“I'd pass this one up”

Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Downers Grove, Illinois
“I'd pass this one up”
Reviewed 29 March 2011

My daughter and I were visiting WMU. She has a service dog that was traveling with us. So that was the first hurdle as the signage in the hotel is not ADA compiant and I had to educate the manager on what a Service Dog is and the law. The room we stayed in had a broken towel bar, the dust ruffle on one of the beds was ripped and the carpet was dirty. The beds were firmer than firm. The walls were so thin I could hear someone in the room next to ours snoring. And the exhaust fan in the bathroom had at least a 5 min. delay before it would turn off.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New Jersey
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Very basic hotel. Clean, but hard bed. Staff is very friendly.

• Stayed September 2010
Burtonsville, Maryland
Reviewed 17 November 2009

I enjoyed my brief stay at the Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West. The Hotel was very clean and well taken care of. Parking was free!!! The bathrooms were also very clean and they have white linens which were also very clean and smelt fresh. There was not much going on since it was in the middle of nowhere but I liked that because I was able to enjoy a peaceful and quiet stay. There are no restaurants around there so if you like restaurants near where you stay, this hotel may not be ideal. However, if you like tranquility and a rural setting, this is it! The staff were very professional and polite...They agreed to give me an early check-in without paying extra. I only stayed there for one night and had to leave very early in the morning, so I did not have time to sample the breakfast but they do offer it for free. The only thing missing was a microwave and a mini refridgerator, which comes in handy when you are staying longer than a night. Overall, I enjoyed my stay!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Villa Park
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Nice place - very clean, quiet, rooms recently redecorated and plush, 24-hour indoor swimming pool and courteous staff. The only problem (and it is a big one in my opinion) is that the beds were EXTREMELY firm. We're talking "sleeping on a piece of plywood covered by a thick blanket" firm - my wife, 16 y/o daughter and myself all felt this way. I complained to the front desk person as we checked out after our one night stay. She said that they have some kind of mattress pads to put under the bottom sheet if we would have called the desk - not sure if it would have made all that much difference. I asked if the mattresses in all the rooms were the same and she said that they were (extra firm, I think she said). She was kind enough to give us a voucher (good for nearly five months) for $25 off a future (two-night minimum) stay at any Fairfield Inn or Fairfield Inn & Suites. Hopefully they didn't buy the same mattresses for ALL of their properties!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Kalamazoo hotels

Southeast
Reviewed 9 May 2009

I spent a week at this hotel. The room I had was large and very clean.

My room faced the onramp to the interstate, so I heard a little bit of traffic noise, but not bad enough to disturb me. I'm sure a room on the front of the building would have been quieter, had it been a problem.

The staff was very nice.

As you can tell by the address, there's a Cracker Barrell restaurant right beside this hotel, with other fast food on the other side of the expressway.

I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Right near Kalamazoo Valley Community College, where I had to give seminars. Clean room, extremely friendly service, good breakfast, free computer connected to Internet in lobby. Heating/cooling fan on/off every two or three minutes -- I would have slept better if it didn't cycle so frequently. Only a thin white curtain between the bed and the bright front lights outside (the dark heavy drapery will not pull all across the window). Very good value for price.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Cornwall On Hudson, New York
Reviewed 27 October 2008

Dependable clean comfortable Fairfield. Right next door to Cracker Barrel and just off I-94. We would definitely stay there again if in the area.

Stayed October 2008