple