“Spacious Room”

Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Received an upgrade to business room and enjoyed the extra space. Hotel is in a great downtown location and offers great views. Hotel does not offer a business class lounge, but does give a coupon for a drink and also breakfast at Burdick's. Make sure you receive your coupon at check in, I didn't get mine at check in - I was too tired once I got to my room to mess with it, the next morning I went to the front desk and they told me no. I may be wrong that I was supposed to get breakfast (I get an upgrade being a Gold Club Carlson member) so this may not be the hotels issues. I was upgraded to a suite that was very nice and spacious, had nice amenities- table, bar, stove top, microwave and full size refrigerator. The bar provided for an excellent workspace. Veiw was wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Kalinda W, Concierge at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

What a delight to hear! I am happy that you received an upgrade to our business rooms-they are a favorite of mine! I am sorry to hear that you were not informed of our exclusive lounge on the 9th Floor, referred to as 100 West. Our Concierge lounge comes fully equipped with computers, printers, express breakfast and hors d’oeuvres in the evening along with two complimentary beverages per room each night. Please give us a call at 269-343-3333, we would love to offer you the VIP service on your next trip.

Thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,959)

Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I stayed in a Manhattan Suite over the weekend due to a discounted rate promotion on the hotel’s website. I have parked at this hotel before and shopped her, so I already knew it was kind of a weird layout/design from the parking garage to the hotel, which continues to elevator placement on the room floors also. To save space I’ll just summarize our thoughts per area –

Parking garage - Very tight with our truck, husband said if you can't get in a standard garage door, don't try this. The stairs leading into the hotel from the garage is challenging when loaded down with bags. Ticketing is a bit tricky when you have the ticket from the hotel too, took us awhile to figure out and we ended up getting out and helping another car with it.

Living room – comfy and quite large with a couch, two chairs, two tables and a tv with tons of storage beneath. Good lighting and individual heating for this room. The bedroom area has it’s own heat controls though being able to pick a temp instead of warm/cool would be nice.

Kitchen – small but functional, we only really used the full size fridge. Ice cube trays would be nice but walking to the ice machine isn’t that much of a hassle. It was very convenient for handling leftovers. Entryway light and kitchen lights on timer/motion sensor to shut off on their own but snap back on when you walk through.

Bedroom – huge king size bed, chair, two nightstands and desk/dresser combo with a tv. Very little light came in from the windows and it was pretty sound proof. The heating/cooling system has a fan that runs continuously so that probably helps with the sound. Pillows are very comfy but the bed was too firm for our liking and my husband likes a firm bed. Ipod docking station/alarm clock is nice but very bright, had to throw a pillow in front of it. Lots of electrical outlets by the bed.

Bathroom – huge with lots of counter space by the double sinks and a nice shelf in the shower for necessary items. Whirlpool tub was kind of strange, as the jets were the opposite of where you’d want them, but still worked for soaking. Lots of hot water and decent shower pressure for a hotel. Shower head placement is a bit off to the side considering how large the shower enclosure is. Sink area is separate from bath/toilet area and can be accessed from bathroom or kitchen area with doors, which is nice. Great amenities, never had a loofah provided by a hotel before. I was impressed with the cleanliness too.

Room service – good food, though typical too expensive with all the fees/gratuity. Two sandwiches and one pop cost $40. But it was late and we were starving. Wish the room service menu had a few more options, but we really like we what we got.

Public areas – Lobby’s modern look isn’t my cup of tea but it’s not ugly or anything. I was sad to see the flower/gift shop replaced by a bridal studio for wedding planning at the hotel. Sydney has the same expensive clothes, but not the friendly service I remember from last time. Rio has good coffee though I would have liked to see a few more muffins available to purchase for those who don’t want to wait or pay a lot for breakfast. Rio also has gift items and sundries you may have forgotten, but they close at 9pm M-Sat and 3pm on Sundays. So by the time I was even unpacked Friday night, they were closed. Good thing we remembered our toothbrushes!

Staff - had some issue with a desk clerk obviously flirting with a valet when I had some questions late at night, but everyone was friendly and helpful.

As this hotel is in a perfect location and I have a couple friends in the area, I know we'll be back next time we visit Kalamazoo.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and provide even better experiences to our guests each time they visit with us. Overall it seems like you were very pleased with your stay. Since the last time you stayed with us, I have noticed some improvements and/or new developments in some of the items you listed. I will pass along your feedback to the appropriate departments for attention.

Again, thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks for choosing us as your choice hotel!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was really shocked and surprised when I walked into the hotel. I will say I was amazed about the chic and modern look as well as it felt and looked like the hotel was inside of a shopping mall because of the various stores and restaurants infused in the hotel. My room was a corner room on the 7th floor and it was beautiful. My room was spacious and included every amenity I needed refrigerator, an abundance of plugs (most hotels there is a search for plugs) and make-up wipes (this is sometimes a big deal for women for the hotel to even think of such to provide). I really love the rooms and the hotel decor. The reason I can only give this hotel a 4 is because I was there for a conference and the food was not to my satisfaction. I am not sure if it was because of the selection for the conference or just the fact that I had a higher expectation. My potatoes at breakfast were gummy, at a break-time none of the cookies were not labeled which for me is an issue because of a nut allergy, and just the quality of the food felt not like of a higher end hotel. If the food was wonderful this hotel would have earned a 5.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Jackie T, concierge at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

We are glad you enjoyed our hotels new look! We apologize that the food was not to you liking. Thank you for making us aware of this issue. You are right about the labeling of the cookies! That is a very important step that may be accidentally overlooked at times. We will be sure to inform our food and beverage team of your feedback. We hope that you decide to stay with us again so that we have the are opportunity to change your mind about our food.
We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

This hotel has recently been renovated, and it looks great. Our group has held a District convention here several times in the last few years, and noticed a big difference this time. Not only has the look been updated, but there has been significant staff training as well. All employees of the hotel have been trained to give outstanding customer service, and it is immediately noticeable. Everyone was helpful, from valets and front desk staff to housekeepers. They also have a great convention staff that is always ready to help.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback! We appreciate the complements on our renovation and staff friendliness. Our staff is very helpful and friendly, so never be hesitant to ask a question or help form any of our staff members.
We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Very nice hotel, in downtown Kalamazoo. Wi-fi included, with a good strong fast signal. I was here for a Barbershop Harmony convention. We have been here several times - never disappointed us. Only downer was the water was too hard, so it took long time to rinse off soap in shower. Manager is aware of this now. All staff was pleasant and friendly.

Several restaurants walking distance from hotel; Amtrak station only a few blocks from here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Jackie T, Concierge at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us during the Barbershop Harmony Convention. We pride ourselves on implementing ways to improve, so thank you for bringing the hard water issue to our managements attention. Thank you for continuing to choose the Radisson as your choice hotel and please let us know if there is anything that we can do to further accommodate your future needs.
We really appreciate your review!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is second time I have stayed here (last time 2011). Very centrally located and attached to a mall (more like, right over top of a mall). There are several shops, a conference center, good restaurants, and a fitness club downstairs. I used the club and ate at one of the restaurants. Clean, well appointed room, with friendly helpful staff. Shuttle drivers to/from airport. Check-out can be a bit busy so give yourself a little extra time. All in all, a good choice in Kalamazoo.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Michelle M, Concierge at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Hello there!

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are happy to hear that your overall experience at the Radisson was a great one! We are very proud of our hotel and its amenities. We strive to make every guest feel at home away from home. Next time you stay with us, I encourage you to utilize the benefits of our Concierge Team. Concierge can provide a wealth of information about Kalamazoo and add to your personalized experience.

Kalinda

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My parents buy me gift certificates sometimes so when we are in town we can stay at the hotel. Well recently we had one we tried to use from a year ago. We used all of the others except this one. It expired and the hotel refused to honor it. I even talked with a Manager and she refused to compensate us or try to fix the problem. Very poor on their behalf! Need less to say I have a lot of family and friends that visit that won't be staying there after this. When you pay good money for a gift cert on a room you expect them to honor it expired or not!! hence the name gift certificate meaning "it's been paid for". Shame on you Radisson!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 433briank
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Hello Brian,

Thank you for taking the time to talk about the issues that you are experiencing. It is not our practice to deny gift certificates due to expiration dates. I look forward to hearing from you in order to, most importantly, honor your certificate but also, get some more information on whom it was that gave you that information.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Michelle Mercer