“This one you get what you pay for !”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This is a budget motel so that is what you get. I have stayed at other Econolodges that were much better. The room was ok but nothing special and could really use a good cleaning. Was fine for an overnight but I won't go back. I watched as one person got out of a car, went to enter an outside door of the motel and continued to pull and tug on it till it opened for him. (this person did not have a card to swipe) That did not make me feel very safe. Also, people hanging about at the front desk and outside the doors. Some of the interior doors even had extra deadbolts on them. It looks like they are trying to fix this place up though. There were some rooms wide open and others with a sheet hanging in the doorway so that's what leads me to believe they are working on it. I did not however see any maintenance type employees working there.

Room Tip: make sure to use your extra security door lock and get a room on the upper floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 April 2012

My brother and I recently spent a few days at the hotel. I was very impressed - my last hotel I stayed at was not a good experience and when my brother told me of the cost of the room I was a bit skeptical. But the room was very nice and clean, a front desk staff that was very helpful and kind, a check-in process that was very quick. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank james k
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We became a little nervous about staying here after making last minute reservations and then reading the reviews. The room was clean, the lobby beautiful. The desk attendant was very sweet. The outside is a little run down granted but you could tell the carpet in the halls had been freshly shampooed. For a cheap room it held out.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 1 November 2011

First appearence was not the best but The lobby is Beautiful!!! The rooms were large, comfy and clean. Seems like newly renovated rooms. I think this is the best room for the price. I was looking for an interior hotel to stay in, near the Western Mich Univ, but everything else was very expensive. Dont expect much for breakfast but thats econolodge. Staff was friendly and very helpful. Easy access to interstate and shopping. Not bad drive to Western Mich Univ.
Definately stay there again....

Room Tip: Stay upstairs so no one is above you!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Chew302
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I tend to choose this hotel for the price only. It is convienient to my client worksite. The breakfast is enough to get you thru the morning.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back facing West appear to be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2011

The room was OK but could've used a really good vaccuming as there were cheerios and chip bits left from the previous guests. The bathroom reeked of bleach but the sink and toilet were clean. Breakfast consisted of juice, coffee, tea, cold and hot cereal, muffins, danishes and toast. It was OK to get me back on the road but not very nutritious. The area where the hotel is located is shady and I was more than a little concerned about leaving the van overnight but everything was fine in the morning. This is an inexpensive place to stay for the night but I would stay elsewhere for an extended visit to the area.

Room Tip: Try to avoid getting a room that faces the pool as it was very noisy till the pool closed.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ivanavyn
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I traveled with 2 young children to visit a grandchild in the Kalmazoo area. I had researched this hotel and thought I was staying in a smoke free hotel with an outdoor pool that the 3 children could enjoy. The Hotel staff smoked constantly around the pool and the exit doors. The signs around the pool stated "No Pets at pool side". But there was a dog that was allowed around the pool. One evening there were 4 to 5 pople drinking alcohol in glass containers and an adolescent throwing wet towels at people in the pool. There was a room facing the pool with the window open and a toddler climbing in and out of window and on to chairs. This young child was also left unattended at times around the pool. Our toilet overflowed and was not fixed when I requested at the front desk. Several hours later I asked the desk clerk to please come with a plunger to fix the toilet, which he did. I was aware that the costs of the room was less than what I usually paid when I make this trip. But as a consumer, I should be able to trust that the area is non smoking and feel safe in the environment. Otherwise the room was fairly clean, although defintely in need of repair..i.e. molding along the floor was sticking out.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family