“Geri is terrific on the front desk!”

Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We found this motel to be bright and clean and pleasant. Geri was extremely helpful and glad to direct us to whatever we were interested in -- food, attractions. (Including printed directions.) She is efficient and absolutely makes this a great overnight destination!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I generally do not write reviews however my stay at the Fairfield Inn West had some challenges. First of all, the room was decorated nice however there were horrible stains all over the couch, the toilet was clogged upon arrival and the room was worn down. In addition, I was on the third floor at the end of the hall and there were horrible mechanical grinding noises that would just start and stop unexpectedly. I try when traveling to stay with Marriott Properties, however I am going to avoid the Fairfield Inn properties as this is the second one that I would rate at not meeting expectations.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lola533
Whitley S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear lola533,

I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced while staying here at the Fairfield Inn West. We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional service and exceeding our guest's expectations. I appreciate your detailed review and have shared your comments with our staff. We hope that someday you might try us out again to see how we have improved. Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey for our hotel.

Whitley Schaub
Fairfield Inn West Kalamazoo

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We had a great stay over the weekend. Geri, who was provided our customer device at the front desk went 100 times above and beyond what was required of her. Her hospitality and professionalism is the Number One reason I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 23 June 2014

It was really great to walk into the Fairfield Inn & get such great service at the Front Desk.
Geri was genuinely friendly & helpful. Check-in was quick & she explained breakfast hours & other amenities.

My only disappointment - my room smelled like it had been occupied by a smoker. I wish
that hotels would start posting a charge for guests who don't respect hotel rules - and charge
them when they check-out.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Checked in here for 3 days, and was immediately greeted by Gerri (sp?) at the Front Desk. Very hospitable, friendly, and seemed genuinely eager to ensure we had everything we need to enjoy our stay. Our room was adequate, though there were a few problems---the remote control to the TV did not work; the towel rack in the bathroom cam crashing down when my wife removed the towel for her shower; the shower itself had a fair amount of mildew on the tiles, and the corner of the tub; air conditioner had trouble keeping the room cool. Maid service was really odd on one day---our beds were made when we returned to the room, but it looked like a 3 year old made the beds---comforters were not smoothed, pillows were just tossed on the bed and floor---pretty weird actually. The room was quiet, and we had no issues sleeping.

The daily breakfast buffet was fine food wise, but they really need to keep sufficient staff to ensure the food serving areas are clean, and stocked. After a number of guests had eaten, the area really was a mess, and they were out of several food items.

Kalamazoo is a smallish town, and the hotel is accessible to downtown, the Portage mall--all withing 15 minutes.

Overall, the place was fine, but I will probably look elsewhere the next time we return to Kalamazoo.

1  Thank HappyTraveler43
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I have been staying here for the past month and they treat you great. The hotel is constantly being cleaned. The morning breakfast buffet is a great fast way to start your day and it's free with your stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants great service and a very clean motel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here for a quick jaunt to Kalamazoo for an open house. It is conveniently located just off I-94 on the first exit west of US-131. It's close to the Westnedge exit off I-94, which has every store and restaurant know to man at it, so very conveniently located.

The property itself is very typical of the Fairfield brand. Lobby and rooms are well appointed and look updated, and the property was very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful - we needed a safety pin for a wardrobe issue, and they were happy to find one for us.

We were happy with the size of our room, plenty of space for 2 adults and a preschooler to move around in. The bed was very comfortable, and we loved that the TV had a "guide" to help us select something to watch - no flailing around channels looking for something appropriate for a 3 year old. The selection of channels was also extensive.

The breakfast was decent, though by the time we got there at 9:15, it was looking pretty picked over. In the hotel's defense, it appeared that the hotel may have been VERY full the night we were there (lots going on that weekend in Kalamazoo), but I think they were definitely having trouble keeping up with demand. There was still some selection, but not the best free hotel breakfast selection I've ever seen.

Room Tip: If possible, try to get rooms out away from the center of the hotel - we could hear a fair bit of th...