“Staff went above and beyond” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West

Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Staff went above and beyond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

Below is a letter I wrote to the hotel management after my most recent stay:

I have been a guest at the Holiday Inn at Kalamazoo several times over the past couple of months. While it has always been a pleasant experience, I wanted to let you know I have seen a definite difference in the staff this time. They have always been professional and
pleasant. But this time they seemed like they were happy to be doing their job and it was a pleasure. I have been traveling a lot for work over the last few months, and I cannot tell you how much I appreciated their smiles and happiness. It felt like some resorts that I've
stayed at where the customer service was done just right.

There are two specific individuals that I have had more than one encounter with that I'd like to mention. However, everyone I have seen in the hall or around the property have been very accommodating.

1. Rachelle was the housekeeper for my room. I left her a small tip and she wrote me the nicest thank you notes. I can tell you this is not normal at most hotels. I always leave a small tip, but most of the time it is not acknowledged. I don't expect it to be acknowledged,
but it was such a nice surprise to see her notes. Not only that, but she went above and beyond by noticing that I had some wine splits in my room. She left me a clean wine glass each day along with a little candy. What an amazing touch. It made me happy to get back to my room each night.

2. I'm not sure what the young man's name was who was at the front desk the night I checked in, but he was so friendly and cheerful. He wasn't over the top which always seems fake, but he seemed genuinely happy to be at work and was just so nice. After an entire day of traveling, it was such a relief. I saw him at the front desk a couple of times after that and his interaction with other customers was just as genuine.

Whatever you are doing to keep your staff happy, keep it up! They are passing that on to your customers, and it is greatly appreciated. If I could find two employees like those mentioned above, I'd keep them happy too! You just can't afford to loose good people.

When I come to this area, I work in Battle Creek - which is a bit of a commute from here. However, I will continue to stay here because of what a great experience I have had.

Please pass my praise on to your staff.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Downers Grove
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

My daughter and I stayed here while visiting a college. The room was clean and comfortable. Did not take advantage of the swimming pool but imagine if we stayed there with our younger children, they definitely would enjoy having that along with a Foosball, pool and ping pong table available, not to mention the arcade room!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Colorado Springs, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed here while visiting Kalamazoo College. Front desk staff very friendly. Room was comfortable and clean. Had a Priority Club welcome gift and received a breakfast voucher that we used at the breakfast buffet the next morning. Restaurant staff also very friendly. Would stay here again!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

The taff made the difference on this stay which would have otherwise been "the usual". We were welcomed by name, with a Priority Club gift, with staff rushing to help with luggage and get us settled. The restaurant breakfast buffet was excellent (and was complimentary as one of the priority club options). Only downside was noisiness of other guests as the hotel was booked full and exuberant patrons.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

The accomodations were clean, new, comfortable, and easy to get to. The three conferences going on were loud on and off throughout the night as people arrived or left our neighboring rooms. The "heated" indoor pool was housed in a very cold room, and the water itself needed to be about 5 degrees warmer to comfortably swim.

Room Tip: Stay away froms rooms on the fourth floor overlooking the roof of the indoor swimming pool- noisy ve...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Hilton Head, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

Recently stayed a week at the Holiday Inn Kalamazoo West and was hesitant since Holidomes are usually crowded, noisy ,old & dirty, but booked based on good Tripadvisor reviews & because we are Priority Club members. We stay in hotels approx. 7-10 nights a month (mostly Hiltons & Marriotts) and are very picky about cleanliness & the general feel of a hotel, but unfortunately we were very disappointed in this hotel. First, we must say that all of the staff members we met at the at the hotel were friendly & professional; but our first impression of the hotel was the condition of carpet in reception...just dirty. Carpets in hallways...dirty...carpet in elevator..filthy ,and carpet in our room...well a bit dingy. That being said...our 3rd floor room, though a bit dated...did have good & timely housekeeping by a young friendly staff the entire time we were there. But the double room was tiny, especially for a week's stay and it had no lounge chair or place to sit except for the bed and desk/office chair, so all week we lounged on beds when in room. We ate once at the restuarant and ordered once from room service and have to say food was good, plentiful, reasonable priced and presented nicely by a very friendly staff. Pool -holidome area was quiet most fo the week we were there, but we never had a chance to use the large pool. Our only complaint and what would hold us back from giving a good review is that the dirty carpets gave the entire hotel an old smelly feel about the place. Please Holiday Inn Kalamazoo West...please clean your carpets! Hotel has good potential but not until carpets are dealt with. Will probably not stay here again unless carpets are cleaned or replaced.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank tripstakeus
ateske, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Good news! We have heard you and listened! We recently purchased two carpet cleaners and have plans to replace the carpet in the foyer this year! As a matter of fact, just this week, we cleaned several areas with our new carpet cleaning machine and it looks great! Thanks for your feedback; we hope you will come back and see our fresh carpets!

Please let me know personally if you need anything further. Thank you for the feedback. We hope to see you again!

Amy Teske- Assistant Director of Rooms, Holiday Inn West
269-375-6000
toledo, OH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

We stayed here because of a tournament. The first night the bed linens were dirty and had not been changed from the previous guest. The sheets had hair in them and were wrinkled where someone slept on them. The next morning our breakfast was late which in turn meant that the boys didn't eat because we had to leave for their game. That afternoon my room had still not been given new towels, I requested service again & the manager assured me that it would be done within the hour. Four hours later I still had dirty towels. At 10:30 the teenagers were told it was quiet time and had to go to rooms which they did. At 11:15 younger children still running around yelling & definitely not in their rooms. The hotel was not hospitable and were not prepared to work with the many tournament teams that were there that weekend.

Room Tip: The king size w/pull out sofa was comfortable
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank andypOH
BHoskins1204, Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your business. On behalf of the entire staff here at the Holiday Inn West, please accept our sincere apologies about your experience.
We appreciate your patronage and hope that you will stay with us again and if so, please call on a member of our management team as they would be glad to provide you with any assistance possible to ensure that your stay will be most enjoyable and without incident.

Brenda Hoskins