Quality Inn Kalamazoo
US$113
US$210
US$168
  • Pool
All reviewsindoor poolwafflesstayed for nightsstay there againclean roomslinensmimattress
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We came back to Kalamazoo and wanted something a bit better than the Econo Lodge, where we stayed previously. I arrived very, very late (2 am) with my young child and the person that checked me in was sort of rude, but did check me in quickly, which was nice. I had other family that arrived ahead of me, so they knew I was coming and had my room assigned ahead of time, etc.... My family member went to turn on the A/C because it was incredibly hot and it needed to be cooled down before our arrival. The rest of the staff was very, very nice and helpful when we needed information and directions, etc. They have a computer and printer available to guests in the lobby.

We picked this place in part because of the indoor pool. It was pretty small, but my child really enjoyed her time in there. I was sure to shower her off afterwards, because it had a lot of chlorine in it. They provided small towels there as well. There was a fenced patio area outside of the pool, which my family enjoyed going to for afternoon reading.

Our room was nice with new mattresses and linens (we were told they we just a week old). It was clean and the carpets were in really good condition. We were on the 3rd floor, so noise was never an issue.

The breakfast was good as well. Offerings included 2 types of cereal, waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, bananas, oranges, 3 juices, coffee, etc. I'm probably forgetting some stuff.

Overall, I think it's the best budget-friendly motel we've stayed at in Kalamazoo. I think we will probably only stay at this location when we go back in the future.

Room Tip: We had 3rd floor rooms and liked them because they were quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Denvergal1234
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Hotel is in a good/convenient location. It was much easier to walk next door to McDonald's that to try to eat at the hotel's breakfast bar. Too many people in a really small area. Room was clean with the exception of pillowcases and sheets that were yellow from being used a few too many times.
Lobby could have been a little cleaner and more welcoming. (Lots of dirty cobwebs in the ceiling.)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MichiganBean
Reviewed 29 July 2013

While the interior lobby needs some updating and or renovating, I found that the rooms were clean and crisp. The grounds were landscaped well, the pool was clean and warm and well stocked with towels. What really made this stay was the staff. Every single person who worked there was more than helpful and very friendly. It is conveniently located off of I-94 and is within an easy drive to the Air Zoo, the Airport, Crossroads Mall and all of the restaurants along Westnedge. It's also minutes from Downtown Kalamazoo. All for a price that doesn't blow up the family vacation budget.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bruce B
Reviewed 1 July 2013

There is a reason that the property is "aggressively" priced, it is worn.

However,

I liked this property as it is easy off/on of the interstate (94) but located far enough away from 94 so that highway noise isn't a problem.

Property is a bit dreary/worn but room was fresh enough & bed was crisp/clean.

AC unit was a bit noisy so cranked it while out to dinner, then turned off when went to sleep.

There is a small pool, with an outdoor deck (shaded) and some chaise lounge chairs. Nice to sit outside on a lounger.

Usual suspects of sausage/eggs for breakfast here, free as was the Wi-Fi.

Next door is a McDonald's if that is your thing.

If anyone is a donut person, I highly urge you to drive over 94 on Sprinkle Road to 2138 Sprinkle Road to Sweetwater donuts, one of the few places that still make their own donuts inhouse (99.9% of Dunkin Donuts do not and as a result their donuts are meh). I think Sweetwaters is open 24/7, here is their website with other locations listed: http://sweetwatersdonuts.com On their website it lists them as being mentioned in Saveur magazine, pretty impressive.

Room Tip: get a room facing the back (away from McDonald's) for the most peace.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Hemant J, Manager at Quality Inn Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

As it is listed on every website, we offer a complimentary CONTINENTAL breakfast. This means that we do not have an on-site chef or food preparer. Our food is brought in from an outside food service. We do however offer more of a variety than most do on their continental breakfast, which is mostly danish and coffee. Being so close o outside restaurants, if the continental isn't your thing, McDonald's is just next door, and a family restaurant just on other side of street light befoe 94.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed there this past weekend for 2 nights for a wrestling tournament in Battle Creek. The whole hotel was full of little youth wrestlers with lots of energy. We were with a big group also. We picked this hotel because it had a pool and something for the kids to do. Well, the pool was way over chorinated...it was HORRIBLE, all the kids had rashes, irritated skin and eyes, they couldn't breath and would cough non-stop in the pool area after being in there a short time. You could smell the strong smell of chorine the minute you stepped into the front of the hotel lobby. So you can imagine with nothing to do, these little guys were very restless and hard to keep quiet on the 3rd floor. They were so excited to go swimming and that was ruined. When I talked to the manager on duty the next morning, I was told that they check the levels of the pool water every Tuesday. I have a very hard time believing that. That water was NOT safe for little ones to be in. Also, we were harassed over and over by the night guy at the front desk. Even to the point that he told us, if he got one more complaint we would all be kicked out of the hotel. Again, the hotel was FULL of little wrestlers and their families. Our kids were not the only kids running around. I have traveled all over, staying at hotels. Never in my life have I been treated so disrespectfully by that man "Jeff" at the front desk. He even yelled at one of the little ones in our group to the point of tears! I would NOT recommend this hotel to ANYONE. It's terrible.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank JackieO76

The pool is monitored both on property and off for water cleanliness and as more substances are added, such as lotion, moisturizers, hair spray, colognes, nail polish, etc. The more chlorine that is added to the water to maintain clean water, being a public pool. There is a water rinser just inside pool entrance that most people do not use before entering the pool. We do have hallway cameras so when guests call to complain of noise or kids etc, we can look to see who or where coming from BEFORe we go up and inquire and ask to keep it down. We also have it stated on registration cards at sign in of our no-tolerance noise complaint policy to respect the other guests who want to sleep and that kids are to be attended by parents or guardians at all times.