“A jewel of hospitality”

Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“A jewel of hospitality”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I cannot say enough about how wonderful our stay at Residence Inn Kalamazoo East has been! I say "has been" because my family of four has been here nearly 2 months while our home is being renovated due to an insurance claim. We still have a few more weeks to enjoy the amenities, friendliness and top-notch service the hotel staff provides here.

The staff here is excellent in every way. We have come to know many of them personally and every single one of them is friendly, helpful and always going above and beyond. I have two small children, and everyone -- from the managers to the housekeepers to the maintenance crew to the food-service employees -- greet my children daily by name, give high-fives, and ask my son about school and soccer. Two employees – Mike in housekeeping and Mike in maintenance -- have brought my son small gifts since finding out about his love of cars. When I come into the busy breakfast area alone with the kids each morning, the food-service workers – Amanda, Dominique and Douglas -- stop what they are doing to grab a high chair for my daughter because they know my hands are full. Amanda even set aside yogurts for my kids one morning when she knew they were running out of them, knowing that's what my kids like. Kasey, one of the housekeepers, personally tracked us down one morning with my son's favorite stuffed animal, which had been inadvertently gathered with the bedsheets the day before and washed. We thought we had just misplaced it and it would turn up. Well, it did, but only because of her keen eye and thoughtfulness. The front-desk staff – Carrie, Ashley, Dominique, Katie, Victoria, Nate, Jackie and Amanda -- entertained my kids for about an hour one morning while I printed and faxed some important paperwork pertaining to our insurance claim. They have kept breakfast open late for us on more than one occasion and allowed us to eat dinner early, too. Multiple times after I demagnetized my key card, with a baby and a preschooler in my arms, a staff person has rushed down to my room -- one of the farthest from the front office -- with new cards. Whenever I have had a few minor requests concerning my room or stay, they are immediately rectified. During our stay, we were privileged to get our own private classic car show here at the hotel when 50 or so enthusiasts stayed for the weekend while attending a local streetrod event. These people return to this Residence Inn year after year because of the hospitality they receive here. It was like a family reunion between guests and staff. The staff even set up a car wash station for them!

When we first came here, we were put in a single-room suite (across from the dog-walk area, which was extremely convenient given we have a dog and two small children). That's what the insurance company paid for, and what the hotel had available. My son slept on the sofa bed and my daughter in a pack and play provided by the hotel. It was comfortable, but there was very little room for the kids to play, and it was difficult to nap my kids or for us adults to be up past their 8 p.m. bedtime. Plus my husband, as much as he tried not to, woke us all up every morning when he left for work. Not long into our stay, Ashley, head of housekeeping, and Carrie, general manager, moved us directly across from our room to a one-bedroom suite, which was a mirror image of the room we had, except it also has an additional bedroom with a door and a second bathroom. They did not charge us anything additional for the upgrade. We were comfortable before, but now we can spread out and actually have something of a normal life with small children.

The property itself is very nice, always clean and definitely in the process of being upgraded. The maintenance staff – Mike, Rodney, and Dustin – keep the grounds impeccable. I have read some of the negative reviews regarding the rusty stairs and the outdated appliances. I understand that it's not perfect, but this hotel is clearly working on improvements continuously. Just like every homeowner knows, something ALWAYS needs to be improved. It’s never ending. It’s no different at a hotel. I guess I never expect things to be perfect anywhere I stay. Perfection is always in flux! I have the outdated appliances in my room, but they work just fine. The rust on the stairs is being treated. Every place we go on this property (and believe me, my kids and I have explored every inch!) is clean and safe. The pool and surrounding area are super clean and there are always towels available. I also love the outdoor lounge area with the fire pit and the grill available to guests, as well as the 24-hour gym. As far as this being a “poor” neighborhood as one commenter states, I don’t agree at all. Again, I LIVE in this town. This hotel is nestled between one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Kalamazoo and it’s equally desirable sister city, Portage. I actually used to live a mile down the road and this is a safe area close to lots of restaurants and shopping. It is close to the interstate, but most hotels are. I don’t consider that factor as contributing to a “poor” location.

The dining area is pretty spacious, and the daily breakfast bar offers a large variety of options. The free dinners on Tuesday through Thursday nights are adequate and varied enough for my picky eaters. Robert and Douglas do a great job serving each and every guest. They bring milk for my kids even though it’s not a standard item at night.

The housekeeping staff is friendly, respectful of our personal things, and they always pay attention to detail. Mike, Kasey, Cody, Christy, Earline, Yolanda, Cassondra, Ebene, Saharah and Barbara are wonderful and have made us so comfortable. Mike and Barbara have brought treats for my kids, as well. Several times I've asked housekeeping to come back later because my baby is napping, and they do so without complaint or problem. Often we are in the room when they are here, and they always are professional and courteous while also interacting with my children. When I make special requests about extra towels, etc., I don't have to ask twice, even though different people clean our room daily. Many of them give special attention to straightening the kids' toys and shoes, and fold the kids' blankets neatly while displaying their special dolls and stuffed animals.

I have stayed in hotels where the aesthetics are impeccable but the staff is unprofessional. We stayed at a different hotel the night before we checked in here. The room was beautiful and fully renovated, but despite twice asking in advance of our arrival and twice after we arrived for a crib to be ready for my baby, it was not. It did not arrive until 1 a.m., without even an apology. That kind of thing would NEVER happen at Residence Inn. My issues are resolved promptly here.

I highly, highly recommend Residence Inn Kalamazoo East to anyone staying in this area. We never would have had the pleasure if not for our insurance claim, ironically enough. I never realized this jewel of hospitality existed just a few miles down the road from my home. Please don’t let a few negative reviews of this hotel deter you from experiencing the excellence this staff exudes. Those complaints were isolated incidents, and, in some cases, not even reported to management until after the fact. I am thoroughly convinced that the staff would have remedied those situations immediately had they been given the opportunity. Please take the word of someone who has called this place home for 49 days and counting. There is no place like home, but Residence Inn Kalamazoo East is a close second.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the parking lot have slightly more noise but much better sunlight.
1 Thank Beth E
Carrie O, General Manager at Residence Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking time from your very busy schedule to write such a great review of our hotel. We truly appreciate the review and all of the areas you addressed. Your family has been a treat for us here at the hotel and we do look forward to seeing your family every day. Thank you for the kind words.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here for a tennis tournament. Nice size rooms, breakfast was fine. Only wish Marriott would serve earlier on the weekends than 7:30. Location is not bad just not close to WMU or KU, about 15 min away.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel on Trip advisor. We appreciate the great review. I cannot speak for all Marriott Hotels but I can say that when you stay at the Residence Inn Kalamazoo all you need to do is let us know what your needs are and with a little pre planning we can make sure you and your family have a great breakfast before the tennis match. Thank you for choosing Residence Inn and I hope to see you there again in the future.
ohio
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I travel often and our recent experience at this Residence Inn was very disappointing. Initially I wasn't going to write a review, but I kept thinking about it and felt I had to "vent" a bit in hopes that others might avoid a similar experience.
We spent two nights in August while in MI for a week. When we arrived, we realized from the lay out of the buildings that this was an older Residence Inn. Since we are in our late 60's, DH asked for a first floor unit; the receptionist was very pleasant and explained that we did not note this when we made our reservations and thus none were available. So she gave us a 2nd floor unit close to the main building (reception and breakfast area). While climbing the steps to our unit, we noted large rusty stains on all the concrete steps. When we entered our unit, I noticed the stained carpet but noted newer living room furniture. We were tired and hot and just wanted to empty our car and bring up our belongings, so I didn't pay attention to anything else - until we were unloaded. Then it was one negative thing after another.
1. My husband set up our laptop on the desk and sat in the desk chair which was wobbly and very low; he could not adjust the height and just sat in a bar stool with the computer on the bar area.
2. I wanted a cold glass of water; I went to the freezer and turned on the ice maker hoping I'd have a few ice cubes in a few minutes. I unpacked some things and about 10 minutes later when I had no ice, I called the front desk and asked where I'd find an ice machine. Found out that there are NO ice buckets and the only machine is in the main building in a back hallway and you had to ask for a plastic bag (a very small one with no tie or zip lock) to get the ice. Someone did bring a bag of ice for us; after I took some for my water, I put the bag in the freezer. Keep in mind this is August so because of travel time from the main building to our unit, the bag was sweating and dripping. Thus, later when I wanted ice, the whole bag was one big solid frozen ball of ice. The ice maker never did work and when activated made a loud terrible noise. Twice a day I made a trip to the main building for ice, and always had to use a sharp knife to break up the ball it formed in the freezer.
3. Now, I'm in the kitchen concerned about the non-functioning icemaker when I take note of the very very dated appliances in kitchen - all the appliances were so old, I'm surprised they were still in working condition...maybe they weren't, but I was not about to even try to use them - just their apperance was a "turn off". There was no way I was going to make coffee in the disgusting coffee pot; it might have been clean, but it was nasty. I opened the dishwasher and saw two dishes inside; and the inside door and bottom of the dishwasher were stained a rust color. I avoided the stove and microwave and told my husband I would NOT do a thing in that kitchen except keep bottled water in the refrig. The only thing "updated" was the counter top.
3. The bathroom vanity top and sink were also updated as well was the new tile floor in the shower/toilet room...but that was it; the shower head was so rusty, I wouldn't shower. When I went to change the roll of toilet paper, the holder was rusty and rough.
If I had known all this before we unloaded, we would not have stayed in this room. I was so uncomfortable during our stay, I realized we should have initally complained and taken our leave. I'm upset with myself that we didn't. I realize that I am the problem for being so upset. But I can't image how a room in this condition - half updated, half not - would even be "rented".
At check out I did convey my concerns to the assistant manager on duty; she was very nice and explained that all new appliances were in their possession but not yet in all the rooms; she wrote down most of my complaints for the manager and deducted 20 dollars off a night from our bill.
I know I need to be more diligent when researching for our travels.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Carrie O, General Manager at Residence Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
I understand that you are disappointed with your stay here at the Residence Inn and appreciate your feedback. I also appreciate that you noted on more than one occasion that the staff was friendly. The stairs were brand new in November of 2011 and because the proper sealer was not used on the steal it started rusting something horrible. The integrity of the stairs has not been compromised at this point however the looks of them are less than desirable as you mentioned. We have hired a new contractor to replace all of the stairs and that project is scheduled to be complete on or before November 15th. The carpet is also newer from 2011 and did not hold up well with the exterior entrances. We are in the process of change all of the carpet in the hotel to a more sturdy better stain resistant carpet and have hired an outside company to remove stains until all carpet can be replaced. The final item are the appliances. The assistant Manager was correct that we are putting new appliances in all of the rooms. Once that is complete everything in the rooms will be brand New again. I want you to know that I truly appreciate the feedback and please feel free to contact me anytime if you would like to discuss this any further. I hope that if in the area again you would try our hotel so you can see all of the improvements.
Highlands Ranch, CO
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We ended up booking several rooms for a wedding weekend. We hadn't planned on booking so many rooms but when the first group (us) checked in we let them know we wanted to be close together. They moved most of us into adjecent buildings. They were some of the friendliest front desk people I've ever met.
Breakfast was standard waffles, eggs, biscuts and gravy, and sausages as well as the standard cold fare. Nice area to eat in the main building.

Rooms were nicely laid out although the bathroom grout was dirty (mold?) and there was a very odd scent in our room only. Otherwise very nice kitchen, couch and double beds. Beds were very comfortable and couch folded out into a sofabed as well.
Has a basketball court next to a average size pool and very tiny hottub. There was also a nice area you could grill.
Overall the outside of the buildings could stand some refresh (point), the windows could be washed, but would consider staying there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for the nice comments and the feedback for areas of improvement. We are an older property and have been working on a refresh in all of the rooms. The exterior of the property is one of our biggest troubled area and we are just starting a new project that will make us look new and beautiful. The contractors are expecting to be finished no later than November 15th. Once again Thank you so much for the feedback we truly appreciate it and I hope we will see your group back again maybe for a family reunion!
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We reserved the most expensive room, two large beds, two bathrooms. We stayed for two days, after the being out all the first day my wife and I returned to the room and found the main bed hadn't been made. We are in our 60's, have stayed in many, many hotels, motels from $29/night on up and we have never, never had this happen before. We called the front desk and complained and ask that we get some money taken off our bill for services not rendered. Because we had reserved the room through a third party and paid in advance, (Travelocity) they won't deduct anything from our bill.

Lesson learned: don't pay in advance - arrange to pay at the end of your stay and adjust your bill according to the quality of service you received.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank wolfy9048
I am so disappointed to hear about your experience here at the Residence Inn. I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly to get more feedback. Please feel free to contact me Directly at the hotel 269 349 0855 or via e-mail at coberthaler@odysseyhotels.com.
indianapolis
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Has more of an apartment feel than newer versions. No elevators. Spread out in building blocks. Some apartments are quite a walk from the pool and breakfast room. Tight parking. Clean,spacious and in good repair. Nice bed,full stove , fridge a d dishwasher. Nice breakfast bar in room and nice sofa. Very quiet. Super friendly, helpful staff. Pool has a jacuzzi and pool towels. Nice visit with family and I expect other inlaws to stay there in the future

Room Tip: Gatehouse is most convenient. Above the pool and breakfast room, yet quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Carrie O, General Manager at Residence Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for the kind words. It is a bit of a hike from the buildings at the further end of the property, however when you and your family return keep in mind at the time of the reservation you can make remarks or give us a call and let us know you would like to be as close as possible to the pool or gatehouse area and we will do our best to accommodate your request. Thank You!
Fontana, California
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We used this site as our family reunion residence. Our family ranged from under 2 - 86 years old. We checked in all through the day and late into the night. The front desk staff was marvelous! The great service did not end at the front desk; housekeeping was really responsive also! We had planned to have an outside celebration on Saturday; however, thunderstorms threatened. The staff quickly accommodated us by letting us use the breakfast area.

My family asked that we be sure to send a rating review AND that we make Residence Inn our FIRST choice for future reunions! Thank you for a memorable stay. My Dad is 86. Every reunion is more precious. Thank you for helping us provide him with a great memory.

Room Tip: Family members had rooms on various floors and buildings. All members were satisfied with their roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Carrie O, General Manager at Residence Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. Your family was a treat to have here at the Residence Inn and we all enjoyed your time here. I hope that your reunion brings you back to Kalamazoo again soon and we look forward to seeing all of you.