“Mistake” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Caro, Michigan
“Mistake”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I made this hotel reservation when we got to the hotel it was SMALL. I reserved a roll in shower. They don't have one. The room while "pretty" was VERY Small.. And stunk like cigarettes while we didn't stay and did get a refund. I would not recommend for a handicapped person at this time.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Rev P, Manager at Super 8 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 15 December 2015
Thank you for the concern we are currently working on these issues we hope that you may give us another chance

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

The room was disgusting. We checked in after 2 1/2 month reservation. My room had no phone, clock, battery in smoke alarm chirping, hole in wall, no pillows and stains (not just one) on bedspread. Smelled like smoke. I had even called letting them know we were coming in a little late and they responded they were there 24/7. My friend's room was the same, stained bedspreads, plaster falling in the bathroom, smelly room, no lock on her door, hole in wall. We chose to not stay there. No other rooms available. The poor kid at the desk was overwhelmed as another person came asking to towels as there were none in his room. He called and found two rooms at the Microtel for us which was appreciated since there was an event in town and most motels/hotels were booked solid. Needless to say...I took a shower at the other hotel after being in the room there. Very disappointing as we have stayed in many Super 8's and honestly, this is probably the WORST motel/hotel I've ever stayed in. Clean it up people!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dkp58
Rev P, Manager at Super 8 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 15 December 2015
Thank you, we are currently working on these issues we hope that you could give us another chance
Elkhart, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I'll never stay at a Super 8 again. Smell, dirt and broken. Had to take a shower after sleeping as we felt dirty. went out for breakfast for something which might be safe

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Rev P, Manager at Super 8 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 15 December 2015
thank you we are currently working on the issues and we hope to see you again in the near future
Green Bay
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Let me start this by saying, everything in this review applies to room 121 and no other part of the building. We made last minute plans to go to MIS for the weekend, so this was a last minute booking. I'm pretty sure I got the last room in the hotel. We were happy that we got a 1st floor room so we didn't have to haul everything up to another level. On first glance, the room was newly updated and included a fridge, freshly painted walls and new art on the wall. We left and went for dinner so we weren't there long. At that point all I can say is there was an overwhelming smell of smoke in the room. When we got back, we found the fridge was turned to the highest temp, so we lowered it and put leftovers and beverages in there and proceeded to get ready for bed. When I pulled down the sheets...they were spotted and appeared dirty. My husband went to the front desk to get new sheets and the person at the desk struggled to find us new clean sheets. After digging, we finally had clean sheets and settled in. My husband shut off the light switch and the cable box shut off and static was on the tv...seriously, who connects the cable box to a switch?!?

The next morning after I showered, I went to use the dryer and guess what...it didn't work. At the same time, my husband went to get a drink out of the fridge and it was warm. 0 for 2 on appliances in the room! We were leaving early to get to the track and didn't have time to go to the front desk. (PS the bed was very comfy and the AC worked spectacularly!!)

It was a comedy of errors with this stay, but what saves this from having the worst rating is that when I talked to management when I checked out, they apologized, took a list of what was wrong and gave us a credit.

Why am I writing this review? I'm hoping someone out there stays in room 121 after me and can provide a review on the room that says it was a great stay and that everything worked. Will it be you? :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Rev P, Manager at Super 8 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 15 December 2015
Thank you , we currently working on these issues we hope to see you again in the near future
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were in Kalamazoo for the United Kennel Club Premier Event. The room was barely adequate, and certainly below average even for a budget hotel. There were some serious issues. During our three night stay, our room was only cleaned one time. One night we were kept up from 2:30 am until 4:30 am by loud noises and banging. There was a huge bag of trash sitting on the second floor for 3 days. We looked out of our window one morning to see that the hotel was being staked out by police in four police cars. Management never communicated with us about any of this. The outside doors were never locked. Other hotels that would accept pets were booked, and we had no options except to stay put.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Rev P, Manager at Super 8 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 17 December 2015
Thank you for your concern , we are working on the issue at hand , we hope to see you again in the near future
Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

OK... So we got to the motel. There was a 20 minute wait because there was only one person to check people in. He was pleasant and working as fast as he could. We got to our room( up 3 flights of steps, NO elevators) and were disappointed to find our room had not been vacuumed and our TV didn't work-all static. The bedspreads were very stained and the sheets were so old there were "see through" areas. The chair to the desk was broken and had a cloth type cushion that was heavily stained. The room did have GREAT air conditioning (temp in the room was cold on a very HOT day). The bathroom looked clean at a glance but we had seen enough. The front desk man did show us another room across the hall but that room wasn't much better, when I pulled the sheets down my husband and I found hair and a small yellow stain on the fitted sheet. Now I have to say the Front Desk man felt bad and did try to accommodate us but understood our concerns and saw what we saw. We did not stay. The price was good but the pictures on line are deceiving. We were disappointed. We also believe this place might have permanent or at least long term residents because when we pulled up we saw some plants/flowers in the 1st floor windows- just looked odd to us One thing going for it is that it is right off the highway near MANY restaurants and stores.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Rev P, Manager at Super 8 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 17 December 2015
Thank you for your concern we are at this time working on these issues at hand we do hope to see you in the future