“Nice, clean, no complaints”

Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a Saturday night following a wedding nearby. The room was clean and spacious. We had an easy check in and out. Had no complaints with our stay. Have stayed in other Holiday Inns with an attached restaurant and received a small discount when dining but did not here. That is my only minor complaint.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 September 2013

If you reserve a room in advance and can't make it, Holiday Inn keeps your money. But just because you reserve and pay for a room in advance, doesn't mean you will GET the room you reserved, and they STILL keep your money. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Kalamazoo West, paid for the room weeks in advance, and the type of room we reserved wasn't available (it was indicated to us that it was available when we reserved it but seems that after we paid for it, they gave it to somebody else), no refund, we get what they give us regardless of what we paid for (and the front desk clerk was very rude and haughty to us when she explained their policy). And for extra fun, when I reserved my room on line, within hours, somebody in the U.K. went on a spending spree with my credit card. I have had this happen two times before this occurrance, but it was when this third time that it happened, it finally clicked and I saw a connection. Each of the three times I've had issues with credit card fraud, it was immediately following making a reservation at an IHG hotel (International Hotel Group, of which Holiday Inn is a part of), two of which were Holiday Inns, that somebody went on a spending spree in the United Kingdom with my credit card. My hotels were in the U.S., but the fraud was in the U.K. Incidentally, IHG is based in the U.K., imagine that. Both Holiday Inn and IHG were notified of the credit card fraud following my reservations with them and they have done NOTHING. Fortunately my bank noticed the unsual overseas spending and put a stop to it before too much was spent. Also, fortunately, my bank (not IHG or Holiday Inn) refunded the money that was stolen from me. Though had to have my card cancelled and replaced each time. To this day, neither IHG or Holiday Inn have refunded my bank or accepted any kind of responsibility for the repeated fraud at their hands. This is NOT a company that is concerned about their customers - as long as they get THEIR money, that is all they are concerned about. I've learned my lesson - Holiday Inn will NEVER get my money again. It's LaQuinta for me from now on - never had any problems with cancellations, service or quality with LaQuinta. The rooms are nicer, the service is friendlier, and I've never had an issue with credit card fraud when reserving with them.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank ZannieW
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear ZannieW,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Kalamazoo West, MI. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Casey & the staff went above and beyond to make my birthday celebration so special. The staff had a surprise birthday party for me and passed around & signed a birthday card. There was birthday cake and ice cream to share with everyone at the customer appreciation party. I stay here several days every week and am a Priority Club customer. Casey, the staff at the front desk, in the restaurant, and housekeeping staff are so thoughtful and have provided superior customer service for me and make me feel like a King. My birthday party was the icing on the cake and made me feel very special. Their thoughtfulness brought tears to my eyes. I highly recommend staying at this Holiday Inn location! Sincerely, CS

Room Tip: Room 443 is my favorite room, very roomy, quiet, and is always reserved for me every week.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Amber A, Front Desk/Concierge staff at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Hello!

We are so thrilled that our staff was really able to 'WOW" you for your birthday! It is wonderful to hear that we have provided such good and reliable service to one of our most loyal regular guests. We hope that we will have future opportunities to celebrate your birthday here with us in Kalamazoo!

-Amber and the Holiday Inn Team

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Choose the hotel, via on-line, because it had a pool and activity area for the kids. Easy parking and easy access to the rooms via elevators. Room was orderly. The remote was a bit gross. Hotels may wish to make cleaning the remote part of the cleaning procedure. Room was quiet because we chose one that wasn't on the highway side of the hotel or off of the activity area. Activity area was great for keeping the kids entertained. The resident restaurant had awesome service. Our waiter was amazingly efficient. Food was just OK.

Would recommend for a family.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the highway side or off of the activity area if you want peace and qui...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 3 September 2013

Hello!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us feedback about your stay! We are definitely proud of our Hollidome pool area, and are thrilled that your children were able to enjoy one of our greatest features.

We are very sorry about the difficulties with your remote, and we will make sure that we pay closer attention to keeping them clean in the future.

It's great to hear that you experienced such wonderful service at our Burdick's restaurant, and we hope you will come back and visit us again in the future!

-Amber and the front desk team

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I was in Kalamazoo recently for the wedding of a friend. They had not blocked off rooms, so deciding to stay here was MY choice. The turn-in to the road leading to the hotel could be better marked. The front desk staff was courteous and provided me with a bag of snacks for being a premium club member.
The room was on the 4 floor. It was described as a room that overlooks the pool, but this isn't entirely accurate. I'm 5'8" and when I looked out the window I could see part of the building and roof. If I stooped a bit I could see the deck adjacent to the pool. Probably still better than overlooking the parking lot and freeway.
The room was spacious and the king-size bed was firm and comfortable. There were some minor staining on the edge of the fitted sheet, but the sleeping surface was clean. There was a comfortable couch that can fold out to a double bed. A good TV with a decent selection of channels. There was an iron and ironing board in the closet, a microwave and small fridge. There was a soda machine and ice machine down the hall.
The bathroom was clean and spacious, but there were some stains on the hand towels. The bath towels and washcloths were clean. The toilet was malfunctioning and I called the front desk for assistance. after being on hold for over 5 minutes they said they'd get someone from engineering up to check it out. Prior to engineering showing up it started to work and continued to work for the duration of my stay.
After the wedding I returned around midnight and all was quiet. No noise complaints and was able to sleep through the night. Checkout was uneventful. I had breakfast plans so I didn't get a chance to sample their food or room service. All in all I would probably look for somewhere else to stay, but wouldn't have a problem if I had to go back here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 3 September 2013

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave leave such comprehensive feedback about your stay with us. We are glad that you were able to enjoy a quiet and relaxing stay with us. We will be sure to pass your feedback about the towels and sheets on to our housekeeping staff.

We are sorry you were unable to sample the food at our Burdick's restaurant, we hope you will come back and stay with us sometime in the future so you can try it out!

-Amber and the front desk team

Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Dan was one of the best servers I've ever had the privilege to watch. I open restaurants and train teams (mgr and staff) for a living. I would kill to film this guy for our classes. Great experience! Thanks again Dan!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We would like to say this was a very nice hotel but from several of the other reviews we were very hesitant to make reservations. The hotel is very nice and the room was very clean and large. The bathroom was excellent! New facilities...the toilet is one of the "cruise line flushes." It has lots of activities for a family, though it was just the two of us for this night. Hope this review will help others in deciding if they want to stay there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends