“Basically a Clean Place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Kalkaska

Econo Lodge Kalkaska
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Kalkaska
South Bend, Indiana
“Basically a Clean Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my family in a room with 3 Beds. The room was huge and accomodating to 6 member of my family. The room was very clean and had everything that we needed for our stay. The breakfast area was small but had enough food to start our day. The staff was polite and friendly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dean S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

Rooms are dirty, fingerprints on the wall, I felt dirtier after having a shower than before, but that was not the worst of it. The guy running the place is a rude, unreasonable, cranky little hostile man. Upon check out, he would not allow me to pay cash for the room, stating it HAD to stay on my credit card! WHAT? After I get home, I find $1284 worth of FRAUDULENT charges on my card! VISA is investigating and they will be looking hard at the Kalkaska Econo Lodge operation. BEWARE......you have been warned! STAY AWAY!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Siko

Travellers are raving about these Kalkaska hotels

Portage, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

Attempted to book a room at the All Seasons resort down the street, however they neglected to return 3 of my phone calls to book a room, so I decided to get the points and try the Econo Lodge. And really it wasn't that bad. The owners and staff are very nice and do the best they can with the property-- it is what it is.

A couple of suggestions would be breakfast, try the Trout Town Cafe, 1 block east of "main" street, good grubs and Great wait staff! Also, if you need to workout, the "Kaliseum" has it all.. nice weight room, lap pool, etc..opens at 6am, $5 guest fee.

Anyway, I survived a week in Kalkaska at the Econo Lodge, great little town and no problems with the lodging.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Drinkwater11
Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

This hotel was AWFUL! The gentleman running the hotel was extremely rude and hostile. He did not want to give us our discounted rate, and only did so as I was on hold with the Choice Hotels customer service line. The room was even worse! Although there were "no smoking" signs plastered everywhere, the room reeked of cigarette smoke. The room was very outdated and run down. The bedsheets were not clean, nor was anything in the bathroom. The bed was not comfortable either. The stairs to get to the second floor were very steep and what I would consider unsafe. When we went to check out the next morning (1 day before our reservation was up), the gentleman at the front desk threw a huge fit and tried to charge us for more than one night. My husband and I were trying to celebrate our honeymoon on the way to Traverse City, and our one night at this hotel almost ruined it for us. It was so bad that we ended up going out on the town as late as we could so we didn't have to be there for long. This was the absolute worst hotel experience I have ever had, and I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone, even if it was a last resort.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MichiganSpanky
Tawas City, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

not a clean place-dirty hand prints around doors and on walls. toilet was not cleaned-you couldn't tell by looking, but when i went to wipe the seat off as a precaution the toilet paper "caught" on something......not cool! especially since we asked to check in early and they said we couldn't because they had to clean. there was only one skimpy spider as far as bugs go. although i didn't think to check for signs of bed bugs. i didn't get any bites that i know of. i'm hoping there weren't any that i brought home! we stayed one night and i skipped the shower experience cuz where the no skid tub mat edge met the tub there was unkown black cruddy crack. i'll pass! let's just say should NOT have the econolodge name! : ( the beds were decently comfortable-but again, i didn't check for signs of bed bugs so good luck.....

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank katerb
Ypsilanti, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

Old looking in side, smelled old. Very worn carpet. Not a floor you (at least I did not) walk on with bare feet. Room was shabby looking.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Bob48198
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

To be honest, the room was gross. Those ear wiggie things were in the bathroom, cigarette holes in both the blanket and the bedspread. It was late, thought the name econo lodge would be clean, but I will never, nor will my husband who goes Up North quite a bit for Snowmobiling. The free breakfast was was just that free. No fruits at all and the Danishes were still very cold. Coffee was ok. But of course had to bring back to your room and no trays for that either. So , he I was juggling 3 danishes a muffin and 2 coffees, had to make another trip for Juice for the kids. Definitely the place needs CLEANING and painting. pd 100 bucks, The would not take our discounts, we could have, should have driven to Traverse City, but had a toddler who needed to wind down and it was late. Do Not stay with a Family.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank sreneeKalamazoo_MI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalkaska
AmericInn Traverse City
#2 of 4 in Kalkaska
Traverse City MI Travelodge
Traverse City MI Travelodge
#19 of 40 in Traverse City

Been to Econo Lodge Kalkaska? Share your experiences!