“Very old hotel, needs updating”

Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed here for a few days for business. I have to say, that I was not impressed by any means. This hotel is quite old and they need to bring it up to their competitors standards. The workout room is a joke! Two antiquated treadmills with the video monitors removed, the one elliptical machine was broken, and there are no anti bacterial wipes. There is a roll of paper towels, but what are you supposed to do with those? I didn't use the pool, but it looked as though the water was gray! You cold barely see the bottom! Gross!
The bathroom is tiny and the hallways are noisy! Internet connection was poor at best, kept losing the connection while trying to do a report.
Ordered a medium rare prime rib from the restaurant, and it was brought to me well done. They said that they didn't have any rare or medium rare cuts.
In all my years of traveling, I have to say that this was one of the worst.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 1Business_Travel1
Justin W, Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

1Business_Travel1
We thank you first for staying with us, and we also apologize for the missed opportunities that took place during your stay. We value our guests and your feedback,and we look forward to hearing about more ways on how we can improve our overall hotel services and guest satisfaction.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

It was my first time in Kalamazoo. The reservation was for one night and upon arrival there were a few miscommunications from the booking agent to the property manager regarding the reservation and arrival time - With that said, Tara & Patty IMMEDIATELY corrected the problem and got me into a room, handled the billing, and solved the problem without hassle. Problems happen, how you tackle them determines the quality of your service - Tara & Patty were 1st Class! The room and restaurant were very clean, nice, friendly atmosphere with good food. Thank you Kzoo!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Tim R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Scott - Thank you so much for the review! I'm thrilled to see that you enjoyed your experience with us and that Patty & Tara were able to be a big part of this. It's important to our organization that we have a great team delivering a memorable stay for our guests and that's exactly what too place.

Thank you!

TIM

Reviewed 18 October 2013

The customer service was spectacular. I had trouble logging on to the internet and they patched me through to their support team and it was taken care of right away. The onsite pub was excellent and the workout facilities good. A perfect spot to stay for business.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed here on a weekend to visit my son and his family. Hotel is clean and front desk staff friendly. Rooms are clean, large and spacious. Pool is great, not to cold, not to warm, and plenty of towels for everyone. Pool was close on Sunday for scheduled maintenance. Wish they would of told me at check in, as on Sunday afternoon, got the grandkids in their suits, headed down to the pool only to find a close sign. Can't explain that to a 5 year old.
They have guests who have pool parties on most weekends. I did not mind that, but allowing the kids to run and play in hallways at 10 at night? I had to call the desk, and her first response was that quiet time was at 1030. It was 1015 when I called, I questioned if it was ok for kids to be play in hallways, she then said she would send someone up, which happened as shortly after I called, it became quiet.
Overall a nice stay. If you don't want to be surrounded by kids, don't stay here.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, do not stay in a poolside room, and ask if you can have a room away from kids.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I'm a frequent business traveler, and really appreciated the terrific customer service Justin at the Holiday Inn West in Kalamazoo provided for me. He suggested I become a Priority Club member, and efficiently signed me up. Now when I travel to Kalamazoo, I will always stay at the Holiday Inn West!
SandyF

Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a Saturday night following a wedding nearby. The room was clean and spacious. We had an easy check in and out. Had no complaints with our stay. Have stayed in other Holiday Inns with an attached restaurant and received a small discount when dining but did not here. That is my only minor complaint.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2013

If you reserve a room in advance and can't make it, Holiday Inn keeps your money. But just because you reserve and pay for a room in advance, doesn't mean you will GET the room you reserved, and they STILL keep your money. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Kalamazoo West, paid for the room weeks in advance, and the type of room we reserved wasn't available (it was indicated to us that it was available when we reserved it but seems that after we paid for it, they gave it to somebody else), no refund, we get what they give us regardless of what we paid for (and the front desk clerk was very rude and haughty to us when she explained their policy). And for extra fun, when I reserved my room on line, within hours, somebody in the U.K. went on a spending spree with my credit card. I have had this happen two times before this occurrance, but it was when this third time that it happened, it finally clicked and I saw a connection. Each of the three times I've had issues with credit card fraud, it was immediately following making a reservation at an IHG hotel (International Hotel Group, of which Holiday Inn is a part of), two of which were Holiday Inns, that somebody went on a spending spree in the United Kingdom with my credit card. My hotels were in the U.S., but the fraud was in the U.K. Incidentally, IHG is based in the U.K., imagine that. Both Holiday Inn and IHG were notified of the credit card fraud following my reservations with them and they have done NOTHING. Fortunately my bank noticed the unsual overseas spending and put a stop to it before too much was spent. Also, fortunately, my bank (not IHG or Holiday Inn) refunded the money that was stolen from me. Though had to have my card cancelled and replaced each time. To this day, neither IHG or Holiday Inn have refunded my bank or accepted any kind of responsibility for the repeated fraud at their hands. This is NOT a company that is concerned about their customers - as long as they get THEIR money, that is all they are concerned about. I've learned my lesson - Holiday Inn will NEVER get my money again. It's LaQuinta for me from now on - never had any problems with cancellations, service or quality with LaQuinta. The rooms are nicer, the service is friendlier, and I've never had an issue with credit card fraud when reserving with them.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank ZannieW
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear ZannieW,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Kalamazoo West, MI. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M