“Clean, comfortable, friendly.”

Baymont Inn & Suites Kalamazoo East
Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We recently stayed for 2 nights at this hotel. I was a bit nervous having read the reviews. The hotel was very clean, the staff friendly, and overall we had a great stay.

Breakfast was hot -- waffles, biscuits and gravy, eggs, microwave breakfast sandwiches, etc. My one complaint about breakfast would be that the coffee was weak - but if that's the worst I can say - really it was great! We were even surprised upon check-in that there was a free dinner of chinese food that evening for everyone.

After reading the reviews we did request 3rd floor and away from the highway ... we had no issues with noise at all. We slept well in the beds. Yes - the bathroom was VERY small -- but really -- who needs a huge bathroom at a hotel? It was big enough to meet our needs with 2 adults and 2 teens. We had no mold or other cleanliness issues in our room.

This was a great place for us to stay and we would stay there again - especially given the price for the area and the quality of the breakfast.

Room Tip: 3rd floor away from the highway -- 3rd floor is more hotel than motel - interior access to the rooms...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathie H

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Though a perfunctory attempt has been made to add newer furniture, this place is dreadful. It's an old-school motel with tiny rooms with exterior entrance doors. Our room was moldy, musty and damp. Many of the fixtures in the room are old. The bathroom, which reminded me of gas station bathroom, was dark and barely big enough to use. The bed was hard as a rock with sandpaper linens. I barely slept a wink thanks to all the noise in the parking lot.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2012

This is an older hotel that is dated and I was surprised the Marriott name was attached to it. Not an all the quailty I expected when booking. The bathroom literally had mold in it and scratches all over. As well, I felt unsafe due to the exterior extrance doors although I managed to get a room on the third floor which were interior entrance via elevator. Hallways dirty and cheap looking-feeling. Overall not a business traveler hotel. Had it not been too late to cancel once I arrived I would have perfered to move to another hotel - anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This is one of the older Fairfield Inns - with access to the rooms on the lower 2 stories. The upper (3rd) story appears to have been added on at a later date. I stayed on the 3rd floor. There is an elevator which is nice .The room itself was nice and clean and adequate in size. The bathroom - a whole different story. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel with such a very tiny bathroom. The bathroom floor tiles were 6 x6 in size and there were 4 (24") between the tub and the doorway. If you had gotten out of the tub to dry off, you couldn't open the door without entering the tub again. The vanity was in the "room" and was only 18" wide - with absolutely no space to put any of your essentials. They had even placed a shelf at the corner of the vanity to hold the ice bucket.

This hotel is located right adjacent to I-94 and my room was on the side facing the interstate. The truck noise all night long was unbelievable. I am not a light sleeper by any means but you cannot imagine the noise. Even though the outside temps were in the upper 30's, I had to turn on the fan in the room to try to block out some of the noise.

The room was comfortable as was the bed. The TV was one of those Phillips brands with the delay in the off/on - channel selection. I find these TV's to be quite annoying but they seem to be the norm now in most of the hotels. You never know whether or not you've got bad batteries in the remote or if you've actually turned the tv on/off too many times and the delay hasn't caught up with you.

The desk clerk was very nice and polite and this is a close location to the airport. As I had a very early flight out of Kalamazoo, I can't really rate the breakfast. The lobby appeared to be very nice and clean.

Would I stay here again.....probably not but only because of the interstate noise. I don't know how bad it would be if you were on the opposite side of the interstate - it could be just fine. I have stayed at the adjacent Holiday Inn Express and didn't seem to notice the noise nearly as bad.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, I would suggest the 3rd floor (for safety - don't like the older...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Looks like one of the original Fairfield Motels with the outside doors on the lower floors and the third floor enclosed with interior doors but still somewhat accessible with keycard from the outdoor stairs. The employees are great and it has one of the better breakfasts and includes dinner three times per week as well from local restaurants. For the corporate price I paid, it was a really good value for the buck.

Room Tip: Ask for the enclosed third floor and an even number room since it will put you on the opposite side...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2012

This hotel is right off I94 just south of Downtown Kalamazoo. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express (adjacent to the Fairfield), but at 2:30am they only had a couple overpriced suites available so we decided to try this hotel.

Upon entering, the front desk attendant was friendly and helpful. He got us checked in quickly at a reasonable rate and we were in our room a few minutes later. The 2 things we noticed right off - it was absolutely freezing in there and it smelled like cigarette smoke. Not like someone had just smoked - but like the room had been a smoking room for years and the smell was ingrained. We cranked the heater and did our best to stay warm as we prepared for bed. The sheets were icy cold and the floor was so cold you couldn't even walk in bare feet. I understand and appreciate the need to conserve energy - but this was a bit extreme! We woke up at 6am so hot we couldn't even think... the opposite extreme!

The breakfast bar offered up your standard fair of powdered-eggs and mini-frozen sausages along with some fruit, yogurt and muffins. Nothing special but enough to get you on your way.

Aside from those 2 issues, you have your basic 2 star hotel. It was clean enough, not the best linens or most comfortable bed, but functional. We'd probably go back to the HI Express next time, but it was worth saving about $60 at the Fairfield for the short time we were there.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2012

we were coming from TEXAS to Chicago, due to snow storm our flight was delayed 5 hours, we were meeting our son to get our granddaughter to bring back to TX, well they arrived at the hotel long before us and they were not stay all night, I called the hotel and spoke with Melanie, she let them have our hotel room key so the baby didn't have to stay outside in the storm for the 5 hours, I have never had a hotel do this before, THANK YOU,
the room was very toasty, and warm, and extremely clean, the only con was even though we had to leave 4 hours after arriving, they do not serve breakfast till late on weekends, so we couldn't eat before leaving, I would love to come back and stay here again for more then 4 hours

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family