“Great one night stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Orlando, Florida
“Great one night stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

It's in the middle of town close to everything that we wanted to do. I really don't have much to say because it was only a night. The room and bathroom was clean, the front desk was very friendly and informative.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Amber A, Front Desk Public Relations at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us! Being situated so close to everything in the downtown area is definitely one of our favorite things about our Kalamazoo location. Perhaps in the future you might like to visit for a downtown Kalamazoo Art Hop or one of our Arcadia Creek summer festivals. We hope that you will come and visit us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Zionsville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I found myself in Kalamazoo for a pipe organ conference. The Radisson Plaza Hotel was the "official" hotel, giving attractive room and parking rates to conference participants. I understand that the hotel has been recently redone. No significant complaints whatsoever. Very friendly staff. Clean, quiet room. Shower head leaves a bit to be desired, but I got myself and my hair (I have shoulder length hair.) clean!

I tried two hotel restaurants. Old Burdick's Bar and Grill offers typical pub fare. It is a sports bar with plenty of televisions. My hamburger was just fine. They offer half-price discounts to students on Wednesdays and Sundays. That is a really nice gesture and explained why the place was packed on 'Sunday night, even in the summer. Alas, I remember when I was a college student! There are two colleges here: Kalamazoo and University of Western Michigan.

Tonight I dined at Webster's Prime, a fairly fancye steakhouse, and the only one I could find in Kalamazoo. I chose the Tasting Room over the more formal dining room. The ambience was outstanding, with Impressionist, neoImpressionist, and even Expressionist art. (The server told me that the art changes montly, and they really like this collection.) She was very friendly, and the filet was prepared as ordered. She recommended the asparagus, and I was disappointed. It was dry and tasteless. The table was wobbly. Obviously, I am nitpicking. This steakhouse is just fine, and it is probably the only one in Kalamazoo.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay here at the Radisson in Kalamazoo! We are definitely proud of our lounge space in the Webster's restaurant, we are lucky to have access to some wonderful local art, and are thrilled that you were able to appreciate it while you were here.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experiences with us; we will be sure to pass along your feedback to the restaurant, and make sure our tables receive any necessary repairs.

Since you were able to try out two of our three restaurants, we hope that at some point you will be able to enjoy a meal at Zazios, our modern Italian restaurant. Please come visit again soon!
kalamazoo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself was awesome. Took the kids to the pool and a man from the club was there swimming laps and kept YELLING at my kids. He was very rude. I don't like the mix of the gym membership people using the hotel pool. When I go to a hotel with my kids I pick one with a pool and this guy ruined it for us.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience in our pool area! We certainly understand your frustration, and hope that in the future we will be able to mediate any future issues between various pool patrons.

We hope that you will come back and visit us again, so that we can build a better experience for you in Kalamazoo!
DETROIT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Start off this my second visit this month to Radisson Plaza Hotel like always service was exceptional. When we arrived our room wasn't ready but Mark told us it would be about 30 minutes and offered us amenity coupons which was fine with me. I was upgraded to a Manhattan Suite which was outstanding and included the Concierge Lounge. Friday night Amber was the Hostess and even though I don't know her like Allison and Erin she is really nice. Second night Erin was the Hostess and she is so cool and nice and lets you know things that's going on in the area. Eventhough Allison wasn't working the Concierge Lounge but we ran into her leaving to go to Island Festival so we gave her a big hug because she feels like family now. It's always a good feeling when you arrive to a Hotel that you're excited to see Allison and Erin again to hear how they have been since your last visit. Oh and I can't forget Joe at Burdicks Breakfast, he gives great service and conversations just like Allison and Erin. Before I forget the very nice Lady that does the OJ, Smoothies, Fruit at the Breakfast Buffet is amazing but I don't know her name because every time I see her we talk about everything else LOL.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amber A, Front Desk/Concierge staff at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
We are thrilled that you feel at home here at the Radisson! We are glad that you enjoyed your room upgrade, and utilize the ability to relax in the concierge lounge. It is wonderful that you feel comfortable connecting with our staff, and we hope that you will come back again soon and visit your new Kalamazoo friends!

We look forward to seeing you again,

-Amber
East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

My stay at the Kalamazoo Radisson was a great experience. The updated lobby, rooms, etc. make for a "fun" experience. And the staff--I can't begin to express how very helpful every staff member was-- they went the extra mile in every case. Always smiling and cheerful. The Front Office Team Leader, Mark, is incredible. Great to work with. Treat yourself to a stay at the Kalamazoo Radisson. You'll be glad you did.

Room Tip: Pay the extra bucks for the Concierge Floor. It's well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amber A, Front Desk/Concierge Staff at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Merrilyn,

We are thrilled that you enjoyed our newly remodeled facilities! It's wonderful that our staff were able to help you enjoy a comfortable and memorable experience, and we hope that you will come and visit us again!

Regards,

Amber
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Just stayed at the Radisson for a soccer tournament and would highly recommend staying at this hotel. Zach at the front desk was extremely helpful from the time we walked in and I shared this with the supervisor Mark the next day and he was just as nice and helpful. Thank you to you both and I wish everyone was as nice and helpful as you both were. The room was great and very clean with no problems.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amber A, at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here in Kalamazoo! We are definitely very lucky to have both mark and Zach on are team, and are glad that they were able to help you enjoy your stay with us here at the Radisson.

We hope that you will come back and visit us again soon!
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Hello everyone,

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, as I was in the process of taking a Real Estate course.

Besides a couple minor issues in my room and my horrific conversation with Michelle, the guest relations manager, this by far is one of the nicest hotels in Kalamazoo.

Walk into the hotel, using a Carlson Friends and Family Rate, as my friend, who is now working at a Radisson Blu in China, gave me this special rate code. Anyways, walk in to good vibes from Antwon, I would say one of the best employees there. I get my room, which was upgraded to a Business Suite due to my Gold Elite status, and go up the elevator. Walk in the room, ut oh, not a business suite, walk back downstairs. No big deal. Get my key card for my actual room and I was wowed; what a beautiful room! A special welcome gift was waiting for me too, a delicious treat from the local bakery:). But wow, this room had the wraparound windows, full kitchen, bar area, living area, two sink bathroom, a HUGE shower, and another room which leads to the bedroom. So after a long day of real estate class, I turned on some lights, and one of them decided to be stubborn and not turn on. Unfortunately, I could not find the plug myself (assuming it was not plugged in) and called down to the front desk. The lady said she would send an engineer up right away. No one showed. Fortunately, Antwon took the problem in his own hands and came up, we plugged it in, still didn't work. Antwon said he would send an engineer up right away, and he was there within 2 minutes of him leaving. Antwon following through for me, great guy. Light is now fixed and I decided to hit the gym, which was BEAUTIFUL. Called the Kalamazoo Athletic Club, it has all the free weights and machines you would ever want to use, a workout studio to use at your disposal, and a cool lap/leisure pool with hot tub in waterfall. Go back up after a great workout and was ready for my shower.

There were two heads to the shower, one removable and one permanent. Permanent one turns on, no problems. Removable one turns on. Water starts spritzing everywhere. It was just not my day. The pipe was busted! After my shower, headed to the Business Lounge, which was ok. They have a full service bar, water bottles, and sodas. Night appetizers were weak, little bread and dip. After that went to my room to sleep. I was exhausted, and that extremely comfortable bed hit the spot.

Woke up the next morning and went to the Business Lounge to see what was for breakfast. Simple continental breakfast with packaged bagels. Chose to go to Panera. At lunch break, I decided to give a call to Michelle, the guest relations manager who reads the Trip Advisor reviews. I simply just wanted to tell her about the problems I had with my room so nobody else had to experience the same. The conversation didn't go too well.

Went as so: Simply telling her about the problems in my room; had a flickering light, the whole waiting for the engineer who never came, the busted pipe in the shower, and some other minor problems, and just simply saying that these things should be checked out before somebody checks in. She says thanks for telling me all of this, but usually when YOU call ME you are not going to write a TripAdvisor review mentioning these things. What? Of course I am still writing the review, just letting you know whats going on. Especially because it was a Business Suite, it's no cheap room. She then asks "what do you want me to do about it? send an engineer up?" Then it hit me. Michelle first of all saw I was on the Carlson F&F rate, therefore giving her a reason to treat me as inferior, and then out of frustration and not wanting to talk with her said, "nothing, I don't want an engineer in my room when I get back." Antwon, I would say the best and most caring employee at the hotel, should be the guest relations manager in my opinion.

Come back after class and do my workout in the Athletic Club. Take my shower with water spraying everywhere. Even with the pipe busted, everything was all good. Go to Brudick's for dinner, had a great burger, watched some NBA finals action. Studied for my exam that was taking place the next morning and went to sleep in that extremely comfortable bed. Overall a great stay, besides the minor problems I had and my conversation with Michelle.

Valet: A little pricey. $20, but easy in and out and car is waiting for you at your convenience.

Also, if Mark, one of the hotel managers is reading this, consider Antwon for a high level position. Honestly the best hotel employee I have ever had the chance to work with.

Room Tip: Business Suite all the way. Do a status match to Club Carlson Gold Elite and book a standard room. Y...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank matthewbloom1
Ashley G, Operations at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear Mr. Bloom,

We are very pleased to hear that our associate Antwan exceeded your expectations. I will pass your compliments along to him. I am also glad that you enjoyed our hotel and the amenities we offer. The Kalamazoo Athletic Club is certainly a pride of ours and it's great that you got to take advantage of it. Thank you for providing details regarding your stay, and I will follow up with my team about specifics. We appreciate your feedback very much as it allows us to serve our guests better in the future.

Regards,