“Very Pleasant Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Michigan
“Very Pleasant Hotel”
Reviewed 2 July 2008

My five year old son and I stayed at this hotel for two nights, and it couldn't have been a better experience. The staff is friendly and pleasant. The entire hotel is non-smoking, and the rooms were clean, fresh smelling, and well-maintained. The location of the rooms was a little bit of a surprise, since we did receive a room that was at the far end of the property, and located behind a staircase. After I drove by it twice, I realized where it was, though. It was a very quiet room, and although the location was not what I expected, it didn't feel unsafe. There was a lot of lighting, and it was only a short walk from the parking lot.

The room itself had a couch, a desk, a comfortable bed, a sliding glass door closet with lots of space in it, a ceiling fan, a mini-kitchen with a microwave, full refrigerator, stove, sink, and counter with two tall chairs for seating at the counter. There were pots and pans in the cupboards, as well as forks, spoons, knives, plates, etc. (One warning to anyone travelling with a small child, there is a knife drawer with large, sharp knives. Make sure to put them up as soon as you arrive.) There is an outdoor pool, and it was well-maintained.

The breakfast is free, and it is served from 6:30-9:30 on weekdays, and 7:00-10:00 on weekends. Make sure to get there well before the end of the serving time. We are late risers, so we rushed in at about 9:15 the first morning, and many of the items were gone and what was left looked unappetizing. I ended up with no breakfast, and just a cup of coffee while my son got some cereal, with no milk. The second morning, we got there with an hour to spare, and there was plenty of food, and the woman in charge of the buffet did a great job of keeping things replenished. There were scrambled eggs, sausage, English muffins, cereal, oatmeal, bread, bagels, fresh fruit, and freshly made waffels. The coffee was fresh and delicious, and there were also two juices to choose from, as well as milk and hot water for tea. There was a nice area in which to sit, too.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. If you plan to go to the Airzoo, or the Kalamazoo Nature Center, the location is ideal. We went to the Airzoo in the morning on Saturday, then went back to the hotel to swim and rest in the early afternoon, and then back to the Airzoo until it closed. (It is only a couple of miles away, so it was very easy to take this refreshing mid-day break.) There is also a lot of shopping, a nice little park, and plenty of restaurants within a few miles driving distance.

• Liked — Large, comfortable room with lots of ammenities
  • Disliked — It could have had more channels available on the tv. There were none suitable for young kids.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Skye9988

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 May 2008

Stay there for 2 weeks for business. Nothing special. Nothing special with the breakfast serve there. But clean, spacious room. Good for business traveller but not for family vacation. Long walk to nearest restaurant but close by with Kalamazoo airport.

• Liked — free internet
  • Disliked — far from restaurant and shops
  • Stayed September 2004, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 May 2008

Due to some negative reviews on this site, I almost changed my reservation to stay at the Hampton Inn (which is immediately adjacent to the Residence Inn). I decided to stay at the Residence Inn. It has all the comforts that a Residence Inn does. What stood out to me most was the exceptional friendliness of the staff, from front desk to the breakfast staff to housekeeping. They were very welcoming. I checked in at 11:30 a.m., and a room was ready. Regarding the noise, the rooms/buidings nearest to the Gatehouse/front desk are the closed to the highway. The ones on the other side (by the Hampton) are quieter. I like the free internet access in the room. The outdoor pool looked nice, and there is a 24 hour fitness center with the basics. Room was more than adequate. The breakfast was not as good as some other Residence Inn locations I've stayed at in the past. The food (sausage, eggs, potatoes) was cold, and so was the coffee. But it was very clean. The inn is not as "updated" as other Residence Inns, but I did not think it was filthy or a bad experience. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for its location very near the Kalamazoo airport and I-94, especially for a short stay. It's not too far from downtown either, and the area feels safe. It's not far from residential neighborhoods and restaurants.

• Liked — location, service
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank girlluxe
Fairfax, California
Reviewed 16 May 2008

We enjoyed our stay here. The bed and the rollout sofabed were comfortable, the free breakfast was above average for this type of hotel, including frresh cooked eggs, oatmeal, sausage, and a variety of cereals, bagels and muffins (not freshly baked,but certainly above average). The room was quiet and the staff was quite helpful. Well worth it.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank MountainLakeTree
Michigan
Reviewed 20 March 2008

I'm a frequent business traveler and I try to stay within the Marriott family as I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards member. That means on average I stay more than 75 nights per year.

I travel around the Great Lakes region regularly on business and this week I had some meetings in several of the smaller cities in western Michigan including Kalamazoo, where I booked a reservation for one night at the Residence Inn.

Now I don't need a good breakfast or fancy pools or spas or nice people to tell me they appreciate my business to make me happy, all I like in a hotel is clean accomodations and no noise so I can sleep. This hotel failed miserably to meet those 2 important requirements.

#1. This hotel is filthy. Nasty residue all over the walls in the bathroom, stains everywhere, mold on the shower head and sink nozel, slow flushing toilets - this is just a common Marriott trend, and the room seemed like it hadn't been updated in over 15 years. I wonder if this hotel even has Housekeeping service because with as many pubic hairs as I found all over the room (on the furniture, on the supposed clean towels in the bathroom, on the shower walls and floor) I would assume they do not. It felt more disgusting to sit on the toilet in the hotel room than a toilet at McDonalds. Kinda gross!

#2. This hotel is right off I-94 and there is no soundproofing efforts made and you can hear cars on the interstate racing by at all hours of the night...not good if you're trying to sleep.

Thank god I did not have my family with me...I have 2 young children and I would never let them stay in a dump like this. Thank god I also only had to stay there one night, I would have checked out anyway if I was scheduled to stay more than that.

Save yourself some grief and stay somewhere else that cares about cleanliness.

• Liked — The Hooters nearby has some hot women.
  • Disliked — Grosser than you could possibly imagine.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank MIbusinesstraveler
Eagle River
Reviewed 31 October 2007

Booked a two-night stay to visit family at college; hotel is about 15 minutes from Kalamazoo/ Western Michigan campus. Room was spacious for three persons, with a foldout sofabed as well as a king bed, a kitchenette with microwave, refrigerator, range, counter with stools and basic kitchen supplies, including place settings for four. Room also had a gas fireplace, which we didn't use.

Hall had separate sink/vanity and large mirrored closet. Both sink and bathroom shower were a little worse for wear/age, but clean. Complimentary breakfast was very generous and the staff member overseeing it kept everything well-stocked despite the morning crowd.

Our second-floor room was reached via outdoor steps; might be a consideration for travelers unable to lift/carry luggage or with mobility concerns.

• Liked — Great breakfast, daily and Sunday paper, reliable Internet, roomy studio, very well-equipped.
  • Disliked — Some highway noise, bathroom a little worn.
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Abbreviated
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 27 December 2006

I stayed at the Kalamazoo Residence Inn for a business trip in November 2006. It is located directly off of I-94 - very easy to reach.
The lobby is actually quite charming - the hotel had hot coffee, hot tea, and hot chocolate available for weary travelers. The staff was very polite and more than happy to answer any questions that I had. Although I did not use the exercise facility (directly across from the front desk), it appeared to be clean and equipped adequately.
My room was also very clean and spacious. It should be noted (for those not familiar with Residence Inn hotels) that the guest rooms are often not attached to the hotel lobby and require walking to/from the hotel lobby outside. I was aware of this and not inconvenienced and upon reaching my room, was pleased with the small touches - the mints, bottled water, etc. My only concern was the condition of the bed - a bit too old (or just too soft) for my liking.
Otherwise, I was quite satisfied with the service and amenities I received for the price of one night. On a last note - hot breakfast (complimentary) was awaiting in the morning and actually boasted quite an array of items - yogurt, scrambled eggs/bacon, cereal, waffles, etc. Checkout was expeditious, and I was on my way.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled on business