“Great Front Desk Customer Service - Geri!!”

Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 23 June 2014

It was really great to walk into the Fairfield Inn & get such great service at the Front Desk.
Geri was genuinely friendly & helpful. Check-in was quick & she explained breakfast hours & other amenities.

My only disappointment - my room smelled like it had been occupied by a smoker. I wish
that hotels would start posting a charge for guests who don't respect hotel rules - and charge
them when they check-out.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Checked in here for 3 days, and was immediately greeted by Gerri (sp?) at the Front Desk. Very hospitable, friendly, and seemed genuinely eager to ensure we had everything we need to enjoy our stay. Our room was adequate, though there were a few problems---the remote control to the TV did not work; the towel rack in the bathroom cam crashing down when my wife removed the towel for her shower; the shower itself had a fair amount of mildew on the tiles, and the corner of the tub; air conditioner had trouble keeping the room cool. Maid service was really odd on one day---our beds were made when we returned to the room, but it looked like a 3 year old made the beds---comforters were not smoothed, pillows were just tossed on the bed and floor---pretty weird actually. The room was quiet, and we had no issues sleeping.

The daily breakfast buffet was fine food wise, but they really need to keep sufficient staff to ensure the food serving areas are clean, and stocked. After a number of guests had eaten, the area really was a mess, and they were out of several food items.

Kalamazoo is a smallish town, and the hotel is accessible to downtown, the Portage mall--all withing 15 minutes.

Overall, the place was fine, but I will probably look elsewhere the next time we return to Kalamazoo.

1  Thank HappyTraveler43
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I have been staying here for the past month and they treat you great. The hotel is constantly being cleaned. The morning breakfast buffet is a great fast way to start your day and it's free with your stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants great service and a very clean motel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here for a quick jaunt to Kalamazoo for an open house. It is conveniently located just off I-94 on the first exit west of US-131. It's close to the Westnedge exit off I-94, which has every store and restaurant know to man at it, so very conveniently located.

The property itself is very typical of the Fairfield brand. Lobby and rooms are well appointed and look updated, and the property was very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful - we needed a safety pin for a wardrobe issue, and they were happy to find one for us.

We were happy with the size of our room, plenty of space for 2 adults and a preschooler to move around in. The bed was very comfortable, and we loved that the TV had a "guide" to help us select something to watch - no flailing around channels looking for something appropriate for a 3 year old. The selection of channels was also extensive.

The breakfast was decent, though by the time we got there at 9:15, it was looking pretty picked over. In the hotel's defense, it appeared that the hotel may have been VERY full the night we were there (lots going on that weekend in Kalamazoo), but I think they were definitely having trouble keeping up with demand. There was still some selection, but not the best free hotel breakfast selection I've ever seen.

Room Tip: If possible, try to get rooms out away from the center of the hotel - we could hear a fair bit of th...
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I booked a stay at this hotel during a return trip to the west that originated in the Province of Nova Scotia. The reason for staying in Kalamazoo was simply for logistical reasons, but the choice of the Fairfield Inn in Kalamazoo was based on reviews I read on trip advisor. I encountered no issues during my stay, and although I was worried about being put in a room in very close proxomity to the elevator, it did not turn out to be a problem. Sure, you could sometimes hear the hum of the elevator, and the odd noisy guest, but I must admit that I did not wake up during the night becasue of these things. The bed was very comfortable and I had a good sleep. The only complaint - which I reported to the front desk upon checkout - was that the office chair in the room could not have its height adjusted (I believe the gas cyclinder was broken). Hopefully they will replace it quickly.

The only other thing I experienced at this location was the free breakfast in the morning. It was not too bad, and they did have some hot foods (eggs and sausauge patties) in addition to cereal and other items. If you are travelling to or through Kalamazoo, Michigan and need a place to stay, this property would not be a bad choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bryan023
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Staying over on business trip. Everyone was extremely courteous and helpful. The staff managed to get us some rooms even with last minute preparations. The rooms are fantastic. I would come back again. If you are ever in the Kalamazoo area, I would recommend this place highly.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The remodeling looks great and everything was very clean and well kept. The service was stellar and we were very pleasantly surprised by the free breakfast. They actually had hot foods like eggs and sausage as well as the normal continental breakfast fare.

Only slight issue was that our bathroom sink was draining very slowly but we didn't bother to call to get it fixed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family