“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here one night as we were passing through town and after reading other reviews were unsure of how it was going to be. However, we were very pleasantly surprised. The room (while in need of updates-had peeling wallpaper, etc) was clean and the bed was comfortable. The front desk staff was helpful and friendly, breakfast was hot (though quite carb heavy) and tasted good. We were overall happy with our stay and would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Shelli D

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very disappointed with the condition of the hotel which was apparently taken over from Best Western Hotels....carpets and appearance very very old and stained....room was clean ..... breatkfast was terrible....not prepared at 7 am....coffee aweful....overall very very disappointed....I am handicapped and had to take the elevator to 3rd floor and walk quite a distance to our room...
smelly and noisy in the halls....people slamming doors...probably just letting them close on their own....overall very upsetting

Room Tip: Suggest waiting until they renovate...choose another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ann H
Reviewed 17 July 2014

It is a little confusing when you do a search on your GPS but this hotel used to be a Best Western Hotel. They had signs advising of renovations in progress but I did not see any. My room was very clean. Pillows were fair and could be replaced. Breakfast was good. Seating area is ok. Front desk staff were very knowledgeable of the area. She provided assistance to advise of an area where I could go for a jog. She was also knowledgeable of restaurants nearby. Good stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CS P
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I could not believe that I paid 139 per night for a room that was dirty. There was hair all in the shower, even on top of the shower wall! The toilet paper holder was falling off the wall, the shower curtain rod was the same, so the curtain constantly fell into the middle, causing water to get everywhere in the bathroom. There was a pill cut in half on the dresser upon arrival and another pill on the floor in the sink area. I have young children, can you imagine how bad that could have ended up? The hotel staff did absolutely nothing! The room was musty and the pain was peeling off the walls. So I had to clean the room myself. Oh, and for the price you pay, you don't get a refrigerator, or a microwave. If you want one, you have to pay $10 per item. I advised them to keep the fridge at the front desk until I returned from my oldest son's baseball tournament, since all of my families belongings were left in the room (Electronics, purses, etc.) upon my return, the fridge was in my room against my request.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. The Clarion inn is NOT where you want to stay.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Kayla H
Reviewed 23 June 2014

There was black mold in the shower, tape on the shower head, and a terrible musty smell. Run for the hills! This place was disgusting. It was way over priced for what we got. Our soccer team was booked for a tournament and all greatly disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beth N
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We arrived at this hotel to signs of "Pardon our dust - renovations in progress" and immediately cringed. This has happened to us in the past and it usually means the hotel is filthy. Not so here!
This hotel was surprisingly very clean, quite comfortable, and located in a very nice area. The front desk staff was very helpful to us and quite friendly. We didn't have time to use recreational facilities. We basically checked in and slept till breakfast and checked out. Breakfast was the usual hotel fare. Fortunately they had yogurt and some fresh fruit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BBStacker67
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I've stayed at this location before when it was owned by another chain. Clarion just took it over a month or so before we stayed here. They had painted all the rooms so they are a little brighter and fresher. I think they've updated some of the furniture, not sure about that. The beds were very comfortable and the pillows were really nice. Our room was clean and the only problem we had was that two days of our 5 night stay we didn't have housekeeping service until late in the afternoon, after we were already back from the dog show. We elected to just get fresh towels and waive the service those two days. The housekeepers and front desk staff were all very friendly. My only complaint was that the pet fee was a little pricey. I know that a few bad seeds can ruin that for everyone, but I bring my own sheet to put over the bed comforter in case a dog jumps up there and I bring my own towels to wipe their feet before they come in the rooms, etc. Some of us are conscientious and we have to suffer with high pet fees due to a few bad ones. I know some people were staying a few rooms down from us and their dogs barked constantly and when they checked out I saw their room door open and they had left dog hair all over the place. That is just inexcusable, but some people are just pigs. I hope they'll reconsider the fees for next time the dog show is in town, at least maybe for those of us who are careful to treat the rooms like we would our own homes. All in all it was a great hotel, convenient location and I will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends