“One Night in Kalamazoo, MI” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West

Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
“One Night in Kalamazoo, MI”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We would like to say this was a very nice hotel but from several of the other reviews we were very hesitant to make reservations. The hotel is very nice and the room was very clean and large. The bathroom was excellent! New facilities...the toilet is one of the "cruise line flushes." It has lots of activities for a family, though it was just the two of us for this night. Hope this review will help others in deciding if they want to stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Frankfort, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Upon checking in, I handed the desk my Holiday Inn rewards card and was surprised to receive two cards for a free buffet breakfast for the two mornings of our stay. Since there is no continental breakfast at this hotel, it was a nice to have.

Our stay here was for a baseball tournament. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The guys on the teams enjoyed staying here because of the game room and the pool.

The staff was friendly. Other guests were having issues with pets on their floor. It sounded like someone left their dogs in their room for a while and the dogs were quite loud. The hotel was nice and gave the guests reporting the issue a credit of one night's stay for their inconvenience.

I would suggest requesting a room not on the floor were pets are allowed if you want peace and quiet. Also, there are some rooms that face the pool and game room area, this may be another area to avoid if noise bothers you.

This hotel seems more family geared and is a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the floor that allows rooms with pets in them and pool and game room area if you want a good n...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Miamisburg, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed for a lacrosse tournament. The hotel was great about getting our team in the same area and helped with every request we had. The restaurant staff allowed us to purchase a gallon of milk and a pitcher of OJ for our team breakfast. The only damper on the trip was the security guard hounding our boys. He wouldn't let them walk between rooms after 10:00pm. The boys were being respectful and weren't running, but he was a bit overzealous in the prosecution of his duties. There wasn't a continental breakfast and the buffet was $10 for a continental breakfast. A bit pricey, but it was okay. We'd stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Lansing, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed here for one night for business the next day. I specifically asked for a room that did not face the highway, but the room faced the highway; fine I'll face the highway, and I was tired and decided one night, don't worry about it.. The room was really stuffy, so I turned on the fan to try and get some air moving and fell asleep. It moved air, especially what ever dust or mold was in there, because that is what I'm allergic to and I reacted, strongly.
I woke up in the middle of the night completely plugged up, having respiratory issues. I got out my meds and started them but I was up for a little while. I turned off the fan and sat in the chair, that's when I started noticing how dirty the room really was. The carpet was bad; there was a substance on the dust ruffle, that I don't want to know what that was.
After a while I laid back down on the bed and could feel something, maybe it was a spring?
By the morning, I was a mess, I took a hot shower to help clear my head, but the damage was done. I started a full blown sinus infection that dropped into my chest and was sick for 4 more days.
Not coming back, I don't care how convenient it is. Maybe it was just the room?, others seem to having no problems. If that's the case, avoid room 404.

Room Tip: They have breakfast in the morning, whether it is free or not?, don't know. It's not advert...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JRHLansing_MI
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear JRHLansing_MI,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. I am truly sorry for the unusual condition of the room you received during your stay. I have taken note of your valuable comments. Please be assured that this will be looked into.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

I travel for work and spend a few nights a week in hotels and this is one of my favorites. Every staff member I have encountered on every visit has been among the nicest, most helpful, and friendly I have ever come across in a hotel. The restaurant, Old Burdick's, is excellent and open until 11pm. This is a holidome and has a pool, hot tub, game room, ping pong, pool, etc. Even when I'm working it makes me happy to look out my window and see it all. This would be a great hotel for families with kids of any age.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amber A, Front Desk Public Relations at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
We are so glad that you were able to enjoy your stay with us here at the Holiday Inn! The Holidome with all of it's fun activities is definitely one of our favorite assets!

We are glad that the open hours of our Burdick's restaurant were able to accommodate your schedule so that you could enjoy a meal with us during your stay! We hope that you will come back and visit us again soon, we would be happy to put you in your favorite 'room with a view'!

-Amber and the Holiday Inn West Staff
Oakland, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

By word of mouth and then by colleagues this became the place to go. I was skeptical becuse I had thought this was a step down from Hampton. I got an exec room with a fridge for the company rate and enrolled in the Priority Club. I found it had real perks like $10 off cards for the reasonably good Burdick's restaurant and bar inside. The big perk was the hospitality nights on first Tueday & Thursday then it when from Mon-Thur 6PM - 730 where we had a wide choice of very good beers like Bells, Shock top, Harp, and other interesting brews plus usally pretty good appetisers like wings or ribs or chicken. The staff took the time to get to know the patrons and we felt remembered and genuinely welcome when we came back. Tom, Vanessa, Justin, Kasey, and the restaurant staff treated my crew like family and friends. When I had issues with things like the toilet or shower in a couple of the rooms ( I was in about 8 because of my visits) they got fixed that day and the repair guy left me a note with his name to make sure that he didn't miss anything. The bed is comfortable and electrical plugs are handy. If I hated anything it was the annoying menu for the tv since I couldn't just leave it on say CNN and turn it on in the AM when I was getting ready for work.

Room Tip: The NON poolside rooms are much quieter, less humid and a little cooler.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Davison, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

This hotel was awesome and the front desk staff Lasand and Kenda were incredible! They went above and beyond customer service ....something we have never ever experienced at any hotel establishment. These ladies made you feel like you were family. The overall condtion was a great experience the rooms were very clean, the pool area was relaxing and well kept. The restaurant had great food and wonderful service. This is the best overall hotel we have ever experienced and the staff here should be very proud in their representation with such professionalism and warmth.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amber A, Front Desk Public Relations at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Hello!

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us! It is wonderful that you were able to make a connection with Lasand and Kenda, and that your stay was fun and relaxing. We are glad that you were able to enjoy the pool facilities and some delicious food at Burdick's.

We hope that you will stay with us again in the future!

Amber and the Holiday Inn West Team