“Okay...”

Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
OSKALOOSA
“Okay...”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Overnight stay while traveling was okay. Nothing special. Nothing bad. Room a bit tight BUT appreciated the large stuffed chair, refrigerator, etc. room numbering system a little different. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Hotel is closeby to the freeway, fast food and restaurants. Clean and renovated. Good selection of hot and cold foods for breakfast. Staff was helpful and friendly. Good value. Internet was fast and there is a computer in the lobby to use if you need to print. Coupons for pizza and delivery places. I walked over to the Cracker Barrel next door but not far from other restaurants.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank peacepax
Chattanooga, TN
Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

This appears to be a very new hotel. If it's not it sure has been kept up very well. From the moment you walk into the lobby there is a bit of "wow" - this is a Fairfield? The decor is a in tans, blues, and browns - very soothing after being on the road. The front desk was very helpful and efficient.

The rooms are nicely appointed - mine was 2 queens - with a nice flat screen TV, dresser, and workspace. There is a small chair with a light in the corner by one of the beds. Nice - you didn't have to sit on the bed to watch TV.

The vanity is separate from the bathroom area which is convenient if two are trying to get ready at the same time. There is shampoo, conditioner, and lotion for your use. They even provide a makeup remover for the ladies.

And when you do turn in, be prepared to zonk out immediately. The beds are unbelievably comfortable.

This is truly a nice hotel. The only reason I couldn't give it a "5" all the way down is because of the truck noise on I-94. Not the hotel's fault but would have been nice if they had built this a bit further off the interstate.

I can't rate the free breakfast - I had a very early flight and the breakfast area wasn't open before I left.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank sloopie1
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times prior to this, and my other experiences have been adequate. However, after my last visit I will go elsewhere next time I'm in the area.

Check-in was easy and efficient and the employees I dealt with were friendly and helpful. The hotel has recently been renovated and has a typical Fairfield Inn feel and look. That's where the positives end.

Upon my return to the hotel in the evening from working 7 hours I was greeted with a large group of adults sitting on the lounge / breakfast area, mini coolers loaded with beer and snacks. Not a problem with me, but it didn't look good to other guests. As I turned into the hall toward the elevator there was another group, about six or so, drinking and partying.

When I got to my second floor room (about 9:00 pm), I immediately had to deal with very loud noise directly above mine, as well as in he hall outside my room. Above me were obviously several children (and possibly adults - my feeling is the adults were involved with the partiers elsewhere in the hotel). Between the loud voices and constant stomping / running back and forth, I started to develop a headache. At about 10:30 I had had enough and went to the front desk to see if I could be moved to a quieter location. At the desk was a sign stating they were helping another customer and would be back soon. Not wanting to wait - or call the cell phone number given - I returned to my room to the same noise. It did, however, end at about 11:00 pm, again starting about 6:30 the next morning. Because of such a large number of people in the area in the morning I didn't want to discuss this with the desk clerk, choosing to contact the management at a later date.

I travel often, and sleeping in a hotel room is rarely a relaxing experience. This was the worst I've ever had in a hotel. Having had conversations with others who have stayed here, this seems to be a consistent theme. Often large groups stay here with their kids, commonly leaving the kids to have fun while the parents are elsewhere in the hotel. There are other options and I recommend pursuing those.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, request a top floor room at the end for a potentially more quiet experience.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank topfan
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

Hotel is showing its wear. Check-in was painless, and the front desk clerk was friendly. The lobby was your traditional, nothing fancy Fairfield lobby. The hallways appeared worn, and the elevator did as well.
The room was a double bed room, and again, straightforward with no bells and whistles. My problems began when I tried changing the channel on the t.v. Someone had placed a "parental lock" on the t.v., which only allowed me to view one channel. When I walked into the room, the room was freezing. I adjusted the thermostat and called the front desk. The clerk showed up about ten minutes later and couldn't fix the t.v. He also tried the thermostat and that didn't warm the room any. The room was still freezing!
Keep in mind that it was 1am at this point. First, he offered to discount the room for me. When I advised him that this wouldn't work, he offered to change my room. I appreciated the gesture, but did not feel like switching at 1am. I requested reward points instead and he obliged. Long story short, the heater not working was the real downer of the night. I can't really complain about anything else, and when the GM was contacted, she did accommodate my request(albeit a week late after contacting her and the main Marriott website).
If possible, try a nicer hotel. This one has seen its better days.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 October 2012

very average.... nothing really stand out on the positive or negative side of the ledger.

A decent place for a overnight stay. The breakfast is pathetic... but there is a cracker barrel restaurant virtually in the parking lot.

Rooms are clean. Lobby is seemingly under construction or remodeling or something. Front desk personnel are nice and try to be helpful... but they are really not engaged in their efforts to make this an exceptional place to stay. They do their job... nicely... but thats about as far as it goes. not bad... just "average"

Best aspect... location is easy on and off the freeway and easy access to the kalamazoo area. Frankly; if I go to this area again I will try a different place... just because there is nothing there to make it worth going back too.... then again I would not be afraid to stay there again... just knowing all you are getting is a clean room, and good location....

Room Tip: If you stay... skip their breakfast and go to the cracker barrel restaurant in the parking lot.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Randy R
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I expected more from the Fairfield/Marriott chain. This one is disappointing. We stayed here for an overnight on our way elsewhere. Checkin was quick and the front desk staff person was courteous. I was told that they had recently had an act of vandalism in the hotel which resulted in half of their rooms being flooded out and rendered unusable. They were still in the act of cleanup. Because of this, the hotel wasn't up to it's usual standards. There was plastic hanging in the hallway and fans blowing. As this was an act outside the scope of their control, I don't hold this against them. I was also told that their rooms were newly renovated. The smell of newness was evident in the place

The beds that we collapsed into were very comfortable and we slept well despite being able to hear the person in the adjoining room snore quite loudly.

In the morning, I was dismayed to observe some cleanliness issues despite a renovation that was completed mere weeks ago. I'm thinking the renovation in the rooms entailed new carpeting, paint, and other decor issues. There was something brown smeared on the control cover of the HVAC unit in the room. In the bathroom, the flush handle was not attached to the toilet tank and was just hanging there, and there was black fuzzy mold growing in the corner of the bathtub. YUCK! Maintenance and housekeeping apparently aren't high on the renovation list. These things are unacceptable and show a lack of attention to detail.

They do have a breakfast which we did not avail ourselves of and a swimming pool which was also closed due to the flooding.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple