“Home away from home”
Review of Hall House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kalamazoo
Hall House
Ranked #5 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

One of the best B&B I have stayed at. They are very accommodating, and will be respectful of allergies, etc as regards breakfast. There is always good conversation at the tables, and a hostess that makes everyone feel very well taken care of. The rooms are all different, and all are comfortable and well maintained. The house is historic, with all the current amenities, including wifi. Very convenient for Kalamazoo College and Western University visitors. A treat to visit, and an exceptional experience in a interesting town.

Room Tip: All rooms have unique characteristics. Check the web page and see whether you want the incredible s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ionia, Michigan
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This was our first ever stay at a B&B, and we were so very satisfied with our experience! We were in town for a weekend convention which required that we arrive early and be out the door early each day. Our innkeeper discussed our schedule with us before we even arrived and arranged for an early check-in, and specially planned early breakfasts for us. She was knowledgeable about area restaurants and we found her recommendations helpful and honest.

The breakfasts consisted of fresh fruit, a delicious baked item (raisin pumpkin bread one day, a cinnamon oatmeal muffin the next), an egg dish (a zucchini herb scramble one day, and a southwest scramble the next), and sausage. The portions were generous, and the food was flavorful. Coffee, hot teas, and orange juice were available to drink.

We stayed in the Rutherford room, which was clean and roomy, and due to lovely weather we kept the windows open and stayed quite comfortable. The bed slept very comfortably, and the pillows were adequate. The decor seemed authentic to the house and the tile work in the bathroom was amazing! The shower stall was fully functional, but the bathtub was out of order.

The only slight negative issue I can think of is that the house faces a busy roadway and a college campus to one side and we had to keep the window closed on that side to keep the traffic (and very occasional rowdy co-ed pedestrian) noise down. I am a light sleeper, and had no problems once we closed the window, though.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We have made a point to stay at the Hall House whenever we stay in Kalamazoo to attend the Gilmore Piano festival and other events. We have been returning for about 10 years. It is a beautiful older home, lovely furnishings, quiet and convienient. The owners David and Cathy Griffith are most welcoming and sincerely friendly. The breakfast is always outstanding.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My son and I stayed at the Hall House while visiting Kalamazoo College. We loved it. The room was very clean and ultra quiet. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was very good and filling. My husband and I will definately stay there when our son is at K.

• Stayed April 2013
Manhattan, KS
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is a very quiet house located on the edge of campus of Kalamazoo College. We enjoyed our stay. We had a very informative house tour and the breakfast was nice. Some of the furnishings and antiques are fascinating.
The only problems were toiletries from the Dollar store (a rarity!) and very little heat at night. They also have some incredible regulation posted online that says that you can check-in only between 4:30 and 6:30PM. I don't know if it is enforced but please do let them know when are you planning to arrive. You probably don't want to spend the night outside.

Room Tip: Each room is different; make a selection based on the photos posted online
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
house275, Owner at Hall House, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
We thank you for your review and the nice comments. In response to your other concerns; Be assured we never purchase any items from the dollar store. Soap, make-up remover wipes and shoe shine cloths are purchased from a Bed & Breakfast supply company.Shampoo and conditioner are purchased in regular size bottles instead of all those tiny bottles so as to be environmentally conscious. We apologize if you were cold on the second night of your stay. During check-in we encourage guests to let us know if there is anything they need or if there are any problems during their stay. This way any guests needs or problems can be immediately addressed. We live on site and can be contacted by dialing a two digit number on your room phone. Our normal check-in time is 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., later check-ins can be accommodated. It is common practice with Bed & Breakfasts to have a set check-in time(s), which varies from B&B to B&B. We ask guests to inform us if they are going to arrive at a different time, which you did with your 9:30 p.m arrival and which we gladly accommodated you with.
Don't worry folks, a comfortable bed inside the house awaits you.
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at the clean, friendly and beautiful appearance of the Hall House and by it's owners, The Griffiths. My room was spacious and luxuious with all the comforts of home plus the added delight of home baked goodies in the morning made by Mrs. Griffith! I was so impressed with the large iron-clad bath tub and walk-in shower with multiple shower heads. I was compelled to soak and it completely relaxed me. Then the inviting canopy bed lulled me to sleep in the safe, quiet neighborhood environment. I opened the large windows for fresh air. I awoke so refreshed, and didn't even need the wake-call or alarm clock, provided. The check-in and -out process was so easy and convenient that I commented to Mr. and Mrs. Griffith that I wished I had more time to spend there and I would definately be back at the next possible opportunity!!!

Room Tip: I had a tour and each room is different and delightful, depending on your needs at time of travel.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Roanoke
Reviewed 5 February 2013

My colleague and I stayed here as a guest of Kalamazoo College. We were so comfortable and well cared for, it was hard to leave. The house is across from campus, just down the hill from the campus center, library and performing arts complex. The accomodations are superb, very comfortable and spacious. Breakfast is delicious, just the right combination of something warm and additional treats. The innkeeper is very friendly but doesn't hover and is sure to make sure you have what you need, no problem. We especially appreciated the extra treat of hot tea/cocoa and cookies left on the second floor for enjoyment after sloshing around in about a foot of snow! Just stay here, you don't need to look further.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business